Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Transmission removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Transmission removal
    Posted: June-08-2009 at 10:57pm
I sold my PCM 351 to one fellow and the 10-17 transmission to another and I can't remove the transmission from the bellhousing. Please, how do I get them apart?

Sam57
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 11:29pm
Sam,
Pull the bell housing off the engine and you'll be able to do apply force (light hammering with a wood block) to the trans while supporting the bell. The trans and the bell housing has a piloted bore (a step). It's probably corroded. Some Kroil (penetrating lube) or equal will help too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 12:57am
I've got a doctor appt. in the morning, but I'll get back to it after lunch. Thank you very much for the advise. It's nice having hundreds of guys out there ready to help-out.

Sam
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 10:33am
I'll correct Pete, Heavy hammering with a block of wood...side to side until you see a gap, then 2 screwdrivers to pry from housing.
havnt broke one yet Pete
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 10:59am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I'll correct Pete, Heavy hammering with a block of wood

I always try to be on the safe side! You know if I had mentioned "heavy" and he went after it with a sledge braking something then it would be my fault!! It's the same principle as we talked about before - the block of wood between the prop and the hull and then the 8' cheater bar on the wrench!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:32am
I pictured the guy using a rubber mallet, and love tapping it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:36am
do the same sht here, I'll watch a guy for a couple minutes love tapping....walk over with a big gun, one whack its done.
I know where your coming from though Pete. lol
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I pictured the guy using a rubber mallet, and love tapping it

That's all mine takes before it's in my lap or on my toes! Plus a slight lift from underneath, but that's on the picker; not in the boat.

And if there's the slightest bit of oil anywhere, it's like trying to play catch with a wet cannon ball.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 12:33am
It took me 3 hours to get the bellhousing off, what a job. I soaked the inside of the bellhousing with rust-buster and I'll try to get the transmission separated from bellhousing tomorrow.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sam
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 12:36pm
Sam,
What was preventing the bell housing from coming off? Was the splined trans input shaft rusted into the dampner plate hub? I remember KO's down in Aruba was. They ended up pretty much destroying the dampner to get the trans/bell housing off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 2:01pm
if thats the case, pull the starter and unbolt the damper from the flywheel, would cut your time down to 15 minutes, in my case...20 bucks   lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic