NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Get the Kids out on the water.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 21>
Author
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 2:25pm
I don't feel a difference between stretch and no stretch, and I easily clear the wakes. I have wondered if that only becomes a big deal with you start catching serious air?

With a kid starting to get aggressive, I recommend a helmet. My daughter took the board to the back of the head and we had to get he stitches this season. Kids are flexible enough where with the board attached to their feet the board can come all the way up and crack their skull. It is called the scorpion affect.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 2:46pm
There is a difference between spectra/dyneema and poly e rope. Some ropes marketed as low stretch really do stretch...stretch is for slalom skiing. No stretch for wakeboarding or barefooting. No stretch stops any rebound action towards the boat so nobody ever gets hit with a handle.
Stitches...I've seen lots of facial cuts from skis wakeboards wakeskis other boards and also body parts like knee to head or hand to face.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 3:13pm
To further clear things up

Typical slalom ropes (colored take offs) are polyPropylene. The natural stretch in these is actually desired for slalom skiing, not to mention all those loops taking time to actually snug up.

Better for wake/foot/trick would be polyEthylene. These are considered low stretch. Far less stretch and rebounding than polyP. A cheap entry rope.

Best is spectra/dyneema. These have essentially zero stretch but many times more expensive than typical polyE ski rope. (These ropes are actually finely woven polyE).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 3:51pm
Mine are 100% spectra, response brand.   
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 4:09pm
I bought a low stretch wake board rope, that doesn't stretch, which is good. What it does do though, is tangle really easily. You have to be very careful with it to keep it from knotting up on you.

A little off subject, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a no-stretch, no-tangle, wake board rope?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 4:43pm
Something with a jacket. The core of most wakeboard ropes is the spectra/dyneema. It's very strong, so you don't need much thickness. However, 1/8" rope will be like pulling headphone wires out of your pocket. The jacket provides UV protection and stiffness. The stiffer the rope, think lasso, the more knot resistant it will be. I'll keep you on my radar for one. There are too many brands to even list but it's basically all the same product. I usually find gently used ropes or dealer closeouts on eBay. Retail is typically around $1/ft but if you're patient you'll find a line for a quarter/third of that.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 5:18pm
I started with Proline Response but hated it. Hard to see in the water and knotted everytime.

Finally got Liquid force vision mainline and it works a lot better.

*on my phone cant preview links. I can correct later if needed.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 5:27pm
Thanks for the links guys
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 7:41pm
Mine is the proline response. The way I have found to deal with it, and it drives my OCD friends crazy, it to pull it back into the boat hand over hand and let it drop into a pile on the floor of the boat. Whenever I try to loop it, I end up having to untangle it when I throw it back out.

We most often have two kneeboarders out at a time so I am dealing with 2 of them. I just hand over hand one to port and one to starboard.

Next time I will be darn sure I get something with a jacket.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Something with a jacket. The core of most wakeboard ropes is the spectra/dyneema. It's very strong, so you don't need much thickness. However, 1/8" rope will be like pulling headphone wires out of your pocket. The jacket provides UV protection and stiffness. The stiffer the rope, think lasso, the more knot resistant it will be. I'll keep you on my radar for one. There are too many brands to even list but it's basically all the same product. I usually find gently used ropes or dealer closeouts on eBay. Retail is typically around $1/ft but if you're patient you'll find a line for a quarter/third of that.

This is not wrong. But, I do have a Spectra line with no jacket that I bought in 1999. Still in great shape, and gets used almost every weekend. I you take care of them, they do not get tangled, and they do not get knotted.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the input. I actually have a spectra line that I use when I board, but he likes the slalom handle because its not as wide. I also thought that at 65 pounds the stretch wouldn't make a big difference. Maybe I'm wrong.
The rope length issue is also interesting, He's pulled in to 28 off I think, maybe 22 I can't remember. When the rope gets too short the wake loses shape. I'm also trying to find the sweet spot for his abilities. If I pull in too much, he has a bad wake. A little further back, he's landing on the inside of the wake and right into it which is a tough place to land. Moving it back a bit puts him landing in the middle of the wakes but it gives him time to recover before he hits the second wake. A little bit more distance in his jumps and I'll be able to move it in to the point where he's landing on the down side of the wake.
We also have a fly high but its obviously not in use in this photo. This was a spur of the moment run when the cove was empty and we went for it. It also happened to be the best photo from the week!
I should get him a helmet too. Both his cousin and a friend have had stitches due to the scorpion effect.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 12:33pm
absolutely do not use a slalom rope up on the fly high, you're asking for the handle to come flying into the boat cabin
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2016 at 12:10pm
I've seen the jacketed ropes with breaks in the jacket it's pretty much ruined since it doesn't slide thru your hands fingers arm or whatever you let it slide along...they are nice til then.
Old white spectra is tough to roll up and doesn't "feel" very good in your hand and knots all the time until its really used
Some of the barefoot ropes ive got from barefootcentral are super nice...I think with ropes you get what you pay for these days a good NO stretch zero stretch rope is going to run around $125
This is the life
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 2:03pm
This boy was determined and succeeded at 5 years old. After seeing his sister do well, he was challenged. What a great time and awesome to see other boater stopping and cheering along...,great time

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 8:58pm
Attaboi!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:03pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:47pm
Way to go
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 3:18pm
Well guys I'm screwed!!! Once again a good skier lured into the darkness of the knuckle draggers. (Snow board lingo)
Was visiting a friend at the lake this past weekend and his 9 yr old wanted to show off his wake boarding to my 9 yr old daughter.
So my daughter asked if she could try and you guessed it she rocked it. Popped up first time every time and by the end of the weekend was showing up our host's boy.
The problem now is she says she loves it and is asking for a wake board for Christmas. So any info would help I know nothing about these darn things, she weighs 53lbs with a 5 yr old hot on her heels.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Well guys I'm screwed!!! Once again a good skier lured into the darkness of the knuckle draggers. (Snow board lingo)
Was visiting a friend at the lake this past weekend and his 9 yr old wanted to show off his wake boarding to my 9 yr old daughter.
So my daughter asked if she could try and you guessed it she rocked it. Popped up first time every time and by the end of the weekend was showing up our host's boy.
The problem now is she says she loves it and is asking for a wake board for Christmas. So any info would help I know nothing about these darn things, she weighs 53lbs with a 5 yr old hot on her heels.

Welcome to the dark side! I would probably look into something in the 118cm range for her, such as this one. It'll last her a while before she outgrows it without being too big.
http://obrien.com/product/hooky/

I'm actually looking into picking up the 110cm version for my 4 year old. I have a couple of friends that run a school down here and they love this board for teaching kids.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 4:04pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 4:55pm
^^^ X2
we need someone to print up some stickers like that. Hello Marty !!! Hint hint
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 7:01pm
Paul, I might have one for you!!! i'll just say I have no idea where that thing went LOL... my daughter hasn't even thought about it since learning to slalom. Just have to get my son into slalom! Any time you want it for a week or whatever... just hauler! I'd hate to see more funding go toward that sport!

I will say watching us old guys zagging through the balls helped.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 7:13pm
Thanks Andy if you find it let me know.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 12:16pm
Here is a good picture of kids on the water.
From back in August. The Oertells were visiting, on vacation, from Italy.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 8:44pm
This was a big weekend for our daughter Dagny. First, she learned how to get up on two skis deepwater, no more trainer skis. Then, she learned how to do a surface 180, cut toeside, and did her first wake jump on a wakeboard. Did I mention she's FOUR?

I made a clip of her various accomplishments this weekend:
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 10:53am
She looks very comfortable, if not sort of bored. She will be good.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 11:04am
This is a good thread, so I went back through it last night. Seven years ago, I made this entry.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Excellent video John. What great fun. In all my years of being out skiing with my kids (since about 1995), I don't think I've ever doubled (or tripled) with them. Might have to do something about that.

I'm happy to say that in the past couple years, I have been able to remedy the situation.

The video is from 2013

The first photo is from Summer 15 when my daughter was down visiting.

The second one is just this past Father's Day. Cool way to celebrate.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 11:17am
Doubles and triples are fun. Some of my best memories growing up are triple trick runs with my dad and uncle. We used to have lake weed fights, push each other down, and the two outside guys would drown the guy in the middle with spray. Good times!

I go doubles with my daughter now. It will be nice in a few years when I can go faster than 14mph.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 11:46am
Great start at 4 yrs old! Is she right or left foot forward? Looks like R dominate but solid either way, awesome!! Did like the part where she was eyeballing the fisherman, lol
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Great start at 4 yrs old! Is she right or left foot forward? Looks like R dominate but solid either way, awesome!! Did like the part where she was eyeballing the fisherman, lol

Good eye, we're both right foot forward but I'm encouraging her to learn both ways before she develops a strong preference. My switchstance riding would be much stronger if I had put in more time riding left foot forward. It'll only help if she decides to trick later on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 21>
  Share Topic