NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat lift, grab it or run?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lift, grab it or run?
    Posted: April-20-2009 at 3:23pm
I just looked at this lift and the price is right(free). The tanks are damaged from sitting on the dry lake bed and from rust. It pumps up a little higher than in the pics and settles back to that water line.

I won't be able to research prices for new floats until tonight and I have to let him know in the morning. I would also have to get a small generator or convert it to solar. Used lifts in the area seem to be around $3000, but I haven't been to look at what I would get for that price. Thoughts?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 3:35pm
Are they damaged beyond repair? There is a houseboat repair place down on my end, maybe they can patch the toons! If not, scrap prices are good right now.
Greg

86 BFN
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 3:58pm
Looks like a great deal.   Is the pump AC or DC?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 4:28pm
Its free....why not get it?!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 5:19pm
I'd grab it, the price is right! the toon's look like aluminum. If it doesn't work out for ya,
you'll be smiling when you leave the scrap yard.
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 5:33pm
If it's Free then It's for Me!

Can't go wrong with it Greg especially if you can fix them up!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If it's Free then It's for Me!

Can't go wrong with it Greg especially if you can fix them up!

Maybe I shouldn't have said free yet?!!?   LOL

The tanks are steel and were painted after they rusted last time(pitting). The pump is AC but it's only 2 blowers...no biggie.

I was just wondering if it will be more expensive to re-float than it's worth(or another used one). The frame and linkage do look pretty good.

I'll have time this evening to price new floats. The current floats are bolted on so that's a plus.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 7:43pm
With the prices I'm getting for new floats I may be running.
1988 BFN-sold

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 11:06pm
Bummer...but if it is in fact free then grab it for parts!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 1:39am
We've all seen your handi-work....can't believe you are even thinking about it. Your BFN will look great sitting on it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 2:59pm
I always say if it's free it's coming home with me
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Power wire brushing (sand blasting is better) some epoxy resin with a layer of cloth and they will work. I did a old steel toon back at Watercraft in about 1970 and it's still going!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 12:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Power wire brushing (sand blasting is better) some epoxy resin with a layer of cloth and they will work. I did a old steel toon back at Watercraft in about 1970 and it's still going!!

Pete,

I'm assuming you're suggesting to identify the leaks and patch them. I can't imagine that you mean expoxy resin and cloth for the entire floats. That would not seem cost effective.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 9:26am
I bailed on this one. I found out that it will cost more to fix than a much newer all aluminum lift(still used). That one above is an old galva-lift and hasn't been sold around here in many years.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 9:50am
I thought for a minute you were trading up to a pontoon
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 9:52am
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete,

I'm assuming you're suggesting to identify the leaks and patch them. I can't imagine that you mean expoxy resin and cloth for the entire floats. That would not seem cost effective.

John,
The whole bottom just past the waterline gets cloth and resin. The cost of the resin may be more but the glass is cheap. Man hours are actually less because your not chasing down each small pin hole. Plus you want the whole bottom glassed as you have pin holes all over and may not see some ready to pop through.

It's just a cheap and dirty cover up for steel toons when replacement cost is high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic