Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spray’s Tow Boat Test 1982

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spray’s Tow Boat Test 1982
    Posted: April-05-2009 at 4:28pm
This was the most comprehensive test done on the five most prominent tournament tow boats in 1982! The entire testing process was conducted by Spray's evaluation team with a keen eye to objectivity and detail; was critical in measuring spray, wake and sound levels! There was NO attempt made at evaluating cosmetics of the boats made! Spray said "While the attractiveness or creature comforts of a boat may make you a proud owner, they don't affect your skiing." I have listed all seven pages that were shown in the Fall of 1982 Spray issue. My hope is that this would generate some discussion. These were very factual test without the influence of the boat companies dictating what was printed!

Spray Height and Width-The Ski Nautique 2001 had the lowest spray height at 2'4" tall!

Wake Height-Take a good look at this! The Ski Nautique 2001 at 36 mph at 28 off had better scores than Mastercraft and took second to American Skier!

Acceleration without skiers-Mastercrafts power slot was easily the best.

Acceleration with four skiers-Mastercraft power slot was easily best.

It was too bad that the Ski Nautique 2001 did not have an Acme 540 prop or the 1:23 gear reduction during that year!

Fuel Consumption

Sound Level

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:11pm
Very, very interesting. Thanks for the post.

...those who have fallen and those who will.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:18pm
Thats sweet. I wonder why the nautuque was so much slower with 4 skiers but faster than other boats with no skiers. Probably bow rise. My boat pulls up a little higher with more skiers behind it than with one or none. I need a 540 the 4 blade 13x13 oj legend super cup is to much prop. It only turns 4100 wide open.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 10:40pm
I owned an 82 Mastercraft powerslot and it had absolutely zero bow rise, with a stock 351 that boat pulled four deepwater barefooters anytme.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 11:55pm
hey Pauly this is really great stuff you're bringing here, is there any chance all this scans could go into a new site section???

My eyes are hurting trying to read the scans! have any of you noticed all 5 boats used a 351?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:46am
Alan, what caused you to switch to the 1981 Ski Nautique? I never really did much with the Mastercrafts, but was approached by Rob Shirley back in 1968 about buying his new boat at a three event tournament. I have tricked behind a 1976 red, white and blue! That is all I have on the Mastercraft.

Thanks! Sorry that the photo bucket shoots were not any clearer. Any other ideas, let me know to improve the images.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Pauly-Banana Pauly-Banana wrote:

Alan, what caused you to switch to the 1981 Ski Nautique? I never really did much with the Mastercrafts, but was approached by Rob Shirley back in 1968 about buying his new boat at a three event tournament. I have tricked behind a 1976 red, white and blue! That is all I have on the Mastercraft.

Interestingly enough Pauly around 1984 we had my 82 MC, a 83 2001 and an 81 Ski Supreme all tied up at my dock. I lived on the lake and we skied just about 7 days a week. All three boats were good rigs but the Mastercraft got 70% of all the hours. It was just a good pulling rig and with the lower freeboard and wider hull than the other 2 boats it had more room in it and turned flatter.

The Supreme was a great boat and the Nautique had the new 2001 look that is still classic today but performance wise the MC had it hands down.

That was 25+ years ago and I went through a phase of about 15 years without a boat, when I decided to get back into it I was simply looking for a Classic Ski boat and a pre 2001 was all I wanted. Who would have known I'd be skiing as much as I do now at this age but I truly thought I'd be just cruising around towing the kids. These things have a way of bringing you back to life.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

That was 25+ years ago and I went through a phase of about 15 years without a boat, when I decided to get back into it I was simply looking for a Classic Ski boat and a pre 2001 was all I wanted. Who would have known I'd be skiing as much as I do now at this age but I truly thought I'd be just cruising around towing the kids. These things have a way of bringing you back to life.

The way you were slaying buoys at ski school I'd say you were definitely brought back! Transformation complete.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:50am
the MC with the powerslot was even cheaper than the other boats equipped with the 1:1!!!

What would happen testing a "powerplus" 2001 against the Powerslot Mastercraft.

I wonder why CC waited 8 years to bring a reduction geared boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 10:17pm
Not sure about why it took so long for Correct Craft and PCM to come together and make the "power plus" transmission system, but I would like to discuss an important item missing from the boat specifications!

There is NO mention of the type of prop used on each boat. We know that this alone would make a huge difference! Today, we know that an Acme 540 prop used for skiing has greatly improved the performance of the older Correct Crafts. For many years the Federal 13X13 prop was placed on a lot of Correct Craft boats! The prop was excellent for creating a flat table for trick skiers, but does not have the "punch" out of the hole that other props were delivering! Best money that I spent was on my new 540 prop. It would be interesting to find out what prop the Mastercraft was using along with the other tow boats!      
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:49pm
Pauly, My powerslot had a 14x16 on it, don't quote me but I believe the original was a 14x18 but I'm not sure. I remember propping it down so we could pull the 4 deep footers but it still ran 44 on the top end. That prop brought the rpm's to 4800 which was beyond were PCM intended it to go.

I reference to the 540 on a Nautique, I run one on the 81 which we know is a much smaller boat than the 2001 but the results are dramatic over a 13x13 cast prop. The 540 also brings a 351 to around 4800.

And Joel thanks for the kudos, I said to you last year that my only goal was to make sure I had fun every time I skied but going hard is in my blood. No matter what I try I can't do it any other way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:54pm
Pauly, another observation about the 13x13 for a flat trick wake is that no one tricks any more. Joel and I were in heaven watching the trickers at bennetts a few weeks ago but thats about the only place I ever see real trick skiers these days. So I would bet no one even knows there's a table difference between the old and the new cnc props. All the talk is about wake ramp and or rooster tail for slalom, one of these days I'm going to pull Joel through the course behind my 81 and see what he's really made of!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 12:20am
Alan, I would have liked to have seen this same test with the Acme 540 on the 1982 2001! I have pulled a 14 person pyramid off the dock back in 1992 with the old 13X13 prop! It's a system of knowing when and how to provide power at the right moment! The take off speed when ropes are tight is so critical. If it is too fast they tumble forward and too slow they sink too far into the water to pull them out. You have to have momentum, but can't jerk the skiers off the dock. I sure wish that I had my 540 back then, but I am really happy that I get to use it now! It is like a whole new boat! This summer we pulled ten skiers each on two skis out of the water. I used a twink to connect all ten skiers to the center pylon. The boat did the job, but should have switched out some larger skiers. We were able to grunted it out! Some cabin owners took pictures and will post after we meet up with them to include the shots on this site. One 1993 Malibu boat owner skied in this and was offered a chance for his boat to complete the same task and he said, "NO WAY, my boat will only do seven!" I am not sure if that is true, but I do like the fact that he knows mine will take a challenge and most likely succeed!     
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 12:20am
you speak of Bennetts. Were you at Bennetts ski school in Louisanna?
83Ski
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 1:47am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

one of these days I'm going to pull Joel through the course behind my 81 and see what he's really made of!!!!

Had to laugh Alan. I remember when my brother got his first C/C...we could've cared less about the wake. Never knew they bad wakes or lots of side spray. Now-a-days my boat is best for going fast. You wanna serious ski I gotta go find my friend Gary B with my old '98. What a difference the newer boats make.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:10am
you speak of Bennetts. Were you at Bennetts ski school in Louisanna?

You bet we were. 4th time for us, first time for 81.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 12:21pm
You mentioned ski school and it jogged my memory...my wife and I were in South Africa last fall (highly recommend the trip) and while driving between Johannesburg and Kruger Nat Park there was a ski school right next to the highway. There was only one dock but in the lift there was a Ski Nautique. Everyone in our van probably thought I was crazy upon the announcement to my wife. Unfortunately I couldn't get my camera up quick enough. Sorry no pics. There was another boat that I could see on trailer that looked like an Air Nautique but not 100% sure. What a trip. This spotting made the long drive to Kruger that much better.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 3:10pm
M3Fan
I grew up skiing with Jay and Anne. Jay was quite the skier in his day. One of the best in the country. Good people.
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

M3Fan
I grew up skiing with Jay and Anne. Jay was quite the skier in his day. One of the best in the country. Good people.

It was our first visit there and we felt like we've known them for years, it was a great week spent with some new and old freinds then topped off with a crawfish boil listening to Jays stories which I think could have lasted all night.

Pauly, Really looking forward to meeting you at Green Lake this summer, your input to the site and history/knowledge of our sport and favorite boat brand is very enjoyable.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:09pm
Considering that I have the 1982 American Skier that they speak of in this article I would really like to get a copy of it. Is there anyway that you can email me the pictures so that I can have them in full size?

Thanks!
Arne3680 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arne3680 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 5:46am
10 years late, but does anybody still has the article?
I would love to read it because I own a American Skier!

Thanks in advance!
American Skier 1978
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 7:57am
What do you see when you look at the first post in this thread? Fuzzy pictures maybe

Go to the thread in the link below and read the post from 10/9 1106 pm and it might help. depending on what you use for a web browser.

link
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 9:22am
Timely resurrection because Jay Bennett was just inducted into the skiing hall of fame.

I too went to their ski school, probably around 1984.

I cannot for the life of me remember the boats. I remember the lakes well, and the ramp.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 9:35am
One of the boat driver's names for the test sounds strangely familiar
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Pauly-Banana Pauly-Banana wrote:

Alan, I would have liked to have seen this same test with the Acme 540 on the 1982 2001

I have a 540 on my 82 SN. Happy to provide any performance data next time out.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 9:28pm
How about the acceleration test with no skier and again with 4 skiers

Idle speed to 357.5 feet with 580 pounds of crew weight

maybe fuel consumption too.

Maybe just duplicate all the tests
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic