NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rebuilt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 6:45pm
Eric...good for this site!! i found some pics on the damper plate installation!! It was on mi-nick post, about his damper plate change!!
Now I can figure it out in my mind!! lol
Thanks for the patience!!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 12:38am
Kapla just for curiosity, how much for the cylinder jackets?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 10:01am
Pete, I wish....they take a good half hour to get to temp with no load on them...no cooler just a loop, anymore its alot easier to throw them up in my lathe and spin them
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 4:11pm
Lucho Sleeved costed $200 each so the 8 cylinders went for $1600...but I ended up paying 2700 for all the machining work....pesos
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 5:04pm
You guys must be using different terminology because those cylinders are just bored and honed right? $200 a hole...eyecarumba!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 5:17pm
Alan..I had to put cylinder sleeves to my block (normal to do it here, as no block of these type available) because when doing the .30 overbore one of the cylinders walls cracked, it seems the water had internally corroder the galleys making the cylinder wall very thin..
the cost is in argentine pesos for each cylinder sleeve...at $3.85 a dollar its around $50 dollars each...If I had know I was going to sleeve the block I should have ordered the std pistons...
I´m a little worried though for the sleeves but it was the only thing I could do..If not I needed a new engine directly!!

For you its easy as you can find 351w blocks in any yunkyard...the only v-8 I can find here are the ford Y Block 292 ci or the 318 chrislers...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 7:07pm
I was just looking at the pictures of the block and I couldn't tell it was sleeved. I'm not too familiar with sleeving a cast iron block. Are they just pressed in?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 7:26pm
yes.. they are pressed inn. From the top you can´t tell its sleeved as after they sleeved it they do the resurface so the joint its almost invisible..you can see the sleeve from the bottom of the block.. here is a pic from the bottom..you can see the difference of colour of the cast iron and the sleeve..

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 7:59pm
i thought those pictures looked familiar...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 3:38pm
OOPs..while having a look on the parts..I noticed a small leak in the tranny comming from the port side lower bolt ear...before it never leaked a drop...I was hoping that when putting the tranny again the same bolt will put enough pressure on the gasket again to close the leak...
here is a pic showing the place the leak is...
in the worst scenario is changing that gasket easy? or how far the tear down needs to go?

BTW the leak is inside the bolt ear..the fluid line come out from there...all the exterior of the gasket has no leaks at all...
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 7:06pm
I guess you can buy a nut and tight the bolt.. just a thought
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 8:23pm
Seb It may fix it when the bolt is used to hold it to the bellhousing bolt it up to it and see if it leaks,before you put it all back in the boat.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 11:02pm
they'll leak because you dont have it bolted to the bellhousing, once bolted it should cure the leak
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 3:07pm
Ok then I hope it does!!! actually i noticed the leak this week..before it sat in the shop and i never saw a drop....
Roger thats what I will do..
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 4:22pm
some pics of the engine as for today..
only few things are left to finish it...looks nice...

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 4:53pm
Looking good there sebastian..
You want to just ship that to New Hill, NC for me.
I will cover the shipping cost..
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:09pm
Those engine photos look like they were meant for marketing brochures!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:15pm
yeah right!! specially the stand (51 gal drum) were the engine sits on..LOL

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:15pm
Seb looks great and loving the South American engine stand
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

yeah right!! specially the stand (51 gal drum) were the engine sits on..LOL

How many liters is that? Does the wall need to be held up?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:52pm
200 liters... you mean the drum wall? its very strong by itlself...
The engine is just there in the corner of the shop, as there some cars laying around...its not touching the wall at all...
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 8:56pm
Wao Seb! That engine looks nice. You have come long ways rebuilding and upgrading a V8 in SA. What's the plan for break-in?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 9:04pm
same question I was going to do in a couple of days when all ready..
I read some braek in info on the owner manual..but wanted to make sure its ok..
I don´t know if to do it in the driveway or directly on the water...
cam came from Cam Research already breaked in...but ring and other stuff need to seat correctly...
also I wonder about the heads needing to be retorqued after some usage? is that correct..pita as to do so you need to remove the manifolds as the valve cover center bolts are unreachable with them on...
seb..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 11:09pm
Looking great Seb!! Now if it runs like it looks - but I'm sure it will!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2009 at 5:42pm
thanks pete..I hope it does!! theres always contingency..hope not in this case....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2009 at 7:37pm
as John and the Brunstuckians would say: its perty
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2009 at 8:13pm
Looking it again I will need to give some new colour to the alternator..to match up with the new powder coat I gave to the pulleys...also the pump need some life..LOL...
About the RWP..they came original with some special finish? or just the natural colour of the alloy of the body and the galvanised of the pulley?
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 1:05am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Looking it again I will need to give some new colour to the alternator..to match up with the new powder coat I gave to the pulleys...also the pump need some life..LOL...
About the RWP..they came original with some special finish? or just the natural colour of the alloy of the body and the galvanised of the pulley?

Was going to say the same thing about the altenator.

Engine looks great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic