NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CO2 horn conversion

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO2 horn conversion
    Posted: April-05-2009 at 3:21pm
In Michell's (sanity) thread I have a horn, we discussed the old air horns that used a disposable cartridge of Freon to drive them. Since these larger Freon cylinders are no longer available, (the Freon tank about the size of a propane torch tank) it got me going on investigating long overdue alternates. I haven't had a horn it at least 5 years!!

The air compressor and tank method always bothered me. Besides being expensive (about $400 plus) I never liked the idea of driving along and hearing a air compressor start up and run under the bow deck of the boat ether. They also draw around 18 amps - although the on time to build up the pressure after a couple of horn bows is only about a minute, that 18 is a lot for our older boats with small alternators.

Looking into both a small bottle of nitrogen and CO2 I decided on the CO2 because it's a liquid and when it converts to a gas it's about twice the volume (cu. ft.) as the nitrogen - I don't want to be changing that bottle very often!! The 5lb. cylinder of CO2 I calculated out to be about triple the volume as the old Freon depending on the temperature. Both CO2 and nitrogen however do require pressure regulation. the air horns run on a nominal 100PSI. This regulation requirement was the reason the Freon were used - R12 depending on the temp has a vapor pressure just over the 100psi.

5lb. CO2 tank under bow deck

Regulator, solenoid and mounting to bow lifting ring down rod

Tank base

The 5lb aluminum CO2 tank I found new on ebay for $48.00 If you find used, it will be cheaper but be careful with the expiration date for tank hydro testing. Buying used isn't bad because when you have it filled, typically you will get another tank and not yours anyway.

I went to my welding gas supplier and the 5lbs of CO2 was $15.00

I did some testing on shop compressed air and found the horn to be very happy at 100psi. Below about 80psi, the horn diaphragm (it makes the noise) has a problem even vibrating. The regulator needed is the higher pressure type used on soda gun systems. They will be adjustable for a low pressure max of about 160lbs. Beer CO2 regulators max out (blows the safety valve) at only 55psi and will not work.

I got my regulator from a friend but did shop on ebay and saw them going for as low as 28.00 used and 49.00 new (buy it now price)

Well, now it's off to get a new solenoid valve. I found out my old one leaks! Not surprising being 45 years old! Probably the reason that 30lb tank of reclaim freon leaked out 5 years ago!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:22pm
Pete,
Ive been checking and I dont think that CO2 tank is the original style?!?!

...........gotta get even when we get a chance!

Actually, that looks like a pretty cool way to power an air horn! Obviously, depending on how often you use the horn, how long do you think the tank will last?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:31pm
Yeah Pete, that's not going in your Dunphy is it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 11:00pm
Steve and Bruce,
Yes it IS mounted in the X55 and NO it isn't original!!!

I really don't have to rationalize this because the Freon tanks are no longer available and this is as close to original as you can get - acceptable practice! It's still a gas powering the ORIGINAL air horn and it certainly isn't a air compressor with a surge tank. I can safely say that no points would be deducted with this method in a ACBS event!! I'd question a compressor set up.

Hard to say how much life or blows I'll get. The last Freon tank I had lasted 2 summers and as mentioned the CO2 is 3 times the volume. Knowing I have that tank under there, I may be inclined to blow the horn more often?? I'll see what happens!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 11:36pm
Pete,
Did they use freon tanks in factory installations of horns,/ what "generations"?

I've seen a couple of types of power sources... My 68 cuda has an under-dash compressor, which I have no reason to believe wouldn't have been original to that horn. Have you seen these?

The other is the "bicycle-pump" type that is still in it's original box.

btw, you know Im just ribbing you on the tank... I am going to check that out myself...Looks like a great option!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:24am
A setup like that makes me start thinking about adding an outrageously loud horn to the rig for no good reason other than it being outrageously loud. And, a loud horn might just save somebody's life on the water!

Here's some inspiration- these guys specialize in putting train horns into cars.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve and Bruce,
Knowing I have that tank under there, I may be inclined to blow the horn more often?? I'll see what happens!

Everyone will say there goes Pete, he's blowing his own horn
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 9:54am
Steve,
My 69 Barracuda has the same setup as yours, and has worked without fail, or fill up for as long as I can remember. Freon was used in factory installations for some years in the 60's and well into the 70's. Thats what powered the hand held air horns that many boaters used. I remember my father had a freon powered contraption that pre chilled martini glasses before use!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 5:15pm
It works!!! Fantastic!!!

The delay in getting it tested was replacing the original solenoid valve. When I hooked it up I found the 45 year old valve leaking. Probably where the 2 - 30lb tanks of reclaim Freon went to that I had hooked up to it!! I couldn't hear the leak with the hose to the horn hooked up.

I ended up getting a aluminum body valve from Buell (the air horn manufacturer) figuring it would be best suited for flow and shut off ability. I'll still shut off the tank valve when not using the boat.

Now, the true test will to see if my calculations are correct on the usage I'll get out of 15lbs of CO2. I'll make sure I go under plenty of bridges this summer so I have a reason to blow it. I'll keep track of the blows!!

BTW, the pressure regulator is set to 100psi.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 5:34pm
Pete,

We need to put you on a television show. Mythbusters? Maybe we need to make a new program just for you! You are so intelligent!
Michelle
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 1:19pm
bump for bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2020 at 2:06pm
I thought I'd report that the 5 lb. CO@ still has plenty in it after 11 years. Deduct 7 for the X55 being laid up and that makes it 4 years of usage. So, I'm happy that I didn't go with the air compressor surge tank retrofit. I'll have to crawl under the deck and take a look at the gauge to see how much is actually in it. I had expected some leakage through the years but evidently that solenoid valve held tight and I didn't even shut the tank valve 7 years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 7:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I thought I'd report that the 5 lb. CO@ still has plenty in it after 11 years. Deduct 7 for the X55 being laid up and that makes it 4 years of usage. So, I'm happy that I didn't go with the air compressor surge tank retrofit. I'll have to crawl under the deck and take a look at the gauge to see how much is actually in it. I had expected some leakage through the years but evidently that solenoid valve held tight and I didn't even shut the tank valve 7 years ago.

So if you haven't looked at the gauge, how do you know there's plenty left in it ?

Maybe you honked the horn twice and now the bottle's only got one more last dying gasp of a honk left in it

You should probably check the hydro date too while you're crawling under there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So if you haven't looked at the gauge, how do you know there's plenty left in it ?

Maybe you honked the horn twice and now the bottle's only got one more last dying gasp of a honk left in it

You should probably check the hydro date too while you're crawling under there

Ken,
Well, I learned something today. You can't tell what's in the tank by looking at the pressure gauge. The CO2 will vaporize and develop the indicated pressure by what the temperature is. So, shot the tank with the IR, it indicated 84 degrees and per the chart sure enough the pressure is at 1005 PSI. The only way to find out how much is still in the tank is by weight or as you mentioned just keep using it. BTW, I'm not going to pull it just to get the weight. It was enough of a problem just crawling under the deck to take a look!!

Yes, the hydro is due but that per the regulations will happen at the next refill.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 8:43pm
You should be good for maybe 20 more years of "honkin" according to this guy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic