NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder
    Posted: April-27-2009 at 12:21am
Another of the long list of kinks that need to be worked out is my rudder. Due to the trailer's lack of a rudder guard, it's slightly curved, convexly with respect to the left side. When I took her out a couple weeks ago, I noticed that turning right was difficult, but turning left was an absolute pain in the ass. It's obviously not the most hydrodynamic shape.
The cable seems to be fine... I can grab the rudder, and easily move the steering wheel.

Can this be reshaped?

Here's an older picture (the weather's too bad to get a better one right now).

316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 1:48pm
Nevermind...I just got a stock rudder off an 86 Supreme on ebay.
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 12:43am
Finally got my new rudder. I've scoured the forum looking for a definitive answer, on whether or not the gas tank needs to come out to drop and swap rudders. I can't seem to find any pictures anywhere showing this.

Help?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 1:42am
some rudders have some shaving on one of their front sides to compensate for propeller turn.

I'd check if your new old ore new rudder have some.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 1:46am
If you can reach the tiller arm bolt, and get to the packing nut, you shouldn't need to remove it. Put a block under your rudder so it doesn't make a big clang on the floor.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 12:36pm
your not going to hurt that bent rudder dropping it on the floor.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 4:24pm
Ha, true.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 5:02pm
but do use a block of wood or something to hold it up when you install the new rudder.

But there is enough room to remove it on a CC not sure if you gas tank is in the way or not, but if you can get to the bolt on top of the rudder, and then the bolt for the clamp feature of the tiller arm off to the side, they should be wire tied togeter, then it should drop right out the bottom without any issue, remove those two bolts pop off the tiller arm then loosen the packing gland nut and it will drop down and out of the housing.

Stick the new in, prop it up untill it doesn't go any further up into the hull, climb in the boat, install new packing flax and install packing gland, tighten down by hand install tiller arm and two bolts. HAve someone else push the rudder up as far as it will go and tighten down the gland and wire tie the bolts of the tiller arm and then pop up a cold one and enjoy.

don't cover up the area untill you've dunked it into the water and re-adjusted the packing gland, give it a minute to soak up some water and move it side to side lock to lock then tighten down the gland and lock in place with the jam nut go for a spin recheck, if all is good install the seat and enjoy another coldie.
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 7:24pm
The new one supposedly came stock on an '86 Supreme... it's nearly three times as thick as the one that's from my '83. It's a girthy beast!

Luch, I thought they were just beveled differently depending on rotation. But again, I concede that I know little about these things. All I know is that it did not want to turn left.
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 7:31pm
And Chris, that definitely sounds like a plan. Thanks for the breakdown. Next tuesday is my last final, and I will be immedeiately diving back in and finishing up all the jobs I've started.

I need to start using a real digital camera ... these phone pics can be pretty weak.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 8:58pm
Ya might want to get your prop tuned up when you get a chance!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 9:11am
Ryan, I know from experience that you can get your rudder straightened. I bent mine after launching the boat ON the ramp once. Called the guys at Delta Prop and asked them if they could straighten it. They said they could if it wasn't bent real bad. Sent it to thenm and got it back in about a week or two STRAIGHT as a board. Give em' a buzz and they'll hook you up.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2009 at 11:13pm
Finals are over, schools out... for a couple of weeks anyway. Resuming work on the boat.

Steve- I know the prop isn't in the best of shape, but its on a long list of to-dos.

Tim- thanks for the info. Do you know about how much it cost you? I got my replacement for less than $60... Just wondering if its even worth it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2009 at 2:20pm
I would say the damage might be from towing since theres no prop guard, might want to add that to your list of to-do's
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 3:49am
hey brainos
Any decent post about about correct rudder removal (with pics?) looked above and saved this topic, but would love to see pics as i have to install the ACME 542 now!
thank you
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 10:40am
Originally posted by saffer saffer wrote:

hey brainos
Any decent post about about correct rudder removal (with pics?) looked above and saved this topic, but would love to see pics as i have to install the ACME 542 now!
thank you

Are you repairing/replacing the rudder? Because if it's just a prop change you don't need to remove the rudder for that.
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 6:18pm
yep, just prop replacement, seems pretty cramped.
My 88 2001

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:16pm
It's cramped but the prop will come off without removing the rudder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 4:52am
awesome,thank you
again.....
My 88 2001

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic