Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

freeze plugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: freeze plugs
    Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:45pm
Got the old gal (90 Sport) out today, cleaned and fired her up. 5/6 freeze plugs are out! I called myself winterizing it, apparently not good enough. Usually not that big of a problem down here in Bama.

Anyway, I guess step 1 is to replace them, picked up some of the expandable ones (so I can drain better next winter) and those will work in the back... but not going to be able to get those in the holes behind the engine mounts. Anyone replace those? Just wondering if I'm going to be able to tap them in without getting the mounts out of the way.

Then step 2 is going to be making sure there's no further damage. I won't sleep well until I find that out! One positive sign is that it ran for a few minutes before I noticed what was going on, and the oil still looks great. I have heard that sometimes problems show up after the engine has heated and cooled a few times. So I may not sleep well for a week or so. :)

I guess it's going to be a non-issue with the removable plugs in... just wondering what I missed on the winterizing. I took a pretty good look after I saw what had happened and didn't see any petcock valves or anything. Still like to find out if anyone knows.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 10:01am
Tape,
Did you do the winterizing by using the suck RV antifreeze out of bucket method without draining the block? If so, it's a bad method! Don't know how it ever got started - some one not understanding the process!!! Removing the "freeze" plugs will not drain the engine that much better than using the block drain plugs.

You will probably need to remove the engine mount. Don't forget to do a alignment after your done.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 5:05pm
Didn't use the bucket method, apparently used the bonehead method. I stopped by one day and drained the tranny, removed impeller, belts, etc.. but forgot my 1/2" ratchet for the water manifolds. So went by later to do that and somehow just forgot to drain the block.

Woke up around 3am last night realizing that no water in the oil probably didn't mean much since there was very little pressure with the freeze plugs out. :(

Couldn't concentrate at work so took a long lunch, grabbed some freeze plugs, and went by to tinker. I *think* I can work them in without removing the mounts. Won't be able to get a good, straight-in tap on them but hopefully can press them in by leveraging on the mount.

Questions -
The auto parts store only had steel plugs, and one type was thinner and one was thicker. I'm thinking the thicker one will be more forgiving with the prying method I'm looking to use - should I be concerned about it going in further and obstructing flow? I thought there was a 'seat' that the plugs bottomed out on?

All of the brass plugs were laying there apparently unharmed, would I be better off just reusing them?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 5:25pm
don't use the steel ones wait and get the right parts, also there is no stop you drive then in until they are flush with the surface and stop.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 7:50pm
For what it's worth:   While I completely agree that not draining the block first is a really bad idea, I did do it that way in the heart of the tundra in Minnesota for about 10 years. And we get stupid cold every winter, -30 or worse.
I never used RV antifreeze when I did it that way, just automotive, undiluted. I never had a problem, and feel fortunate.
Always drain the block and heater core if applicable.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 9:56am
are there -plugs- in the back of fords underneath the flywheel? i really would get down there with a flashlight and take a good close look at the sides of the block
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 9:58am
you may be lucky, i didnt realize you were from Ala. it doesnt deep below freezing to often?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 10:58am
I'd say if you didn't drain the block and if they popped and the block isn't damaged than they rightly can be called freeze plugs.

I had one pop one year and I've never understood why. I always drain the block and pickle with antifreeze. First run of the season I noticed the bilge pump come on and checked under the motor box and saw water coming out of the side of the engine. It was missing a freeze plug. Never found it. No idea where it went.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

No idea where it went.

It might be inside the block?

Boats also seem to have a way of making things disappear...especially if it was the only one of something you had!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

For what it's worth:   While I completely agree that not draining the block first is a really bad idea, I did do it that way in the heart of the tundra in Minnesota for about 10 years. And we get stupid cold every winter, -30 or worse.
I never used RV antifreeze when I did it that way, just automotive, undiluted. I never had a problem, and feel fortunate.
Always drain the block and heater core if applicable.

Mike,
The key here is you used the regular which is meant to be diluted whereas Rv isn't. You still lucked out because without recirculation many times through the engine there isn't anyway to tell what the dilution is.

There was a thread I believe over on PN regarding someones idea of how to correctly winterize a boat. It involved using a kids wading pool at the aft end to collect what came out the exhaust and then extra hosing to get it back up to the raw water line. What a mess!! All he had to do was read the owners manual and find that a drain and pour in the top end was all that was needed. The tread didn't state what he did with the extra RV antifreeze. Yes he used RV which as stated isn't meant to be diluted. I wonder if he made a attempt to check the freeze point?? BTW, unlike regular antifreeze that can be checked with a hydrometer, RV needs to be checked with a refractometer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 12:31pm
Yikes! Anyone know if there are freeze plugs behind the flywheel?! (Eric's question)

Also, on the alignment afterwards if the mounts are removed - attaching a pic of a similar mount... just wondering if the 'adjuster' (piece 5 in the diagram) isn't moved wouldn't the alignment be okay? I'm intimidated by the alignment task - read many threads about it and a couple of procedures that were linked... sounds hairy.

Oh, and Eric - it dips below freezing some but rarely stays below during the day.   Most times not long enough for a hard freeze... but usually at least one / winter. Just enough to have to winterize everything. :)   I'm in the northern part.. central and most certainly south Alabama probably don't have to bother.

Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 10:31am
Bruce, your throwing us off again with that comment   lol,
people will tend to think thats what they are for, thier purpose in life is to plug holes when they are done with the machining process, they are drain holes for casting sand. because they pop out when the block freezes doesnt mean a think except you got lucky and the block didnt crack, they have nothing to do with freezing
I always was thought they were for freezing, but they are not, its a one of those quirks I have
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 10:51am
Tapenick - The alignment is not hard, just tedious. This is something that should be done once a year, at least checked. If you still feel like you need help, come to one of the reunions & someone can coach you on it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 11:02am
   I know you are correct Eric. Funny thing though... I ran an autoparts store back in the day and never found them listed in a catalogue under anything other than "freeze plug". I wonder what these parts store idiots we have now would say if you walked in and tried to buy some cast plugs hahahaha.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 11:56am
Thanks for the reassurance on the alignment, guess I'll print one of the procedures and take a look while at the boat. This afternoon is looking like D-Day.

Had heard that about freeze plugs just being there as a side-effect of the casting process, just didn't know what else to call them. 'Those plugs in the side of the block that they use for casting' just doesn't roll off my tongue. :) Cast plugs, kind of like that though.

Anyone have input on the plugs behind the flywheel? I figured as many as Eric has been in he knows and is just being modest. But I hope not! :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 12:10pm
Nope, looked at the back side and the only expansion plug is for the cam,
I know Chevy's have them
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2009 at 1:22pm

Update - my original 'D-Day' got canceled, as did the next, and the next. Carved out a Saturday but couldn't get my hands on a cherry picker. So took it to the local CC dealer thinking I was never going to get to it. Well, I neglected to ask when *they* were going to get to it, and when I called to check on it after a couple of days they informed me it was going to be a couple of weeks! So, I picked it up yesterday morning and did the job myself.

An outline / few tips for any first-timers doing this... this'll be old news to you experts and some of it just plain common sense but throwing it out here:

Note - I did one side at a time.
1. Remove the bolts securing the mount to the block
2. Lift slowly with hoist until there is tension.
3. Remove bolts securing the mount to the boat
4. There were two aluminum shims under the mount on mine, lift slowly with hoist, just enough so you can slide those out. This was spooky to me, didn't want to stress the other mounts. Anyone - should I have removed the bolts from *all* mounts before lifting? I only lifted a fraction of an inch.. just enough to slide those shims out. Do most CCs have the shims under the mounts? That made the job *much* easier.
5. Once the shims are out you can slide the mounts out of the way. On the right (driver's) side there was enough room. On the left I ended up removing the dipstick and oil filter so I could slide the mount further forward.
6. Haynes manual impression - "Install plugs and reassemble in reverse order" :)

I don't know if this was the right way or best way but it worked. No leaks so far. Also, no water in the oil so far but the jury is still out. Heard sometimes the cracks won't show until the engine is heated up / cooled down several times.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic