Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edlebrock carb & intake manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edlebrock carb & intake manifold
    Posted: June-06-2009 at 2:52am
I have a 1985 SN 351w RH rotation. End of last year did not run that wel top speed 30 mph.
Tried to start it a couple of weeks ago would not start. Sprayed a little sarter fluid in it, got it running, but not good. This is the second holley in it, only 3 yrs old. I want to put a new edlebrock carb and intake manifold,elec dist , wires,fuel line, coil and resistor,    I talked with a edlebrock tech, got on the subject of the pcv valve hook up. I asked him if I could just get rid of it, he said no,it is needed. The edlebrock does not have a pcv port in the front.I also said that theunder the holley is a riser and the pcv port comes out of the back. He said very poor design , it should come from the front, something to do with better air distribution to the manifold. He did mention using a wedge but said that I still have to make sure that the pcv was hooked up properley.He was very serious about hooking the pcv back up. Any ideas on the best way to do this or does he know what he is talking about?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 6:23am
Arktrans, the problem with your boat not getting up to speed is not due to the type of carb you have. That is if you are still running a 4160. I'd stay with the Holley,...that's what it came with! There are many reasons for sticking with the Holley and one of them is you don't need the wedge. Also,...I'm sure a Holley tech would argue that using a rear port for the PCV is just fine. Upgrading the ignition is a good idea though,..I'd do that first. And yes,... keep the PCV system. I'd also start looking into the mechanical condition of your engine,...that is after a good tune up (new spark plugs if you are going through with ignition upgrades). After the tune-up, ignition upgrade and verifying the mechanical condition of your engine,... if you are still not getting up to speed, take a look at your carburetor. Oh,.. and by the way, how are you measuring speed?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 2:21pm
arktrans
For another opinion, The info you have got from that "tech" is not correct. Stick with the ORIG equipment, Here is why. The crankcase needs the pvc valve vacuum to keep the piston ring bypass (Blowby) from collecting in the engine. Now on "Racing" engines they often only have breathers on both sides of the valve covers to release the blowby to outside air. This is fine for them but on a marine app thinking not a good idea as everything on a boat is enclosed to reduce fumes to a minimum. Play it safe and get to the REAL problem you are dealing with. GET GOOD HELP. A holley is very very easy to clean and check. Look at the complete engine before you spend the cash on a new carb. I say all this because I have in the past done the same thing..... And just was missing the real problem.
Bob
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 2:25pm
Sorry I read the post again... Well take what you can from my note. That front to back deal with the pvc dont make a difference... just so its there. Check the Points (If applicable) and pull the spark plugs they will tell what the engine is doing.

Bob
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 11:33am
plus with no PCV, and the engine unable to breath, at times they will blow the seals out because of the crankcase pressure, the pcv is a working system of any engine and is needed..there were guys back in the day that would put a small orifice in the engine and run a vacuum pump on the crankcase side of the engine and create negative CC PSI, kept the engine real clean and was said to increase HP...nothing in writing to back it up though
"the things you own will start to own you"
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 1:14pm
I have done a compression check all at 120 psi. I rebuilt a 3 yr old holley 4160 marine , put in new plugs, all were black in about 20 minuts of running with very rough idling. This was done with the boat out of water, hooked to a water pick up tube in 55 gal drum, engine is running cool. Tried differnt timing. the only thing that I can think of is bad dist. that has the pertronix conversion. Or bad carb that I rebuilt.Put in fresh gas, it runs the same as before being rebuilt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:47pm
Ark, where are you form here in Cleveland?
how many hours on the boat? Ive been again messing with an Edelbrock carb recently, for some reason they like to dump fuel down the engine, I have such a hard time with them whatever they are on..stick with the holley, I think if you describe in detail some more of the problems you are having with the boat, someone will come up with a solution....anything else on the history of the boat will help too.
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 4:27pm
Just thinking out load, during your rebuilds have you replaced the Power valve, as I have been told but not experenced they can rupture the seperating diaphram and than cause a rich condition at idle. Next is the float / needle and seat. Hope that helps.
Bob
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 5:16pm
I live in Strongsville.
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 5:24pm
Can I use the new dual plane edlebrock intake manifold with the new holley? Will the approx 1 inch thick spacer from the original intake work on the edlebrock intake to the holley?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 9:35pm
J-Bear is from Strongsville, im down the street in the Brunstucky, but live in Aurora
one of these guys will be able to answer the spacer thing
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by arktrans arktrans wrote:

Can I use the new dual plane edlebrock intake manifold with the new holley? Will the approx 1 inch thick spacer from the original intake work on the edlebrock intake to the holley?

You can use the spacer that came off if it fits under the motor cover(you may need a lowere profile flame arrestor) but either way when installing an edelbrock performer you must install this adapter between the intake and the carb or spacer.

So you go intake, adapter, spacer, then holley. If you add the spacer back in you will need 3 gaskets.

If you haven't purchased the intake yet take a look at the Summit brands, they don't need the adapter. I don't think Weiand needs one either.
chessloveedit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessloveedit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 12:45am
If the dist were the problem wouldnt it run bad at all speeds and rpms.
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 2:00am
Why would the summit or weiand not need a adapter?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 10:47am

Why would the summit or weiand not need a adapter?

This just a wild guess but I'd think the Edelbrock manifold is designed to fit an Edelbrock carb. The Holleys we use are square bore and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Edelbrock carbs are not. ( I may learn something here but that's my guess)

I'm not positive on the WEeiand because I don't have one but I don't believe you need the adapter. I put one of the Summits on my boat this winter and it does not require the adapter.

ps. I took a chance on the Summit brand simply because it is quite a bit less expensive and I can say nothing negative about the way it's built. Nice heavy walls and plenty of room for gasket matching without the fear of breaking through.
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 9:34pm
Do you know what Summit model # you bought? SO you put the spacer than the holley?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 12:02am

Do you know what Summit model # you bought? SO you put the spacer than the holley?

Summit intake

I went with a wedge spacer
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 12:26am
Alan... it is as clean on the inside as it is on the outside...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 2:26am
What degree is the wedge? Does that wedge have a pcv port? If not where is the pcv hose going to? What model is the Holley?
How does it run with this set up?

Sorry to ask so many ? I hear so many different mods , I just do not want to make bad calls if I know there are knowledgeable SN boaters that have already research and found out what is the best set up.
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 3:32am
Its hard for me to see if the pcv hose is going into the wedge or the carb. Does that wedge have a pcv port? It looks like it is going in to the base of the Holley. Is that a Marine Holley?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 10:29am
ark, i have a spacer somewhere, call me and I'll pull the model number off a Holley, you need a marine carb on the boat.
Alan, all holds true on the Summit brands...Summit doesnt manufacture thier own products, they purchase from the big companies and the parts meet or exceed normal qaulity because of the liabilities. when your on the phone with them ask them who makes the part and they wont tell you, I always buy Summit brand Cams, they are half the price and hold the same warranties, even though im told Crane went out of business, they made the cams for Summit, you would Always see a Crane box in the instructions when Installing.
I always go for the Summit products first then to the mainstream
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Alan... it is as clean on the inside as it is on the outside...

Roger, with the amount of use I've given it this year it's gonna stay clean too. Haven't even put on a ski yet, hopefully that changes this weekend.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:31am

What degree is the wedge? Does that wedge have a pcv port? If not where is the pcv hose going to? What model is the Holley?
How does it run with this set up?

Sorry to ask so many ? I hear so many different mods , I just do not want to make bad calls if I know there are knowledgeable SN boaters that have already research and found out what is the best set up.

That is an 8degree wedge transdapt 2028, it does not have a vacuum port. The carb is a newer model marine 4160 and has the vacuum port on the base. If your carb does not have the port you can hook the PCV to the rear of the intake. In my photo I have the port plumbed for a vacuum gauge (Red Cap)but thats where you could hook the PCV.

It runs awesome, many here run the wedge and I'm not aware of any problems
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:38am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Alan, all holds true on the Summit brands...Summit doesnt manufacture thier own products, they purchase from the big companies and the parts meet or exceed normal qaulity because of the liabilities.

Eric, I've used a fair amount of Summit brand items without any problems.

Did you know they now offer a Holley Clone and it's made by guess who...Holley.

I used Summit for my hoses and AN fittings, 1/2 price over Earls or the name brands. I don't always price shop but on some items it comes to quite a big price difference and you just have to.
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 1:52pm
I have just orderd a new Holley 4160-80319, 600 cfm, it does not have a vacumm port. What model do you have?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 12:00am
someone told me that the other day, what is the price difference?

ark, your starting to trip over 100.00 bills to pick up dimes.....Holley's dont fck up often especially after 2 of them in 3 years, your parts swapping to find a problem...use the thing on top of your shoulders and back track from what you may think the problem is. an engine needs 3 basic things, air, fuel, spark,
have you done any compression tests, ran a vacuum gauge on it?
Once again, when you go to the Doctor what is normal procedure? he checks your weight, your pulse and your blood pressure....same concept with an engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 12:14am
I re-read your post and you did do a comp test good....now, rich plugs means that the carb probably is working like it should. its definitely not an air problem cause there is no air filter which leads to spark, are you getting a nice purple spark or an orange spark?
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 1:58am
After the last time trying to start it I am not getting any spark. That is why I am getting a new Mallory elec dist. and coil.The original has the pertronix upgrade but I want to get rid of it. I just want to get it running smooth the way it should, and get out on the lake with my kids and have fun and not worry about , will it die, will it not start, on and on and on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 8:53am
i think the Mallory will cure your problem (if installed correctly)
arktrans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arktrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 6:59pm
Ok I call Summit to check on either their or Edlebrocks intake manifold. The tech said that niether one has a port that should be used for pcv. Do they knopw what they are talking about?

Do you know what Holley model # you have with the pcv port at its base?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic