NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Flappers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Flappers
    Posted: June-27-2009 at 8:58pm
One of my rubbers broke off my exhaust pipe today. I just spend $40 for two new ones. Are they even necessary? The classic Correct Crafts don't have them. I assume it's a noise control device?

Ken
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 10:41pm
Last time one of my rubbers broke I didn't sleep for a month.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 11:17pm
Ken, I wouldn't think you need them with the type of manifolds that you have. However, many people have them including me. Are yours the ordinary rubber type, but are glued inside the plastic exhaust flange?   
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 12:59am
Someone made a comment one time... The exhaust flappers were for the rare instance (Not sure how) the engine on shutdown could pull exhaust/water backwards thru pipe into engine after dieseling... Smarter people than I.
Bob
1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 9:09am
Yes, mine are the standard rubber type. It seems like they need to be replaced every 3-4 years, which isn't bad.

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense that it may prevent water from being sucked through. I thought it was more for noise damping.

Ken
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 12:45pm
I have also heard they are good for keeping critters from building nests and such in there.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 3:10pm
I've had two boats with them on. Took them both off, never had a problem.
I think it sounds better. I always back into the water slowly when launching!
Good idea on the critters tho. Maybe I'll use them for storage. JIC.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
dt's76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt's76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 10:48pm
My originals broke off and i replaced them. ran one summer with out them no problems. I did get new ones from wholesale marine they are $15 each
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 1:20am
That was a good one Alan and now you have Ken thinking "OH NO"...hehe

To much wine....
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:01am
Seen a "2001" suck water last year. Up until that time I did not think they were needed. They funny thing was he had replacements in the boat, but he had wanted to wait until after his test run. Fortunately, he was still on his traler on the ramp while he was tuning the carb. It ruined his day. Think the $30 dollar assurance would be worth it
...those who have fallen and those who will.
1man1dog1cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1man1dog1cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 1:33pm
Mine have become kind of deformed over time. How do you say they are attached? Glued? I think mine have hose clamps on them, but that could just be on the exhaust where it comes thru the hull.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2009 at 3:10am
My SAN has hoseclamps. I removed them from the Mustang.

Maybe you could try a hoseclamp next time, Alan.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2009 at 10:58am
What is the sound change on vs. off?

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2009 at 4:15pm
Off sounds slightly better, not a lot thou.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2009 at 6:58pm
I did replace them. My luck would be that I'd sink have an engine malfunction. For $40, it's a piece of mind. There had to have been a reason Correct Craft Inc. installed them, right?

Ken
skimzone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 2:20am
I had a rare occurance approx 1 yr ago, customer with a 2001 bought a boat with no flappers. At the ramp he drop the boat in, steep ramp+ fast launch= water in the engine. SALT WATER. He tried to turn it over with the plugs in- hydraulic instead of compression. Rod damage. If he would have pulled the plugs and spun er over- he wouldnt have paid me to rebuild the engine. I say play it safe- dont fool around without rubbers!!!
'78 ski nautique
'01 sport air nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 7:37pm
Joe you kill me LOL...i like your dumb clients stories!!!
I run my boat with out them quite a long time..then I decided to put it again...just as it came from the factory it have to be a good reason...But in boats with the invertaflow I think its very rare that the water could make up that way when going reverse or launchind the boat. The muffler sits very high....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 8:42pm
Joe, yes please more "dumb customer" stories, they kill me, but usually there is nugget in their... The 67 Nautique never had flapper and we have never had a problem, but no way is the water gonna make it through the Eaton marine conversion manifolds thats part of the Interceptor, I think those things are as high as the gunnels...
skimzone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 12:07am
Hey- thier mistakes keep my hobbies floating- regarding flappers- thank god noone has a 1996 and later gm- shut her down from idle 99% chance you will have water in the engine. Designe flaw on the vortech 64cc head. valves over lap=intake/exhaust very briefly open at the same time. Helps with performance and economy- But sucks-literally!!I have rebuilt countless engines due to that flaw- better riser design would fix the problem. a quick low rev prior to ignition kill also can save alot of them too. The exhaust force the water thru the turn down, thus less chance of injestion. They are not dumb customers- Just NO common sense I wont share anymore laughs with you guys=k
'78 ski nautique
'01 sport air nautique
fastjohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 1:19am
Good to know!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic