Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temperature 454 PMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature 454 PMC
    Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:11pm
OK, my 87 CC with the 454 PMC engine tends to run in the 170 - 190 degree range, no matter what rpm. Impeller has just been replaced but that didn't change the temp. Not sure what thermostat it has, but would a 143 help? Or does the thing even need a thermostat if it is only run in relatively warm weather? Whole purpose of a thermostat is to help warm up the engine, not to control the upper end necessarily. Maybe a stupid question, but where is the thermostat located on a 454 PMC?
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:29pm
PCM, your engine falls into the normal operating temperatures that the engine needs to run economically, it will be in the thermostat housing on top of the intake
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:30pm
BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question....well maybe there is, such as where is the outdrive at
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:51pm
Yeah, where is that outdrive thingy? I can't seem to find mine!

Thanks on the temperature question, so it seems that the 170 - 190 degrees is actually not a problem then? I actually have an old Chevy truck that has this same engine and it runs to the hot side also with no problem. Maybe just a quirk of the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 2:56pm
you do need the thermostat in it so dont remove it, 190 may be a touch hot but nothing to worry about, the choices are a 143 or 160 and im pretty sure most of the times the guy's are running the 143...i think someone will be along sometime to confirm the temps, when you see of a more radical temp difference such as 210 the you need to worry or if the gauge fluctuates quickly up and down
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 3:01pm
OK on the needing the thermostat, and I have never seen the guage go over 190, never fluctuates rapidly. Maybe I just need to replace with a 143 just as routine maint. These things are relatively inexpensive and supposedly easy to change out.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 3:06pm
If you never went over 190 you'd be fine, but your margin of error is close. Mine sees 180 if I get on it and then shut it off. Otherwise it stays around 160. I have the 143.

If you haven't already, check your hose connections, the strainer, and maybe the trans cooler.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 4:45pm
My 454 runs right around 160. It will climb to 190 after returning to idle after a speed run of considerable length. When it does this it only takes about 30 seconds for the temp to come back down to 160.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 8:31pm
Only one temp is offered for a PCM 454 thermostat which is 160. Which will make the motor run 170-190. If it goes higher, when you are running across the lake than you will need to replace it. It will go up after a run when you come back to idle but if the impeller is good it will go right back to normal. Hope this helps.
woodyelc
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 1:16am
Think that you can get a 143 for this engine, but in any case I took the boat out for a long run today and even running hard for about 10 minutes it never got over 180 and just cruising it stayed at 160 - 170 so I think that all is OK.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 2:22pm
BTW how are you liking you're Riviera? Did you remove the mufflers? We'd like to see some pictures! Are you going to post in the diaries? sorry about all the questions, just curious.

Steve

Edit: Oops, my bad. I see you have it in the diaries. If you edit your profile and add your diaries ID # ( ID=4552 )in your profile you will get the avitar on your post.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 3:56pm
Yeah, this is one big boat as you likely know and the gas tank ( all 40 gallons of it! ) has to be removed to get at the rear muffler clamps. HEAVY!!!! So I have postponed the muffler removal until the fall. I actually just got the boat back in the water Saturday as I had to put a new lift in my boat house that would lift 4,000 pounds ( as I said, HEAVY ), this thing is no Tique! I have taken it for a couple of good runs and am in process of "learning" the boat. Am past the temperature issue that I thought that I had, but will still use some of the advice just to keep everything cool. I discovered that the "fuse system" is like the one on my Harley, too much load and EVERYTHING shuts down, the boat just plain stops! When the fuse cools off all is good. Apparently you can't run everything at once, ie bilge pump, blower, ACC, etc. Or maybe this is yet another forum! The 454 is awesome though and will take that big boat for a big ride quickly. Later this week I will try to take some pics for the dairy. Thanks for the curiousity.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 12:29pm
FYI, the 145 degree thermostat for the 454 is part # 0701 from skidim and includes the thermostat and all gaskets, etc.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 5:25pm
Sandy, how did the 145 work out for you. I'm thinking about changing mine out as well.
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 6:19pm
Actually I am now using the 143 thermostat and it works great. Also had to replace my water pump as it was leaking. In any case, even after really hard runs the temp never gets over 160. All is good...
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 6:46pm
My 454 runs at 160 and after running 38 - 43 MPH pulling a skier then back to idle it will spike up to 180.

I have another issue! When I turn on the navigation lights the temp gage goes up 20 degrees and the alarm will chirp. I have seen some pics where folks re-wire the daisy chain harness to a block design. Could this be the problem? Some of the same weird issues when the blower is running.
Thanks.......Tom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by oledawg oledawg wrote:

Actually I am now using the 143 thermostat and it works great. Also had to replace my water pump as it was leaking. In any case, even after really hard runs the temp never gets over 160. All is good...

Where did you get a 143 thermostat for a PCM 454?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

I have another issue! When I turn on the navigation lights the temp gage goes up 20 degrees and the alarm will chirp. I have seen some pics where folks re-wire the daisy chain harness to a block design. Could this be the problem? Some of the same weird issues when the blower is running.

Yeah, this is basically caused by marginal wiring. I got a bus bar, and ran a new ground from my engine (you could do it from your battery too).

I connected the new ground to the bar, and tied back to the bar from multiple points along the daisy chain. It definitely stopped my temp gauge from moving when accessories are turned on.

A general clean up and replace of terminal ends, and suspect runs of wire help as well.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:27pm
I am pretty sure that I got my last 143 from Skidim ( Discount Marine Parts ) but I notice that they no longer show such an item. You might want to contact them to see if they still carry it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:35pm
I just had a PCM 454 thermostat convesation with them last week, which is why I asked. 143 sounds like the much more common 351 thermostat.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 4:29pm
Looked back at my order in 2009 and the part # was 0701 and was about $58 with all gaskets, etc. They still have this but it is $79 now. It is what is running in my boat as we speak, so I know that it works...

Actual e-mail:

To: 'Sandy Browder'
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 9:00 AM
Subject: RE: Thermostat

Hello,

Item # 0701 is the T-stat and all gaskets, cost $57.30 (145 degree).

Thanks,

Richard Powlas
www.skidim.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 4:40pm
You said 145 in some spots and 143 in others. I think I get it now, you meant 145 the whole time.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 7:01pm
143, 145, what is a few degrees among friends
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 7:05pm
They are completely different units and will not interchange between the 351 and 454, so yeah kind of a difference.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 7:38pm
OK, I don't know what your point is. The description says it is for GM motors, it fit and works on my 454, so do what you will with the information. I am not going to debate you about it. 'Nuff said, ask someone else since you obviously do not care for my input.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 7:49pm
You can't put a PCM 143 thermostat (for the 351) in a 454. I don't want someone to get confused and try that. The 145 is significantly more expensive unfortunately.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 2:44am
You know, I looked back through this 2009 thread and it pretty much consistently says 145, not sure why I mentioned 143 in 2012, but it is clear since there is no 143 for a 454 that this was a mistake on my part. I didn't bring it up now, you guys did, for some reason. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I am a bad person. From now on it seems that I should probably just ignore CCF questions, I don't need hassles of any type over something nit-picky like this. This is the kind of thing that could make me leave a forum. The 145 that I bought and installed was and is relatively expensive, but when a $5,000+ engine runs 15-20 degrees cooler it is worth it to me. My opinion, again, if worth anything, but seemingly not.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 2:55am
I just had the the t-stat out of the BFN last week. My BFN is running a 143 degree t-stat that looks nothing like the one for 351 pcm. The t-stat in the BFN has a chrome cup and a long plunger the whole t-stat end to end is roughly 3 inches. The t-stat that ski-dim sent me is not the same as the one that is currently in the boat.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 10:11am
I keep parts cards. FWIW-I have the 454 kit with gaskets-Sea Maxx Genuine PCM parts part# RPO26003. I thought it was a 143, but it may be a 145. I do remember having the 160 from an auto parts place, and it ran pretty hot. The only markings I see on the thermostat are on the top of the sensor 26 F5.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2012 at 4:04pm
Yikes, thin skin alert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic