Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Sport Nautique Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cuwakeboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuwakeboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Sport Nautique Problems
    Posted: June-08-2009 at 2:51pm
Over the last couple weeks several issues have popped up with my Sport Nautique (PCM 351). The first was a starting issue. The boat seems to start ok sometimes and very poorly other times. It seems to start better when all other electrical systems are off. This makes me think that the problem could be a wiring issue. One time it would not start, but after fiddling with the connections it did eventually start. When running the boats voltage level is at around 11.5 volts (lower than I expected).

Another issue is power. Sometimes the boat has decent power, and other times it struggles to plane out. This makes me think there is a problem with either the carburetor, fuel filter, ect. Even when running ok, it seems to not have the power it should (Takes about 10-15 seconds to pull a wakeboarder up to 20-23 mph).

Could these problems be related? Are my initial thoughts on track?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 7:05pm
I would strongly recommned doing a compression test to see how your engine health is.. from there start looking for the causes of lack of power ect...weak power can came from lots of reasons..from problems with fuel(system or fuel quality), ignition(timing),etc, to the worst that would be engine wear, piston rings etc......wich engine do you have? base or proboss? Is the boat with ballast when pulling rider or just people? how many hours?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
cuwakeboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuwakeboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 8:00pm
I have the base 351. I am pulling with about 6 people in the boat and no ballast. The thing I don't understand, is that sometimes the boat has power and other times it struggles to plane out. This makes me think it is a fuel issue.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 8:17pm
yes i thought of that after reading again your problems....maybe you have a clogged fuel line or at the tank some debris floating around that clogges the fuel. But in that case the sympton would be like the engine will stall, strve for fuel... shut off...when you feel it w/o power you feel its running rough or its just the loss of power.. it eventually shut off?
hows your oil?
I would stick with the compression test anyway... and then from there star trouble shooting....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 8:22pm
Once I had this thing with the fuel pump..one day it ran ok and then the engine would stall, starve for fuel.. ended up being debris out of the pump that was starting to go bad... the diaphram was falling apart.. I changed the pump and got in track again....
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 11:55pm
Eric 11.5 volts is not enough with boat running should be in high 13s depending on battery condition.
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Does the engine turn over on the starter strongly?

First stop would be to clean connectors at engine harness plugs at rear of engine. Then work you way back.

The dash wiring is not the best in these boats so the voltmeter always reads lower than it really is. If you have a test meter check voltage at battery when the engine is running and also when it is stopped this will give you a indication if the charging circuit is working and a truer indication of battery voltage.

The low voltage is a problem but do not rule the fuel system out. Without starting the boat give the throttle a couple of pumps and see if your accelerator pump is squirting fuel down the primary throat of the carb (remove flame arrestor to check). If you see a good solid stream there is fuel in the fuel bowl which is a good start diagnosing fuel supply problems.

Hope this helps get back to us with the results and resolution.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic