NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to hook up vacuum gage?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to hook up vacuum gage?
    Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:27pm
Sorry to ask a question I am sure has been answered before, but the search function is down.

Is it OK just to unplug the PCV line & use that as a vacuum port to set the carb idle mixture screws? I have a 4160 carb. I see a plug in the intake at the rear, but prefer to leave that alone if the PVC hose does the same thing.

I was wondering if taking the PCV out of the system would effect the result when measuring vacuum.

Thanks

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:49pm
I usuall will find a spot on the runners and use my own fittings, I think you will get the same results at the PVC also
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:50pm
pcv
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 2:46pm
Thanks. I tried to set idle screws, but didn't get any response from them. I think maybe the choke isn't opening up all the way. Will check that out next!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2009 at 7:55pm
When I hooked up my vacuum guage, I used the plug at the rear of the manifold, and put a threaded nipple in to hook my line and guage in to.
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 5:48pm
So where do you do this? PCV line or on back center of intake?
Jay
Current 2000 Air Nautique

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 9:02pm
Jay....I like hooking right into the manifold. I think you will get a more accurate reading of what the engine is doing. See a couple of pictures of my set up. Notice that the inlet of the PCV port under the spacer is not tied in directly to the intake.

85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 9:30pm
Thanks David. I will try it and see
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 9:30pm
I agree with David and hook up directly to the manifold, note the red cap on the vacuum port. Those are just brass fittings from the hardware store.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 10:16am
to add, the vacuum gauge is probably the best tool i own
its easy,and will lead you in the right direction, if you put the vacuum gauge in and it reads 15 inches you know there is a Mechanical problem and changing the plugs, wires, points is not going to help, if low i pull out the compression tester and try to pinpoint where the problem may be, i used one yesterday on an overheating problem, impeller was intact and i know this engine pretty good and told my guy to put a vacuum gauge on it, it read low, then i told him to do a comp test, and i told him number 2 and 3 are low..he said how did know? its like your kids.... you keep track of these things.
if i would of let him, he would be searching all day for the problem.
a vacuum gauge should be in every tool box if you work on this stuff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 11:35am
I was wondering the same thing. My vac gauge hose is too small to hook up to the PCV or Intake. Think I'll drop by the hardware store and find a brass fitting.

Is this the spot I would hook up to on mine?

Thanks!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 12:23pm
David....Thats the spot. Look on mine up above. Its the port about six inches or so away from the rear of the carb. I don't recall noticing the little holes in mine though. Not sure that makes any difference.

I just bought a brass nipple at the hardware store. I also had to get two different sized hoses. One to fit the vacuum gauge, and one to fit the brass nipple. You can buy little plastic "step-down" connectors to connect the two hoses together.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if you put the vacuum gauge in and it reads 15 inches you know there is a Mechanical problem and changing the plugs, wires, points is not going to help,   

Eric....I agree with all your comments about a vacuum gauge. Question: What do you consider to be a healthy vacuum reading, and at what RPM?

My truck with a 390 typically reads around 18 inches. But, I sometimes wonder if the rpm range is a bit high causing the reading to be a bit high. I had the boat motor tuned the other day to get 15 inches. That was better than last year before the rebuild when I was getting 12-13 inches. I still wasn't totally happy with that though.

I pulled my intake manifold back off to check for water leaks, and reseal it. I am putting it back on a little different this time...ie...better sealing on end gaskets, copper silicone around the water passages, etc.

Just wanted your thoughts on a healthy vacuum reading range.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:19pm
Thanks.
That's what I figured. Also not sure what's up with the two holes but I'm sure it will be fine.

I stopped by ACE on the way to work and got a brass fitting that works.

Anybody have a resource on vacuum testing procedures? What the readings tell you etc.?

I found some stuff on the web but I'm sure the folks here are much more knowledgeable.
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:38pm
I tested last night in the driveway. I got a pretty steady reading of 16. Everything sounded great and the carb responded good. Did not make it to the lake for a load test but will do tonight. How would you condider the reading of 16 at 750 rpm?
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 1:50pm
David.....Just hook that pup up and turn the motor on (at least thats what I do). In fact, I have my gauge hooked up permanently in my truck. I think its the best way to tell what your engine is actually doing.

You can start to adjust your idle mixture screws, timing, etc, to see what it does to the readings. I like to have the idle set around 650-750 rpm or so to get a solid reading. If you rev the motor up, the readings will go up.

I am interested in seeing what types of readings Eric likes to see, and what rpm range. He knows A LOT more than the internet!! In fact, I think he invented the internet. No wait, that was Al Gore.
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 2:01pm
Alan,

I see that in your pic you just have a cap on the brass fitting. Can you run like that? Do you leave that fitting in there all the time?

Davidg,

Do you leave your fitting in or do you plan to?

Thanks
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 2:58pm
Check this link out guys. A good overview on vacuum readings.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by 85jws 85jws wrote:

I tested last night in the driveway. I got a pretty steady reading of 16. Everything sounded great and the carb responded good. Did not make it to the lake for a load test but will do tonight. How would you condider the reading of 16 at 750 rpm?

Jay....I don't think 16" is a bad reading. I would be happy with that. Has your engine ever been rebuilt? What kind of top speed do you get on your boat?

Last year, I was getting readings of 12 or 13, and then engine seemed to run good. I was just not as fast as I would like to have seen it. It also leaked oil from the rear main seal. so, I did a budget rebuild...ie...new bearings, rings, cam, gaskets, etc. I have it up to around 15" in the driveway. Once I get the intake remmounted, I am hoping for better.   

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:38pm

Alan,

I see that in your pic you just have a cap on the brass fitting. Can you run like that? Do you leave that fitting in there all the time?

Thats just an automotive vacuum plug from any parts store, it runs like that and the fitting stays in permanently
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:46pm
David,

Yes it has been rebuilt about 400 hrs ago. Top speed is in the 44 range. I couldnt get your link to work but try this one.

www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm

So if I go by this, I am in the steady low range. It says my timing needs to be advanced. I am running 10 BTDC.
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 4:19pm
i like to see 18 or so on bone stock low hour engines, alot of things will change vacuum, a hot cam will, a stretched chain, leaky valves all mechanical things...i just use it as a guide to send me in the right direction, if low i will then do a comp test...consider them like a blood pressure test and checking your pulse
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 5:03pm

David,

Yes it has been rebuilt about 400 hrs ago. Top speed is in the 44 range. I couldnt get your link to work but try this one.

www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm

So if I go by this, I am in the steady low range. It says my timing needs to be advanced. I am running 10 BTDC.

I like to set my timing around 12 degrees BTC. Just seems to run a little smoother at that setting.

Also, not sure why my link won't work. I thought all I had to do was to click on the blue globe on the left hand side of the control buttons in each box, and paste it in. Doesn't seem to work with this one. I must be doing something wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic