NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Finish for a Picnic Table

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Finish for a Picnic Table
    Posted: May-13-2009 at 3:42pm
I am about to buy a new picnic table and starting to research the best finish/material options...i know there are some wood working experts on here so I was hoping for some opinions. The table will be out on our deck in the sun and elements all year long as we have no place to store indoors for the winter (maybe cover it with a tarp).
I think the best finish would be determined by the wood type. If the wood is pressure treated, I think it's best to let it dry a bit and then apply a quality deck stain.
If it's untreated, maybe treat with CPES and then some type of varnish. Let me know what you think.
thanks.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 4:44pm
I want to answer with "your girlfriend" being the punch line but I can go so many different ways with it my head is starting to hurt.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone attempt to seal a wood picnic table.
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:51pm
I "finished" a picnic table w/ a girlfriend once. Now that was a fun "woodworking" project!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 11:28pm
but did you get pictures....
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:31am
really, this is a serious question...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 2:34am
I don't know if it is good or not. I used good old fashioned spar varnish on the redweed table I built a few weeks ago. I put on about 5 coats and it looks great. We'll see how it stands up to the 100 degree summers. BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 10:16am
I pressure watched a bunch of driftwood and then sprayed it with engine foaming oil, I have to say it looks nice
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 11:42am
Nick,
Any clear finish will be high maintenance (just like some girls!!!). If it is just teated wood then it's not worth going to the trouble of using a clear. If you do, then Brian's idea of using a marine spar is the best.

I'd used a solid color or if you want to see some wood grain a semi tranparent oil based deck stain. My pier up north is white cedar and the builder has been using Cabot deck stains for years. I refinished it 4 years ago with the same Cabot and it still looks great. It really takes the foot traffic.

Ether way, if it is treated (unless it's #1 kiln dried AFTER theatment) then do let it dry out for several weeks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 11:57am
basically Pete, engine foaming oil, lol
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 2:31pm
pete,
is it OK to put the spar varnish on treated wood?? i thought the adhesion was not good due to the chemicals in the treatment??

how's this for high maintainance...she want's the seats to be "smooth" so she doesn't get snags in her bikin bottoms...have fun with that one guys...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 3:31pm
If you want furniture, you don't want treated wood. Pressure treated is usually new growth pine these days, and you don't want to try to sand that to bikini fineness. Where is it coming from; do you have pics of what you want in mind?

I might consider a deck water sealer if you like the natural look or an oil stain if you want it darker.

The bikini thing...sand to at least 400 grit and use a danish oil finish. That will have to be re-applied 2-3 times a year...or a towel works.

You could also pee on it...seriously, it works.     LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 5:44pm
she has one picked out and I don't know what type of wood it's made out of.
since it will be kept outdoors all the time I was thinking treated wood + quality deck stain is the best.
i'll know more this weekend when we go check it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 6:03pm
Nick,
If treated and dry then a spar varnish or even a exterior poly (has UV filtering in it) will work but the woods just not worth going that route. Stick with a semi transparent deck stain/finish. If she's picked out some nice cedar or redwood then we can talk some more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 7:29pm
pete, thats exactly what i'm thinking...thanks.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 2:44pm
It came pre-finished and bikini approved. Spar varnish on the top and bench, stain on the cedar undercarrige...i like.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:16am
Yeah....nice table but we are really looking to see how the bikini is holding up to the finish on the seats. And no fair just tossing it on the bench...the only true test is a filled bikini.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 9:35am
john, here is a memorial day shot to hold you over...norhtern michigan.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 11:35am
Nick,
The table she picked out looks great. You lucked out with not having to finish it!! In a couple of years it will need maintenance with a couple more coats. Don't let it get bad enough that it needs to go to bare wood. Any sign of the wood being exposed is the indicator for varnish.

Now we need the defrib for J Bear again. With all the pictures of the attractive women/girls lately, the EMS crew down by John must be keeping busy!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:50pm
pete,
the table is made by moon valley here in clarkston, MI. it's really solid and well made. they make a 6', 7', and 8' (we got the 8'). they recommend a light sanding and coat of varnish each year. i plan to follow that procedure.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 1:39am
Yikes...I take back all I've said about Michigan guys.

Thanks Pete.....we got the 911 guys right down the street. BTW....did you get the message about calling me?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

BTW....did you get the message about calling me?

john

Sorry John but I missed it. Did you post, email or did you call me and leave a message?

You can email me direct with your phone #.
pbrainard@wistool.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 1:15am
Pete:

You got mail.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 12:40pm
My picnic table at the cottage looks great. What I use is a mixture of kielbasa oil, cheese extract, potato salad and a healthy spattering of beer and wine. It's a tough job to apply the mixture, but it is recommended that it is done often. We try to do it at least once a weekend, in the summer months. In the winter months, we work on the bar top at home.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:00am
BEFORE :

AFTER :

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:03am
if there is glaze around the openings...she"s in trouble
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:04am
that one is a classic, how long will the pic last, im lmao...this early
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:09am
I got to hand to J-bear, he's got me so brainwashed with Brunstucky that a guy came into my shop and i asked him if he lived here in Brunstucky....he really got PO"d...I stopped and had to think why and it took me a while that we were in Brunswick
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 11:59am
Eric, you're crackin me up! LOL
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 2:15pm
reminds of a girl that use to stop by, one night were watching her, she goes into my dining room with new carpet, pulls them down and sqauts...im screaming WTF!!!
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 12:24pm
you guys are great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic