Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new style stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new style stringers
    Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:18pm
Email sent!
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:44pm
Ryan,

Sounds great. I would like to see them when they arrive.
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll stop bye.

I am in the middle of replacing my stringers you should stop and take a look. It will give you an idea what you will be getting into.

Paul
Pgaski@Hotmail.com
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:33am
Paul,

Not sure yet, they should be here in a couple days. I was in Orlando in Feb. and stopped by to meet George and Christine and see their work first hand. From what I've seen at their shop, their quality is second to none.

You are more than welcome to check them out if you like. I actually work in Plymouth. I gave Laird's (on Ann Arbor) a chance but they were actually more expensive.

Ryan
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:44am
Ryan,

Yes. I misread the post. How are the new skins. I was thinking of ordering from Christine's. Good Quality?

Paul
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 10:52pm
Paul,

Is that question directed towards me? If so, I ordered new skins from Christine's in Orlando and will be installing them myself.

Ryan
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 9:50pm
Pete,
Who is doing your interior work? I live in Plymouth and I'm looking for a good shop to recover my seats.

Paul
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 9:50pm
Pete,

It actually started snowing again a little bit ago. Probably not going to stick, but it's sure hard to think positive when the weather is like this!

I was pulling all the interior and carpet out of my boat yesterday and I noticed a soft spot in the floor directly underneath the driver seat base. Made me think about the floor, and what's below of course. I'm not worried that the boat is going to structurally fail right away, but I'm struggling now with putting a new interior in knowing the floor might have to come out sooner that I thought.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 9:26pm
Ryan,
Yes, your mind is wandering but that's ok!!

Lots of work would be needed to build up the old glass in thickness to compensate for the lost strength of the missing wood. Also, it's rare that the wood comes out without damaging the old glass. Typically it needs to be cut out.

Are you getting worried about your boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 7:51pm
The 93 brochure definitely helps visualize the process. Thanks!

From the pics I've seen different guys post, isn't the shell of the stringer usually intact after removing the wood? Could it be used as a mold and filled with similar foam and glassed over? Probably a stupid question, but it's a crummy day here in Michigan and my mind is wandering.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

My speculation is that without a mold for the integrated fiberglass stringers, it's just too much effort.

Brian,

Your speculation is correct. A mold to form the fiberglass skins of the stringers wouldn't be impossible but yes, lots of work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 6:55pm
It is an integrated composite stringer system of Fiberglass, foam, and some aluminum reinforcement. See the 93 Sales Brochure in the reference section for a diagram.

My speculation is that without a mold for the integrated fiberglass stringers, it's just too much effort. Some have used composite foam (hasbeen skier) or coosa board (joe in NY), but the fir works fine, has lasted 25 years or more, and will last even longer when replaced, because most people do a better job with the rebuild than the original construction. BKH
Livin' the Dream

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 5:35pm
I've read through quite a few of the threads about stringer replacement. Seems like most decide to use CPES treated fir in the end. I was wondering specifically what is used in newer boats. If I remember right, the 93 on boats don't use wood. Is that correct? What do they use and why don't people mirror that process instead? Is it cost?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic