Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lost spark while running

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
snowalternative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowalternative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost spark while running
    Posted: June-29-2009 at 12:24am
hello all,my '83 2001 sn stalled while running as if key was turned off today. Ive got full battery voltage to pos side of coil w/switch in start as well as run position,the dist has been converted to breakerless w/prestolite kit. If neg wire are pulled loose from coil & coil energized & neg grounded then the circuit to neg side broken coil will fire to block & ohms reading is 2 ohms(no resistor) which leads me to beleive coil is functioning properly. boat has never missed a lick till now,has anyone had many failures w/prestolite conv. kit & can these be chked some how?
cap & rotor look good & coil to cap wire in good shape. anyone have the needed parts to switch back to pts/cond? pts may need more maint but seems they can always be made to work in a pinch & prevent the shameful tow in

thanks for any info
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 1:02am
Snow - I found the Presolite EI module as a service part online (not the whole kit) so that may be cheaper than buying a whole new conversion kit again. You can get a new (but obsolete) Presotolite points dist. for $75 on ebay, but that would be going backwards in my opinion.   I just converted to a Prestolite EI so I hope your failure isn't common!   Maybe I should carry my old dizzy along in the boat!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
snowalternative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowalternative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 9:57pm
thanks for the reply snobsessed,iVe ordered a new complete prestolite dist w/pts & am converting back to old school.Ill keep the converted EI one & repair/replace back to breakerless & probably use the pts unit as backup (i only hope the dist is the problem-all seems proper up to the distributor) The Ei system has worked flawlessly for three years but being towed in for the first time ever in my boating life has me gun shy to say the least. Do you remember the web site you found the module only? i have to go back to prestolite internals because most others seem to use the pts cam to hold the magnet/pickup device & mine is gone

thanks for the input
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic