NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boatmate Trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boatmate Trailers
    Posted: March-29-2009 at 3:38am
I am thinking about replacing my original '93 Sport Nautique trailer with a tandem axle trailer from Boatmate. I found lots of good feedback from owners on some of the Malibu forums but could only dig up this thread on CCF

The guy definitely seemed to like his Boatmate trailer in this thread.Boatmate on CCF

Has anyone had any experience with these trailers?
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:52pm
I have a 2006 tandem axle Boatmate trailer with four wheel disc brakes and oil bath bearings under my 2006 216. Overall I have been very happy with it. My only complaint is the rear seal on the left front wheel began to leak oil over the winter of 2008. It was replaced under warranty. Unfortunately it has started to leak again this winter and now the left rear wheel is leaking too. I have yet to contact Boatmate. I hope this is not a trait with the oil bath bearing seals.
Jim
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 1:43pm
Jim,
Do you have the "Vault" bearing system? I was told that the trailer would have the Vault bearing system which uses a hybrid grease/oil that is a solid grease while cold then turns to a liquid once it warms up. The bearing system is supposed to be maintenance free and has a five year warranty.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 2:11pm
I can't stand the site of a leaking oil bath hub, such a mess. Maybe I just don't trailer enough, but grease seems to work fine for me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 3:21pm
HW,
I don't like the site or mess of leaking things either. But in this case It may be better to see the oil leaking in your garage than to find out that the seal was compromised and allowing water to be sucked in while your sitting on the side of the road fixing it...

James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 4:34pm
I do not have the "vault" system. I've never heard of it. My bearings use Royal Purple synthetic 50W (I thinks it's straight 50W) oil.
Jim
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 4:47pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 4:54pm
Pete, love the marketing, how convenient!

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 5:49pm
Doesn't Rob Leinen have a Boatmate Trailer
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 5:56pm
Trailmaster, he loves it. I'm sure he'd give you an update on how it's holding up.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:00pm
Trailmaster, That's what I said.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:05pm
typo
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:56pm
I used to work right next door to Boat Mate in Maryville TN at Skiers Choice (Supra/Moomba) They build Trailers for Centurion,Malibu,Supra,Moomba and some Correct Craft. They will build custom as well. Contact Jerry or Owen at Boatmate they can help answer any questions you may have.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:41pm
So there seems to be some discrepancy on whether or not a trailer intended for a 1999 Sport Nautique will fit my '93 Sport. I have read the brochures and manuals in the reference section and they list both years as having the same length, beam, draft and weight. here is the letter I just got back from Owen at Boatmate:

Hello Randy,

I should have sent you a message letting you know that I haven’t made progress confirming whether or not a trailer for a 1999 Sport Nautique would fit your 1993 Sport Nautique. I’ve tried researching the forum, brochures and manuals available at correctcraftfan.com, but nothing I’ve found makes me confident that the trailer will fit perfectly.

I’ve talked to the two CC “experts” that I know. Both are adamant that the hull changed between 1993 and 1999, but they are not certain that the hull change would affect the trailer fit. They both think that the bow eye location changed and that the bow stop for the 1999 SN would not be the correct height for the 1993 SN. The “expert” in whom I have the most confidence says that CC used the same trailer for the 1993 SN and the 1993 Ski Nautique and that the trailer had an adjustable bow stop to account for the 18” difference in boat length. I have the fit for the 1993 Ski Nautique, but I’m not confident I can “stretch” the trailer 18” and come up with a perfect fit for your boat.

To summarize, I can build you a 1999 Sport Nautique trailer or I can build a 1883 Ski Nautique trailer stretched 18”. I can not guarantee that either on will fit perfectly. I have attached a photo that shows the basic form that this trailer would have.

Let me know what you think. I’m sorry I couldn’t come up with a better answer for you.

Best regards,
Owen E. Shelton
BoatMate Trailer, Inc.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:51pm
The Sport hull did change in '98, but whether it affects the trailer fit is really a function of Boatmate's design. I can guarantee that CC/Ramlin didnt change the trailer design between the 2 boats- but they use a relatively poor fitting wishbone style. My guess is that the '99 Sport trailer would be pretty damn close to your '93, though. The front portion of the boats (2nd and 3rd gen Sports) dont look very (if at all) different to my eye- most of the changes should be in the back half of the running surface (similar to the TSC change on the Ski Nautique).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:53pm
So from what I understand, the big question is, was the bow eye location moved from the '93 to '99 designs.
Can anyone confirm this or take measurements from a '99 - '02 for me?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:56pm
What makes that so important, Randy? I hope youre not considering the boat buddy option- MC uses them on their trailers and they arent a very popular feature.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:07pm
Tim,

according to the email from Owen at Boatmate, the bow eye location may be a problem with the bow stop location.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:09pm
I would not suggest the Boat Buddy either we had many problems with them on the Supra boats at our factory as well, they can scratch the heck out if the gel coat when trying to get it to latch. I always just use the old style turnbuckle that has been on Correct Crafts for years.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:16pm
Yes, I read of trouble with the boat buddy. Not planning on going that route.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:33pm
They are probably concerned with the height of the roller or maybe even a keel v-pad.

Randy, 98-02 would work for your measurement needs.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:34pm
here is the picture Owen sent me of what the basic trailer would look like.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:48pm
HW,

I don't think they have a keel v-pad on these trailers. I think the question is with the height of the bow roller.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:58pm
Update from Owen... Here is my email to him and his response:

Randy,

I believe the span from the bottom of the rub rail at the bow point to the
center of the bow eye will tell us what we need to know. This measurement
would be taken along the keel.

If those two measurements are different we would also need the horizontal
span from the point of the bow to the hull at the center of the bow eye for
both models. This tells me how far back the bow eye is located from the
point of the bow.

Ramlin' may not have the measurement required since they used the "crash
pads" instead of a bow-roller type stop.

Good luck. We'd love to build you a trailer.

Owen E. Shelton
BoatMate Trailer, Inc.
1713 Henry G Lane Street
Maryville, TN 37801
(T) 865-273-1100
(F) 865-273-1101
www.boatmatetrailers.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:05 AM
To: Owen Shelton
Subject: Re: BoatMate trailer

Owen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

from what I have read in the manuals and brochures, the length, beam, draft
and weight are exactly the same on both the '93 and '99 Sport. I can not
find anything about the bow eye location. I will see if I can find someone
with access to a '99-02 Sport who could measure it. What would I need to
measure? the distance from the eye to the top deck or the eye to the bottom
of the keel? I will try to get both measurements. I may call Ram-lin
trailers too and see if I can get any info out of them on the trailer design
change from those years. I believe they made a lot of the original CC
trailers. I really like the looks and quality of the Boatmate trailer and
hope I will be able to use your trailer. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
Randy
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 4:04pm
I had them build a custom trailer for my 08 210. It pulls perfectly and supports the boat
with extra bunks. I dealt with Owen he went over and above to get me my trailer.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 4:11pm
Nice looking setup hunter. But I think those wheels may be a little to flashy for my '93...

Yes, Owen is great, real nice guy that seems to really care about the customer. They make a real nice looking trailer.

I need someone with access to a 98-02 to measure the distance from the rub rail to the bow eye for me. Please help!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 4:27pm
Ditch the whole keel roller idea and go with crash pads, done deal! Looks like Boatmate does not have a similar design towards the front of the trailer though, modifications might be needed. It's a preference thing, I like the crash pads much more than that roller.

Rob Leinen's Trailmaster

Needs no introduction - Performance Trailer

Rusty2sb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty2sb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I am thinking about replacing my original '93 Sport Nautique trailer with a tandem axle trailer from Boatmate. I found lots of good feedback from owners on some of the Malibu forums but could only dig up this thread on CCF

The guy definitely seemed to like his Boatmate trailer in this thread.Boatmate on CCF

Has anyone had any experience with these trailers?

Want to sell your old trailer? :)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 6:22pm
Rusty,
Send me an email.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Ditch the whole keel roller idea and go with crash pads, done deal! Looks like Boatmate does not have a similar design towards the front of the trailer though, modifications might be needed. It's a preference thing, I like the crash pads much more than that roller.

The dealer talked me out of the crash pads and into the roller stop on my 206, Major mistake, never again!! Only use the trailer a handful of times each year, otherwise that roller stop would be history!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic