Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Issue-- Advice Please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rsjr70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsjr70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Issue-- Advice Please
    Posted: May-08-2009 at 12:36am
Puchased 91 Nautique with 250 hours on it last year. Add 50 hours last summer and I continued to have the same problem with cold starting that original owner has had for several years. When motor is cold it will not start without a squirt of starting fluid. One small squirt and it fires right up. I thought it might be the electronic choke so I replaced it this spring and tried several adjustments but still have same problem. Motor still has original protech ignition system. I have carb rebuild kit but did not want to dive into that if not the problem. Can anyone shed any light on this issue.

Thanks for the help
Bob
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 12:38pm
well what is your normal routen? jump in and turn the key?

If the boat has not been started for the day or has been sitting for several hours then it's always a good idea to give it a shot of gas using the throttle before you try starting. Slow open the throttle no need to just thro it down fast but open it about 3/4 to full throttle bring it back to neutral then hit the key, It's like the older cars where you had to set the choke before they would start, granted these don't have a fast idle cam on the choke like cars did but they still need a little juice to get going sometimes.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 5:20pm
strange...
I always give a few pumps to the gas before cranking....
On my 1973 chevy the same hit the pedal a few times the cranks and fires right up...
Is it always on cold start? once the engine is warm on if you are out on the lake and let it sit for a while will it do the same?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic