NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rebuilt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 4:26pm
some pics of the exhaust manifolds after painted..

still waiting for the parts to come...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 10:09pm
Kapla did your head gaskets come with any intruction on installation?

I got 2 gaskets that look exactly the same, but one blocks the water passages on front of the block and the other the ones on the back of it.

They say "front" on each face and side so it's a bit confusing.
WIch water passages should be covered? the ones on the front or those on the back?

By the way, you manifolds ended up looking really well, the Krylon Hi heat I used for mine does not have that gloss.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 11:34pm
u mean the riser gaskets? between the riser and the elbow? if so the block passage is the one in the back..
its something to do with the flow..

about the paint: it has a nice glow..it will hold up good in the upper parts but in the bottom it will cook soon after the engine starts up...

those manifolds you're talking about are for your work boat right?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 12:09am
Kapla I painted to log style square ones on my Nautique, the engine for the 660 has some casted torpedoe shaped Commander manifolds very much like the Edelbroks or H.M. posted on this site.

As for the water passages I mean the ones on the block and cylinder head
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 12:18am
ok wouldn't know the head gasket possitioning so i'll wait someone gives you the answer so I note it for my assembly
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 7:01pm
update: good news my parts will be delivered next thursday 7-16...bad news I fly to london that exact day..so i won´t be able to take pics of my smilling with all the parts...at least it will all be ready for assy when I get back on 8-17...
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 7:32pm
Kapla,

Been following your posts. That's good to hear. Won't be long and you'll be foot'n behind the your own boat!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 7:48pm
thanks 206...hopefully I will have my boat ready for spring when the Tº starts raising down here!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 6:09pm
Question: I will continue using the protec ignition till it dies.. hope it doesn´t when the boat is ready for the maiden trip
Does it have some kind of rev limiter. As the new engine set up will rev higher( hope), will I have problems? As I recall the module can´t be adjusted....
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:50pm
I am curious about the rev limiter as well. I had a stronger holeshot at Green Lake but only 50 more RPMS at the top end. It wouldn't go past 5,000. I expected a bigger difference being 3000 feet lower in elevation.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 8:26pm
what engine do you have the HO pro boss?
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 2:00pm
Yes, I have the HO Pro Boss, either 285 or 300HP depending on who's numbers you believe.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 5:51pm
yeap... and what mph do you get ouRegarding rev it should top 5-5.2 regarding type of prop...
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 6:03pm
At home (4,000 ft elevation) I get 44mph at 4,950 RPM. At Green Lake (1,000 ft) I got 45 mph at 5,000 RPM. By my calculations I lose about 35 HP at home due to the elevation.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 8:53pm
do you think that 35hp translates into 50rpms and a mph over???

jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 3:17am
I was hoping that 35hp did more than 50rpms and 1mph. I know the holeshot seemed much stronger, it just didn't change much on the top end.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 11:49pm
well i retuned this week to ba so no much to tell about the engine only what i spoke with my friend when I called once from paris. All parts came perfect... block was sent to the machine shop to clean, bath, rebore to .30 etc....but unforunately or not..while going on one of the last cylinder the water gallery wall broke into it....so he decided to put cylinder jackets to all the cylinders (here it usual to do that its called "encamisar" like putting a shirt)and bore them to the size of my pistons...If i had gone in the first time with the jacket I might had ordered std pistons I guess..but well who knows..jackets are double work...but at least now i'm confident it will resist long..imagine if the gallrey collapsed after some use and then engine needs to be reopened etc....wednesday i will have some more info on the engine....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:25pm
Tim

now that you menction the thing with the pushrods in the other post (didn´t want to hijack it)...when ordering parts it was my concern, not to forget anything that would interrupt the asy. Imagine having the engine complete and not able to finish it cause some part is missing... The pushrods in this case would not be expensive, but though the ones I had were good to reuse...So in case I reuse what is my concern..not pushing enough to open the new valves, or being to long and then opening the valves to much thus causing valve to piston clearance problems?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:28pm
btw I went to the shop to see the parts, some were out in the machine shop others (pistons, crank, fly were being balanced) heads were there, they look good!! the camshaft came with a t-shirt as a gift!!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:31pm
Kapla, I'd put new pushrods with the rebuild, they are not costly and would be the only thing 2000 hours old inside of your engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:37pm
Inspect the pushrods- if they look OK then Id reuse them (I did on my '90). If you decide that theyre worn, then bolt the engine together and order the exact length you need. You may or may not have to shim your rockers with the stock pushrods to set the proper lifter preload.

I think youre confusing what I said about valvesprings with the pushrods. Stock GT40p valvesprings are only good up to around .500 of lift... so I replaced them when I added my cam (.490/.490) since I was darn close to that. The Tristate upgraded valvesprings wont have that problem- they should be good to .550 or so.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:37pm
I know but why change them if they are good...I would change them if they have opening related problems.... is are the pushrods prone the break or go bad? or is a piece that doesn´t suffer much?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:51pm
ahaha thanks tim!! ufff guess that are ok then as my heads are from tristate. Old pushrods look ok, with no visible damage, or tip wear...
For a moment I freaked out!!!lol
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:52pm
Pushrods are not likely to break although the ends can wear through so if they are showing serious wear then better safe than sorry perhaps. What are your cam manufacturer and machine shop saying about cam break in. Are they talking about removing the inner springs during the cam break in? I have had some issues in the past wiping out cam lobes with those tristate heads, second time I did it I removed the inner springs but haven't really put enough hours on that engine since to know if any real difference was made.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 7:55pm
Since you're really investing on the engine, I'd search for the optimal pushrod lenght so you get all the juice from the upgrades.

If it comes out yours are good and have the correct lenght leave them.
But I wouldnt be reusing them if they are pitted and held performance.

You usually check them for pitting and straightness.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 8:00pm

Joe by inner spring what do you mean? sorry I´m not an expert!!!
cam is from cam research and I had it ordered with the breakin service ($60 extra).. so then should I still concern?
About the machine shop I´ll ask my buddy once I clear the inner spring doubt!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 8:03pm
old ones not pitted at all.. will check them for straightness...
wich would be the optimal lenght them so I can chack against the ones I have?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

wich would be the optimal lenght them so I can chack against the ones I have?

Whatever length gives you the proper preload (.020-.040) on the most valves. It will depend on your how much your heads were milled, etc. The only way to know for sure is to assemble the engine and measure.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 8:14pm
ok then..i´ll report back when all is put toghether
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 3:21pm
well just picked up the engine out of the machine shop...looks good, now so start putting it alltogether.
Now a doubt the distribution gear that attaches to the camshaft has to be putted in the 0 mark or it need some advance?
I have some pictures so I´ll post them later.
Another doubt is painting the engine, silver is my idea but should I leave the new intake in natural alluminum ar better paint it? And what kind of paint is better to use, some regular high heat and spray it with a paint gun? or the VHT engine paint from a spray can is better?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic