Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cost to replace stringers and floor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nautique99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost to replace stringers and floor?
    Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:00am
While I would love to do the job myself, I just don't have the time (and probably patience) to replace the stringers and floor on my '84 SN.

Has anyone paid to have it done? What did it cost and what were your results, happy with the job?

Also, if anyone can recommend a shop on the east end of Long Island, NY I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:12am
I would also be interested in approximately how much the cost of materials is to do it yourself?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:27pm
To have a shop do the work, I have heard quotes in the $4k-8k range. Hopefully others will chime in who have gotten quotes. To do it yourself with the best materials, expect to spend ~$1500. Maybe a little less if you dont refoam. Its a very labor intensive job!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:25pm
Dave (Moj) What was that price you got from the guy I had you go to? 3K or 4K?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:27pm
The problem is that for $3-4k, you are not getting nearly as good of a job as you think you are. There is simply no way.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:28pm
Mine was closer to $1900 for the Barracuda. I do a lots of stuff left over. It is hard to order only what you will need.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Mine was closer to $1900 for the Barracuda. I do a lots of stuff left over. It is hard to order only what you will need.

Wow, you must have a TON left over! I just checked and my total was just under $1k for the Tique... and I refoamed.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow, you must have a TON left over! I just checked and my total was just under $1k for the Tique... and I refoamed.

Yeah... like about 500 brushes... I foamed also. I used 3 of the 2lb kits. It just kept adding up
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:48pm

Yeah... like about 500 brushes... I foamed also. I used 3 of the 2lb kits. It just kept adding up

Ahh, I gotcha. I did have to put in a second order of epoxy... that mat just sucks it up. When are we going to see some pictures of that 'Cuda?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave (Moj) What was that price you got from the guy I had you go to? 3K or 4K?

Yes, the guy you recommended came in @ $4K complete for the 76' SN. He sid he did them all the time at that price...

I didn't really get that involved into what they did for that price, because when I learned of the cost, I backed out anyway...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:03pm
Timmy we all strive to be as good as you.But I seem to fall way short of the "BAR" There are lots of ways to cut corners and save money on the essentials.
The first way is going with less expensive mat and epoxy.If this was only a cost basis then I go as cheap as possible, as to resell the boat and turn a profit.
But for my stuff or for a paying client, West System Only.Good parts cost good money, and my labor goes to the highest bidder.
I have done enough of these , I no longer need the practice.The last on here was a Ski Supreme, boy what a piece of work.The top cap presents a small problem when installing the floor,but this too was only a slight "speed bump" on the highway of LIFE>>>>>>>>>>
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:07pm
Dave, the bottom line for stringers, floor and carpet in my shop would be about the same, add foam and more labor if this is wanted by the customer.
Good work aint cheap..........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

The problem is that for $3-4k, you are not getting nearly as good of a job as you think you are. There is simply no way.

Mike (and others),
Yes, this is the low end price. I believe polyester resin and no foam. It was also not a marina/fiberglass shop. Simply a side job by someone who I know does it and has the skills to do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:27pm
Doc, you should know me well enough to know that I dont cut corners. I used the same methods and materials on all my boats- the ones I keep and the ones I dont. Not sure what your problem is with US Composites, but I have used it with good results, as have MANY people here on CCF. Perhaps others add the ancilliary stuff to their rebuilding cost (tools, brushes, PPE, etc)? I dont, as I either have it on hand or buy it seperately. I bought my wood locally as well. I guess that may factor in to the final cost.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:53pm
I still have not added mine up. Still don't really want to. Off the top of my head, I would say $2000 for the materials. This does include re-fitting rear mounts and brackets, bilgekote, dash paint, and the like. I bought other stuff too, so my entire project was somewhat more. Tim, i kinda think you have to add brushes and everything to the equation. I bet I went through a hundred of them.
I used West Systems and bought at West Marine, so there is an added expense in that alone. I have not tried any of the other epoxy systems and this was my frist experience with anything like that. I am so happy with how that stuff works, that I would not try anything different. Kinda like I have only owned Correct Crafts! ;^)
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 2:57pm

Mike (and others),
Yes, this is the low end price. I believe polyester resin and no foam. It was also not a marina/fiberglass shop. Simply a side job by someone who I know does it and has the skills to do it.

I would have to really, and I mean REALLY like someone a lot to do it for twice that.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:09pm

Ahh, I gotcha. I did have to put in a second order of epoxy... that mat just sucks it up. When are we going to see some pictures of that 'Cuda?

Been taking pictures all along just have not gotten around to posting. Stringers are done and Foaming is 99% complete. Motor is ready to go in after I set the forward flooring. Flooring has been cut, sealed and ready to set. Got the Transmission back from Andy in Charlotte this weekend. He said that it is ready to go. Maybe I can get something more done this weekend.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:25pm

Mike (and others),

I would have to really, and I mean REALLY like someone a lot to do it for twice that.

Same here. Doing your own boat is one thing, but someone else's? No way!

When I say $1k, I am strictly talking fiberglass materials. A full stringer and floor job usually requires a lot more parts- I know better than to even attempt to add up what I spent restoring either of my boats! Mechanicals, carpet/interior, engine work, hardware, misc bits, cosmetics, yikes!

I just checked West Marine's pricing on West epoxy. Looks like ~$95/gal vs. $61/gallon for US Composites. That alone will add up to a few hundred bucks on one floor/stringer job. Ive heard only good things about West, but Ive yet to hear a complaint about US either. I believe SkiBum, Buffalo and JoeinNY all used US as well.

Roger, Im looking forward to seeing that Barracuda!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:38pm
West is brutally expensive, no argument.

Tim, I like your math. I use that style on my wife all the time. Of course, she has learned to use it, as well. It is pretty much a wash.

And yeah. I did the Mustang for my wife. Doing a Sportsman with one of my best buds next winter, and then doing the SN for myself in two years.   
Anyone else. Nope.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:13pm

I believe SkiBum, Buffalo and JoeinNY all used US as well.

You can add me and Joey (akabulla) to this list.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:26pm
I used MAS on the Mustang. It was about 20% less expensive than West. Boater's World is going out of business. I just picked up a gallon of epoxy resin for $60 and a 1/2 gal of hardner for $40.

Roger, I been waiting to to see that Barracuda also!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:26pm
Timmy," Doc you should know me well enough to know that I dont cut corners"I read the words.
But to me you are shopping with your pocketbook again, the epoxy is the "MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIANT IN THIS EQUATION".You can have all the finest materials, do all the clean up and prep, spend countless hours fitting and finishing and still come out with a substandard product.
I will not scrimp on a 10% up charge for proven quality. If you have never used the better stuff how do you "KNOW".I also have to have confidence in what I install, and I am not going to compromise my work nor the warranty that comes with any job I do in my shop.
And for price I may pay the same for West that you do for Brand X. This has to do with me being given the best price from my vendors, the hazmat fees are the same that you pay.
I think Wakeslayer and I will stick with the West System, no need to fix what is not broke.............Boat dr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:33pm
I don't know Billy, sounds like splitting hairs. I went with MAS on Pete B's recommendation. Seems like good stuff to me and Tim's Ski Tique looked pretty darn solid. Hard to imagine it would fail.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:49pm
All still better than the polyester resin the factory used, whatever price you pay.

I don't know how you can't recognize US Composites is (also) proven quality.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:55pm
Yes you do pay for a name on a container! With that name you will get some degree of confidence that the product is backed up by the company and has been made to their standards. You are getting a product that doesn't come of of a 55 gal. drum from who knows where. Now I'm certainly not saying that U.S. Composites isn't good - it may even be comming from the same source! What I am saying is if I go and just buy a gal. kit of epoxy for various projects, I'll stick with the name brand. I happen to know a little background on Mas. They were the number two in the consumer market with the epoxy. The developer was frustrated with the West attitude (I've had a problem with it too!) and decided to go out on his own. I know several boat buiders/restorers who started using the Mas before I even knew the name. Never a problem and 20% cheaper.

BTW, I ran out of epoxy the other day and was over at the marine supply - I grabbed a quart kit of West!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:04pm
A good set of Clear fir stringers will run up to over $200. If one wants to go composite the sky is the limit.
For a re stringer and floor with wood and polyester resins I get $3500.00. price goes up as with using West system Epoxy and materials like Coosa.
Tim is right when he say's $1000 for materials minimum and may increase as of avialibilty of products. I have to get Fir stringers out of Tampa. I also do not like to refoam as foam tends to hold water in the long run, but if acustomer wants it then so be it the customer is alway's right.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:16pm
Timmy,Pete ..... I throw in the towel .....
I will still buy more by known brand names than by the price difference. Sorry but that is just my nature,I find no fault with the other brands. I have never used them and have no history as to their performance.
A good point for me to reference is OEM parts and Cole-Hersee swithes.The cost is greater,but I will not substitute an unknown for a known.
This is what makes this forum great, we can agree to disagree.Goodyear tires are another of my known products that receive my money............The one failure I had with them did considerable damage to my trailer and sail boat,they never batted an eye at the estimate nor to the replacement of a new port hull.......This is called customer loyalty..............Boat dr
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:41pm
Doc...out of curiosity, say you had a headache...would you buy Tylenol, or generic acetaminophen knowing that it is the EXACT same thing?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:50pm
I think the biggest difference between west and usc is customer service. I got more help from Billy than I could get from us composites. I think they are a 2-3 person company and I know their service line is thin. I don't mean their shipping and all of that...I mean tech support I guess.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:34pm
Like I said earlier, I have no previous experience with any of the systems. I decided I wanted someone local to give me advice when I walked in to West. Maybe the other stuff works as good, I just really liked how West Systems worked.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic