Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water comming out of fly wheel and starte

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water comming out of fly wheel and starte
    Posted: May-26-2009 at 3:59pm
good afternnon.I read your forums all the time but never had to post anything till now.
please help! i have water comming out from the bell housing and starter area. only leaks when boat is on. could it be a freeze plug from behind the fly wheel? I will have to take it apart and check. can i leave the engine in place and just remove the trany? i am sure i have to soppurt the engine while i am doing this. any help would be appricated.
oh, sorry it is a 1965 mustang with a PCM ford 302
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 5:42pm
Could be as simple as a freeze plug. But could be a crack that you do not want to see.

You will need to loosen the forward motor mounts so that you can tilt the motor on them. Jack up and support the motor. Remove the transmission, bellhousing and flywheel and see what you are really faced with.

Pictures are helpful.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 11:28am
thanks for getting back to me critter,
boat is at cottage and sorry i know i should have taking pics. will do next time i am up there. should be this week end. so, i should disconnect shaft, disconnect trany mounts. i will have a support and a chainfall. losen bolts on front mounts and raise trany and motor on an angle, then remove as nessesary to check it out. thanks, i kind of figured what i needed to do, but a second opinion is allways helpful!

thanks again and will let you now.
the last time i tried to post pics for some reason it wouldn't let me. i will try again
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 11:32am
hey critter just opened up your 66. i had one just like it. but the mustang needed less work so i kept the mustang and sold the barracuda. good luck one of my favorites
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 11:10pm
i looked the other day and dont think there are cast plugs back there, just the cam cover plug, no water there...crack??? but why there?
"the things you own will start to own you"
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 1:18pm
well just came back from NH working on boat.
there is a crack about 3" long upper right behind fly wheel. i must have been too hasty winterixing it last november! but it seems that the way the engine sits at the angle it sits at and on that side the drain plug is on the front of the block. on the other side the plug is in the back. i cleaned it up real good and applyed a two part marine appoxy on it twice over a peroid of about six hours. will run water through it before reassembly next weekend.
hope it will do the trick for the summer. then i will think about a new block for a winter project. again no photos sorry.
thanks for your intrest. it wasn't fun watching all the other CC's run by the dock on such flat water saturday.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 2:46pm
Maybe someone can answer this but werent the 302 notorius for developing block cracks?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 6:24pm
Paul,
Sorry to hear about the crack and I sure hope the epoxy holds.

Fill us in on the procedure you use for winterizing. Since you mentioned the block drains, I have to assume you are doing it correctly - drain while probing the holes with wire eliminating blockage caused by sediment and fill with antifreeze via a forward coolant hose. There are some questionable methods like trying to suck up antifreeze and pump it through the engine without even draining!!!!

If on a trailer, I'll lower the jack stand to get more water out of that forward block drain. If in the boat house, I'll just lift the stern of the boat with the lifting eye - However, I've never really seen that much more water come out on any engine I've done!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 11:48am
I have winterized this boat four times and never had a problem before but. i get a five gallon bucket of antifreeze and put it on the bow. i hook a hose up to my coolant hose and to the bucket of antifreeze. i let the antifreeze gravity feed it self to the engine. once there i start boat and let it run until it is all antifreeze comming out exhust then i let it run longer. the whole time i watch the temp. when the bucket is just about emty thats when i fog the carb. after that i drain all the block plugs and water pump plug disconnect all the hoses and let it drain. with all the hose disconnected i then pour more antifreeze into hoses. it just runs out the block drains but i do it anyways. i leave all the plugs out and the hoses dissconected for the winter. i take off the fame aresster and cover the carb. remove spark plugs and put a little mystery oil in then reenstall spark plugs just hand tight. plug exhust so no little critters get up there. cover the boat stick it in the gararge and cross my fingers till the spring. tilting the boat on the trailor seems would do the trick i will try it this winter. i will not know about the epoxy till this weekend and will let you all know
thanks again
Paul
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:02pm
Paul,
Drain the block first, put the drain plugs back in and then add the antifreeze. This is especially important if you are using RV type antifreeze as it's not intended to be diluted by water still in the block. Also, less wasted - A V8 should only take 1 gal. 2 max.

This is the method in the manual. I've used it probably a 100 times since the late 60's. Never had a problem!! The "pump through" method is risky as you have found out.

I'd like to add that many don't even add the antifreeze. Drain only has been done since the water cooled engine was developed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:41pm
dumb question but how do you add the antifreeze?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 5:00pm
Paul,
Winterizing instructions are in the manual for a PCM here in the ref section. PCM manual
It starts on page 31 and there's a nice picture on page 32 showing pouring the antifreeze in via one of the front hoses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 5:56pm
thanks
pfay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 5:09pm
thanks for all your insight! the epoxy held great. put it all back together. changed out my rutter because some one banged it up. put it in the water and it ran great. it seemed to run alot faster and quicker out of the hole. i am thinking because i did not have the home made engine cover on it that came with the boat when i bought it. it is a beast and i think it might have starved the engine of air. i really did notice a big differance.
what do you guys think? this winter i will be thinking about changing the block. i hope the epoxy last the summer.
Thanks again and happy boating
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 5:25pm
We'll all pray for the epoxy...it's not a permanent fix.

If you think the engine is starving for O2, then the vents are clogged or crushed.

Best of luck to you...really; summer can get short!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 7:12pm
He's got nothing to loose Greg, at least it's not under pressure like a car engine and when he's ready a 302 block should not too hard to find.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 8:34pm
Gary, I meant what I said in the best of spirits. I've been known to use a band-aid more than once!

This of course was before I met CCFan...and that's why Amy is bent that our boat was in the garage this w/e. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 9:34pm
I realize that Greg,and thats why we got to meet up at GL this year so we can see where were all coming from! I'll tell you now you two better bring your parka's and long underwear up,it does just not want to warm up yet,530pm, 71 with a North wind
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

and thats why we got to meet up at GL this year so we can see where were all coming from!

All good; just making sure I wasn't coming off the wrong way.   

I do seem to have that talent.

But like you said, those who know me tend to have the largest list of complaints?!!?    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 11:14pm
Oh yeah, better call owl gore!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic