NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breaker Trips everytime

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaker Trips everytime
    Posted: June-24-2009 at 11:18am
The 40 amp breaker relay on the back of the engine is blowing everytime I fire the boat up. It happens after about 1 minute at idle. I have traced the amps and I am getting 40-41 amps going from the alternator to the breaker, then 40-41 amps from the breaker to the starter relay and then 30-35 going back to the battery. The battery is new, just got the alternator checked out and a new voltage regulator installed.

What would the 30-35 amps tell you coming from the battery? Also, where should the wire going to the alternator be running back to? Mine goes through this breaker and doesn't go through the ballast resistor first like I have seen in some drawings. Thanks in advance.

Jay
Jay
Current 2000 Air Nautique

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 11:51am
Jay,
Was the new battery fully charged? The amps between the battery and the relay are going to the battery and not from it. What's weird is why you are loosing 5 to 6 amps past the relay. How are the terminations at the relay? Is the alternator stock or has it been upsized? If upsized, the breaker may be too small. If so, also check your wire sizing from the breaker to the relay (solenoid). How are you getting the amp readings? A clamp on or a shunt? The clamp on's aren't the greatest for accuracy on DC.

Take a look at Tims electrical diagram in this thread (I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet in the new forums): http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14126&title=neutral-safety-switch-issues The ouput of the alternator goes to the breaker and not the ballast resistor. The power to the ballast resistor (ign. cuircuit) is switched via the key switch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 12:59pm
Pete,

I can't access the diagram. It says the page does not exist.

I am using a clamp that I got from one of our electrical engineers here at work. The alt is a 55 amp alt. I have a 40 amp breaker. Do I need to upsize the breaker to a 60 amp? I did test with an older spare battery and the amps went down but it was alot harder to start. Battery was probably pretty weak and was not fully charged. Had been sitting up in the front of the boat under the bow for a while.

I have only owned the boat since last September and this had happened twice where the breaker was tripped. Now it is happening all the time.
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 1:00pm
I copied and pasted and now i got it
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 1:32pm
On the diagram that Tim posted, he shows a 50 amp breaker. What was the standard amp alternator. Is this an upgraded alternator that I have that is a 55 amp? The terminals at the relay look good.
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:26pm
Jay,
I don't know what the stock alternator would be. One of the other guys will know. Since the aternator is larger that the breaker, I'd go with a larger breaker. Make sure the wire from the alternator all the way to the solenoid can handle the 55 amps. 8 gauge would be my choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:30pm
Thanks Pete,

I went home at lunch and tested again to see which way the amps were going. Now the amps were a lot lower. Once I cranked the boat, the amps went out at around 300 then changed directions and were coming back in at about 23 back to the battery. We had been troubleshooting another issue last weekend with the fuel pump/line/anti siphon valve/carb, etc...and spent alot of time just trying to get the boat cranked. Once we finally got it cranked, after about 50 times trying, the breaker tripped. We never went out in the boat because of this. It just stayed at the dock all weekend. We got the fuel problem resolved and then this.

Would I be right in thinking that the boat could have run down the battery so much that it still had plenty of cranking amps but was low enough that the alternator was needing to give it 40 amps to try and charge back up the battery? And that now after I have run it for a while and it has sat that maybe it has charged up?

Thanks
Jay
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:55pm
Jay, that could very well be the case. I have to admit that Im not sure what the stock alt size is for any given year- but based on your breaker being 40A, the original alt was probably 35A.

The 10 awg wire running from the alt to the breaker and again to the dash is really at its safety limit with the new 55A alt. I would suggest rewiring it to be safe. That would entail keeping the 40A breaker to protect the 10awg wire to the dash, and adding a larger 55A breaker to the charging circuit. You would also want to upsize the wiring from the alt to the breaker to 8awg like Pete suggested.

85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 8:14pm
Tim,

Thanks so much for the suggestion and the updated diagram. I will be upgrading this immediately. I see at skidim they only have a 50A or 60A breaker. Should I use one of those or where can I find a 55A?

Thanks
Jay
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 11:36pm
Just as Tim mentioned the original most likely would have been a 35 amp alternator with a 40 amp breaker, that puts the breaker 5 amps over. If you can't find the 55 breaker, use the same 5 over and go with the 60 breaker but you MUST upgrade the wire.

BTW, the battery really must have been drained to need over 40 amps to charge it back up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 2:29am
Hey,

I just put a 51amp alternator in place of the old 35amp and 40amp breaker that was in the boat. I also purchased the recommended wire harness and it came with a 50 amp breaker. I am also replacing the battery cables as I think they are old and full of voltage dropping corrosion.

Clew In
Clew In
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 5:38pm
Tom,

Was the wire harness and breaker in a kit? Where did you get it?

Pete,

The battery was very low. The alternator charged it back up no problem. Went out all weekend with no problems. Everytime I checked the amps they were going down until finally it is running about 3amps only out of the alternator. I must have really run it down trying and trying to get the fuel issue resolved and get it cranked.

Thanks for all the help
Jay

Old 1985 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic