NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

blew apart our Inverta-Flo muffler, now w

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blew apart our Inverta-Flo muffler, now w
    Posted: April-19-2009 at 1:04pm
Now What?
Blew apart my friends Inverta-Flo muffler yesterday. We were starting the boat for the first time this year. Apparently a varmint had built a little nest back up in the exhaust as the flap was missing. When the Inverta-Flo muffler filled up with gas fumes and a spark reached it BOOM! It blew off the exhaust hose and blew off the round top piece thats glued/glassed on the muffler.
Search function doesn't seem to be working here and a Google search didn't turn up much either.
Any BTDTs?
Any one have a contact for the Inverta-Flo company?

Thanks
Britt
'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 1:19pm
Wow, that's a new failure mode!

You can just pull the guts out of it & have it re-glassed. Would be louder, though.

If you get a new one, don't throw it away, you can sell it even damaged - I would be interested.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 2:07pm
Was the varmint still up in there when it blew?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 6:59pm
Here is a pic

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 7:39pm
What boat is this off of? I took my new to me 91 barefoot out yesterday and it has a muffler like this. It dripped a lil water out the bottom but I havent taken it out to see why. I was going to remove it anyway so if anyone would like to purchase it Im game. Too quiet
Brian
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 7:48pm
Get some epoxy resin and cloth and repair it, should be a fairly easy job. Or if thats' not for you take to a boat repair guy and let him do it.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 9:24pm
Im thinkin Id rather add another 4 incher out the back with two straight pipes?
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Im thinkin Id rather add another 4 incher out the back with two straight pipes?

Brian,
We're way ahead of you!! The sites search is down otherwise I'd provide a link to Tim's (TRBeng) thread "got pipes"!! I'll try later if you can't find it. Tim did a beautiful job and it's a great compliment to his Hi-teks.

I have the acme on it now. Its hard to tell on the tach cuz its small n not real steady kinda bounces off of 6000 which is max. I havent put a gps on it cuz before I did the motor it did 53.7 on gps and if I spent all that money and didnt improve I would tie myself to the anchor!

Unless the mods you did after you got the 53.7 gave you a major improvement on speed, you may want to consider the dual exhaust. You'll need it to run with the big boys here!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 10:15pm
53.7 was the martini before I did the motor, the muffler I am refering to is on the barefoot?
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 10:34pm

53.7 was the martini before I did the motor, the muffler I am refering to is on the barefoot?

Well, since it already has duals, it should be easy to go with dual 4". There should be enough room between the primary and secondary stringers.

You better get the GPS out again and check the boat now after the engine mods! I'd hate for you to get in trouble if you do come to one of the reunions You'd be better off really knowing if you have a fast boat or not.

Brian,
Are you planning on trying to make it to one of reunions? They are really a fantastic get together with a fantastic group of people.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 11:13pm
The only one I've thought about was Sandusky but I never wanted to give up one of my weekends on the lake. Do you go there? I'm about 2.5 hrs from there. I think I have you confused and maybe me some too? The barefoot (v-drive) has the invertaflo 2 into one, single 4 inch out the rear. I'm not workin on any go fast stuff this year just trying to get this new barefoot in usable shape and goin broke. It may drive me to drink!
Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 12:01am
Are you guys Arabs?
Looks like your hijacking my thread/problem
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 12:50am
Haha I was tryin to help!
Brian
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:57am
Originally posted by brittcrowell brittcrowell wrote:

Are you guys Arabs?
Looks like your hijacking my thread/problem

Hijacking is encouraged here, especially after they arleady told you how to solve your problem, 20 dollars of glass and epoxy and that thing will be good as new.

Hotboat I dont think pete was too confused he was talking about removing the invertaflow and going to dual 4 inch exhaust like in this thread

Pete when the site search function is broken just go to google and search there, "correctcraft got pipes" will bring it up as the first hit..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 11:09am

The only one I've thought about was Sandusky but I never wanted to give up one of my weekends on the lake. Do you go there?

Brian,
If you are referring to the Cedar Point power and sail show then no. Not my interest and those shows are all over. It would be lots of driving for me to go look at glass boats!!! If I do take time out to go to a show it's always one of the ACBS chapter shows.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:24pm
LOL mine exploded twice... due to backfires... one it also exploded the exhaust hose of the port manifold... But in my case what blew on the mufler was the side top... fixed it with mat and resin and its still runing
Funny thing was we were under wasy and when it happened I had this friend that was sitting on the doghouse and the explosion scared the shi...out of him...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 3:36pm
Just got an email from Centek Industries. New invertaflo muffler $414.20 plus shipping, two week lead time for building.
Not as bad as $1200. Dad knows a boat glass guy, just let him fix it for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic