NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK’s 78 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Boat Nurse Boat Nurse wrote:

Ditto Pete, Roger, have we made final plans yet... Boat dr

Billy, I will be at SJRR 2012 will call you with my travel plans.
lets have a go 2
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 8:40pm
As you can see I have some old marine diesel turbos I have been playing with this how I have converted them to run off a Gas engine.

These are Volvo Penta units AKA kkk K27 turbos now part of Borgwarner trying to get OEM parts over here is not good.......just been given the run around by the official turbo suppliers ...... only happy to sell me a new one to change over......not good in the UK ... a lot of KoolAid around..... these turbos are a hybrid made by kkk using K27 turbines housings with a K29 fast spool compressor housing......yet to find boost maps for this combo.

Been collecting marine turbos for a while now it seems the Volvo Penta come up more here in the UK but my guess is most makes will change over with a little work......I managed to find an unofficial turbo parts supplier and rebuilt the turbos like this.

Your see the 3 turbine housings are all the same AR/size of flow but the one at the back has only 6 bolt clamping where the other 2 have 8 same part number just has cast #2 where the 6 bolt has #3 if you find this one life is good as it is a straight swap for the turbo shaft housing otherwise you will need to turn the flange off and turn down 1mm then turn the clamp ring on the housing.......all the other parameters are the same.

The turbine are the same size as a 911 turbo (sounds cool but they fit hundreds different engines) the hardest part to find is the compressor back plate.......no help from dealers and only have one so as it’s a flat shall make one this is my first test in Mdf before I run it out of the engineering grade Ali

First fit up.........all good now needs to be sent off for balancing

lets have a go 2
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 9:48pm
Roger,
Your mind is always working! Fantastic that your engineering skills go along with it. Keep us posted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 11:21pm
Roger can I be you apprentice? Cool stuff!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 11:57pm
Now this is cool stuff...very innovative.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 1:08am
Roger ,
Just think of what you could achieve if you could have easy access to the parts and materials you want!!
Too cool Monty
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
Your mind is always working! Fantastic that your engineering skills go along with it. Keep us posted.

Thanks Pete...will do the hard part is yet to come getting it to all run together   
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Roger can I be you apprentice? Cool stuff!

Keegan....next time your over pop by and if your on one of the Harley's you work with how cool would that be I think you need to open a shop up in the UK.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Now this is cool stuff...very innovative.

Thanks Allen...Keep up the great work on the 77 gotta keep the gen 2 SN numbers up   
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Roger ,
Just think of what you could achieve if you could have easy access to the parts and materials you want!!
Too cool Monty

Thanks Monty.....I have a long list of stuff you guys have which is not available here shall keep looking out for stuff or ways round the problems
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 8:47pm
Cool! will you use two of these big turbo chagers? how will you control the boost pressure?
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:15pm

Roger,

Very Nice! Are going to plumb up the exhaust yourself? Dry runners into a collector to the turbo then to the wet exhaust(lots of heat) or jacketed runners to the turbo, (Less heat, but less energy for the turbine)?

Pressurised airbox through a carb or EFI? How much boost are you aiming for? Initial compression ratio? Inquiring minds would like to know!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Ben#155 Ben#155 wrote:

Cool! will you use two of these big turbo chagers? how will you control the boost pressure?

Ben, Yes I will be running twin turbos,and boost pressure controlled by valves/wastegates along with it all hooked up to the engine management system.

Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Roger,

Very Nice! Are going to plumb up the exhaust yourself? Dry runners into a collector to the turbo then to the wet exhaust(lots of heat) or jacketed runners to the turbo, (Less heat, but less energy for the turbine)?

Pressurised airbox through a carb or EFI? How much boost are you aiming for? Initial compression ratio? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Gary, I'm making up some jacketed log stile manifolds keeping them as short as possible into the turbos,I'm just not keen on dry runners under the dog house.
Engine spec as follows......
SBC 383 running around 9 to 1 comp, keeping on the high side to help response and reduce lag at low rpm.
I am going with water cooled intercoolers.
Full sequential EFI by a programmable engine management system (had to wait a long time to get my hands on one)new out the box are just to much $$
Shooting for 12 to 15 psi boost and then work from there.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2012 at 10:44pm
110 octane or aviation gas? That should pull pretty well!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 12:39am
Roger - Pretty amazing stuff you have there. Can't wait to watch the video of your hole shot once you get it running!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 2:02pm
Are you (You are) building a new doghouse!!!!?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 5:10pm

110 octane or aviation gas? That should pull pretty well!

Gary, sorry for slow reply been off on a Easter Break , I am trying to run her on our super gas if I can keep the running temps down as much as possible.

Are you (You are) building a new doghouse!!!!?

I’m hoping to be able to mod the old as I have spare height now with the 1.23 tranny much the same as Joe and Tim have.

Cheers Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Did these a year or so ago, may be of help to others and could help keep the average age of boats here down

Sorry but sizes are mm

Sizes taken off my old stringers at the wide side of each,always check your ones are the same if you use the above drawings on your project.

Have Cad file if you need to print full size for template.

Would these work on a 1983 SN??
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 5:36am
As said this would not work for 2001 boats ...if you think yours may be mush inside once you have taken the floor out leaving the stringers have a some rolls of thick wall lining paper used in home decorating you can unroll and cut to the shape of the hull and draw along the top stringers ( do the face that facing the centre of the boat as that should be the tallest ) remember you will need to take the thickness of the old glass off the height on your new stringers .... my guess it will be 1/4 inch , as you remove just mark up you templates you have made . Thinking about it you may find your template may be about right in height as you would be marking the template off the hull with the stringer glass on it, you will have to judge for your self on the factory glassing down the stringer.
If you make a good job of this I'm sure someone on the site would copy them into Cad to help others .
Good luck with the build.
Happy Easter Guys.
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic