Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alternator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lectrician89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lectrician89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator
    Posted: February-11-2004 at 8:07pm
Does a marine alternator on a reverse rotation motor need to be wired for thr reverse rtation, or will an automobile one work. I should know this but I don't

Also, does the wire from the ammeter that goes to the battery in the charging circuit?
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2004 at 9:10pm
the pigtail on the motor gets hot an fries if there is a corrosion build-up. check that plug first and then look into the regulator.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 12:28am
i have been told an alternator will charge the battery turning in either direction.makes no difference.but you know an automotive alternator in your boat is a bad idea.
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 1:29pm
I have talk to vinnce a skidim and the rotation is not a problem works either way, put don't use am automotive alternator get a marine version. Regarding the ampmeter it is wire a little different if you have a volt meter. I replaced the alternator and the wiring harness last year and wired it up according to the diagram and things did not work correctly. Apparently inside of the wiring harness things are spliced and/or jumpered which effect the way it is wired to the solenoid and feeds the ignition coil and choke stat. Got the insert on how to wire for an ampmeter but was surpriced that one of the positive leads has to be tape off and not connected. Most diagrams show a volt meter set-up so I would give vinnce a call and he can help you get the wiring correct.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2004 at 2:38pm
with an ampmeter set up, ALL the power for the boat goes through the gauge. solder and di-electric shrink wrap any connections. no butt connectors.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic