Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoe Skis

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoe Skis
    Posted: March-29-2009 at 2:32am
I have started a new business making shoe skis and am hoping to grow from there. Are there skiers out there interested in this sport? It seems like wake boarding is king but there is more to life than just wake boarding.

Attached are a few designs that I am going to put on some of the skis. I currently have the grey, black & yellow design on my own personal pair. I am also attaching a picture of a pair of blanks that I have for sale. Let me know what you all think and if there is any interest! Thanks.

This design was inspired by the Forums/General Discussion/Tow Rig & Boat Combination. The Red & White 2000 Ski Nautique with matching Rig. The Ski Nautique would be white with black outlines, and the "N" would be white also.

This is the design to match my boat.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 11:16am
The shape of yours seem very directional. My son's are symmetrical for easy bacerds skiing and spinning. Where did you get your shape from?
I'd like a pair of the Nautique skis.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 11:24am
Brant,
Since shoe skis are "old school", take a look at the old 60's "Nautique" logo. It wasn't much but did have it's own letter style/font.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 1:49pm
The shape originally came from Skip Gilkerson of the Tommy Barlett Water ski show back in the 70's. My dad made them like that and have since changed the design very little except for adding taper up to the nose and 45 degree bevels going done each side. They work very well for turns.

I am selling blanks just like what you see in the picture for $50 to start with. If you want designs on them, I will have to give you a quote depending on how much extra you want.

The old '60's style font isn't much to look at but I did think about designing the '70's style. I've always liked the way they looked. Thanks for looking. My number is 815-222-0620
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 2:30pm
How do you start on shoe skis? Not making them, but skiing them? Like a deep water barefoot start?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by skierbrant skierbrant wrote:

The shape originally came from Skip Gilkerson of the Tommy Barlett Water ski show back in the 70's.

Really? Someones giving you a little story that's not true! I don't know where the shoe ski originated but they go back farther than the 70's. I remember our ski club members in the 60's going over the jump with them!!

Yes, you can do "deeps" with them or start off a disc or now a days, a wake skate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 4:05pm
I'm not saying that the shoe skis originated from the 70's. I was asked where my design came from. I know that shoe skis have been around a long time, we have just liked the design that Skip used.

If you don't want to worry about leaving anything in the water, then a deep water start is the best way. In show skiing, a sliding dock start is a fun way to start. I learned by straddling a trick ski.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 4:07pm
Tullfooter, let me know what color scheme you are interested in, and if you want "Bare Foot" on yours instead of "Ski", let me know. I will have to design the name and get graphics.
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 5:20pm
I have a pair of Brant's style of shoe ski's! I really think that they are awsome and have enjoyed mine for many years! I have also skied on the old round on both ends (hydroflights)! Brant's are so much better speaking from personnal use! I like to dry start off the dock (which Brant taught me) and I also do the deep water start! I also learned at a very young age of around 8 or 9 to get up with the trick ski between the legs. Brant did his awsome act for the Ski Broncs National Champion team in 1991! He can do as many tricks on his shoe skies as he does on a trick ski, but faster with the shoe skies.    
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 5:28pm
Skier Brant's dad also made trick skies, barefoot drop skies, saucers and many pairs of shoe skies. He has learned from the best! His pair that match his boat show how much pride he has in his shoe skiing and his boat! I have pulled him many times and I am always shocked to see the completed tricks in the mirror. Skierox is a good shoe skier, he does some of the step overs and back swan's, but Brant in in a league all his own. I am very pleased to see him offer these here at CCF.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:13am
Thank you Skierox and Pauly-Banana!

Here are two other designs to add to the skis. One is for the bottom like the other two that I have shown, the other is what I have on the top side of my personal skis.

I appologize for the quality of the pictures. These were drawn on a 2-D CAD system and exported as pictures.

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 10:26am
Brant,

Are you selling these with bindings? I would be interested to see your pair posted with an actual picture. I'm curious how you place the image on the ski.

I'm interested in a pair, probably without any graphics.

-John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 10:17pm
Here are pictures and prices of the shoe skis and bindings that I am offering.

KD bindings - one size fits all. The shoe skis and pair of bindings complete are $150.00 plus shipping.

HO bindings - one size fits all. The shoe skis and pair of bindings complete are $200.00 plus shipping.

Wiley Low Wraps - size Medium. The shoe skis and pair of bindings complete are $260.00 plus shipping. (I can get different sizes if there is interest in these bindings small - X-Large)

Shoe Ski Blanks - 3/4" x 7 1/2" x 18 1/2" Blanks are sold for $50.00 plus shipping. Any added graphics will be quoted depending on number of colors and graphics you want added.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 4:16pm
I have three different types of bindings to choose from to mount to the shoe skis that I am offering. I modified my previous post with new pictures. As you can see I have not mounted the bindings but I will as they are ordered.

Thanks for looking!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 4:38pm
If you don't barefoot, but can waterski well, are these shoe skis easy to get up and stay up on?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 7:58pm
I know how this guy got into this, he use to make bigfoot shoes and run through the woods, they caught on and he cut all the toe's off...I laugh, cause i do business with a guy in Bellingham Washington and its always a 2 hour conversation on all the sightings...he is pretty tight with Bob gimblin?? the partner of the guy who shot the 1967 patterson footage of BF, he's had a few encounters himself, e-mailed me some footprints and got screeched at, oh and BTW, the reason they havnt found a dead one yet is....they bury thier dead....what a spin
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 9:09pm
You can get up on shoe skis several different ways. If you have a knee board, you can sit on the kneeboard with your feed straddling each side, and stand up shortly after take off. A saucer works very well but not too many people have one of those. I learned by straddling an old trick ski but now I deep up like a barefoot start. The skis are fairly easy to ski on but when you first ski on them they will seem a little squirrely. I think it is just because the muscles in your legs aren't use to it. The speed is approximately 22 mph so you don't have to go very fast. There are several videos on you tube showing some neat tricks if you search "shoe skiing".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 11:59pm
Here is a picture of a back swan on shoe skis.

Here is a deep water shoe ski start.

I am waiting to get out on the water so I can get some video on how to get up on shoe skis and add the video to this site.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 1:06am
Finally I have designed a Bare Foot Nautique graphic for the barefooters who are interested. The graphics would be in white and colors of their choice. I can make them with or without the feet!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If you don't barefoot, but can waterski well, are these shoe skis easy to get up and stay up on?

I would say no. A deepwater start on shoe skis is by no means easy. It is very difficult to butt glide at such a slow speed. If you cannot do a barefoot deepwater start forget about it on the shoe skis. The sliding dock start is easier on the skier but requires something out of the driver, then once you fall it's either back to the dock or a deepwater (most likely).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

QUOTE]

I would say no. A deepwater start on shoe skis is by no means easy. It is very difficult to butt glide at such a slow speed. If you cannot do a barefoot deepwater start forget about it on the shoe skis. The sliding dock start is easier on the skier but requires something out of the driver, then once you fall it's either back to the dock or a deepwater (most likely).

The deep water start is easy if you look at it differently than a barefoot start. The barefoot start, once you are planing, you can stay gliding on your rear for a while. The shoe ski deep water is a much quicker motion. You still start out with your back arched during take off (The boat should be pulling you out hard like a barefoot deep). The difference is, once you feel your body come up on plane, you immediately rock forward and stand up. There is no butt gliding in shoe skiing. The skis are too slippery and harder to get underneath you. It is definitely possible but I find it easier doing it my way. What you should feel when you rock forward is this motion will almost shoot you out of the water. The only thing the driver has to do once you stand up, is back off on the throddle so you aren't going 40 mph! My wife drives for me and I've taught many of my friends as well.

Hollywood, come to Rockford and I'll be glad to help you!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 5:19pm
I have no problem with it, just saying if you aren't comfortable with a barefoot deep start the shoe start won't be easy to pick up. What I meant by "it is very difficult to butt glide at such slow speeds" is that you pretty much can't! (Atleast I don't nor have seen anyone bother to do it or try). You can stay layed out a little but you worded it very well, you go from flat to standing very quickly. I don't like either deep start but you gotta do 'em. Thanks for the offer, looking forward to some good skiing at GL. If we don't crap the bed this year might even catch you at Nationals?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If we don't crap the bed this year might even catch you at Nationals?

I'm almost too scared to ask! I hope this is some term that means something else?! Are you with a show team?

Looking forward to meeting many CCF's at GL. I do actually sit down and glide on my butt while shoe skiing. Works good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2009 at 3:31am
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Brant,

Are you selling these with bindings? I would be interested to see your pair posted with an actual picture. I'm curious how you place the image on the ski.

I'm interested in a pair, probably without any graphics.

-John

Thank you John for your order. Let me know if you would like some coaching tips!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic