NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fair Pricing for Correct Crafts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fair Pricing for Correct Crafts
    Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:35pm
Ok, so I have been trying to pull the trigger on a boat of my own for a few years now. Every year I keep putting it off due to my employer's poor performance (= no bonus) or the poor economy. Our dream boat is the SV211, but again I just can't pull together the needed funds (now because the stock market is so down and the boat fund value is severely low). So my wife and I have discussed it and she says we need to lower our expectations and make the jump or we are never going to have a ski boat.

So the good news is I have got the go ahead, so now to find a boat. Obviously, I would like to get a boat with the same feature sets of SV211 for around $12k to $17k. So I missed a 99 Air Nautique in Merton, WI that was loaded up pretty nice - it was listed for $15,750. I have also talked to the guy over in OH, with that 00 Air Nautique on this site listed for $14,500 - he sent me pictures of the interior and it is pretty rough. I have some more questions out to him, so I am waiting to hear what he says about that, but thats an 8 hour drive one way and a lot of work to get it back together.

I found a 98 Sport for sale locally with all the goodies - its the perfect boat for the family (trying to be vague, cause its not well advertised and I don't want someone to buy it out from under me). He has it listed for $19,500 and doesn't seem willing to move on the price. With the exception of a couple of 99 Air's, one in Angola, IN and one in IL that are priced in the low $20k's (which I think are ridiculous prices) it seems most of these boats of that vintage seem to be going in the $15k range.

I'd really like to be boat #52 for GL09! So my questions, whats a fair price?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:38pm
Oh yeah forgot to add, the 98 Sport with all the goodies, shows an average retail of $14,900 on the Nada site. This boat is probably better the average, but I don't believe that is almost a $5k adder!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:42pm
Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

You could wait years,
I think its best to make an offer and move on.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:48pm
19.5 is on the high end for a 99 sport. You can find VDrive Super sports in that range,and the Vdrives are more desirable in this marketplace.

In your position, I would be looking for a boat which is a good deal, so that you can use it and still get all or most of your money out of it. You can save a few thousand, sell, and buy a more expensive boat. You might do it two or three times till you ultimately have what you want. But, you and your kids will not be losing summers on the water.

My $.02

Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 2:56pm
or start checking the auction houses, crankyape.com, boatliquidators and so on...a ton of these boats have been repocessed...and are sitting waiting for buyers...if you search the right corners you will find them, this is true if i had an extra 100k i could come up with 10 boats....its knowing where to look for them. my .03
"the things you own will start to own you"
dsla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 3:19pm
I'm not sure where you are located, but I have seen this boat up close, and it is very clean. It is in the Portland, OR area.
95 Super Sport

I haven't seen this one, but saw it while trying to find the link above.
99 Pro Air
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 5:08pm
Steve, I just went through the same process and know of others in the throws of indecision. I could write volumes, but I'll try to be brief.

It is a good time to buy a boat. SELL prices are down (20% from last year in my armchair opinion), but many sellers are still partying like its 2007. I've noticed that the boats that have sold, do it at a price that stings, often leaving the previous owners upside down on their loan.

When negotiating in person or via phone or email, I've found time to be the best tool. This flies in the face of you wanting to bring a boat to GL. However, in the beginning, sellers are excited and deaf to reason due to the initial flurry of emails or calls to their CraigsList ads. Time eventually proves most or all of them are tire kickers. A week or two of quiet time opens the seller to reconsider offers from the few buyers who are serious.

I think you are in an even better buying position than I was because you are looking for a direct drive (I bought a v-drive). Like BKH mentioned, probably even fewer buyers.

Lastly, look for the best boat you can find. Don't be afraid to shoot over your budget and see if you can negotiate back down. Never confuse asking price with actual value. SELL price is what reflects actual market value. Work that deal until you get to an agreement or dead end. Then go to the next one. There will always be a next one.

Sorry, not so brief after all...
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 5:32pm
Steve,
drop me an email. I have the perfect boat for you here in IL....
d.dorsen@worldnet.att.net

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 10:45pm
95 Super Sport with FCT tower $17.9

99 Super Sport $18K

99 Super Air $17K

Also a nice 95 Super Sport on planetnautique for 17.5

I was just looking at Vdrives because you said you're ultimate boat is a 211. Lot of good boats out there at or near your price range.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 10:58pm
Thanks everybody for the help. I will continue the search. I like the 211 because of the hydrogate. I need to try and minimize the wake when the kids ski, but looking for ways to grow it when the inevitable desire to wakeboard arrives. So, if I don't have gate control, I think I need to look for a direct drive.

Also thanks for the reminder that patience pays off. Have to keep remembering that. Time will be at my advantage if I can remember that, My family may need to bum some rides for GL09, no room for all those people in the old 64...

If you see any others let me know, and I will keep you up to date with what I find. Thanks again everyone!!!!

Steve
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:04am
Steve,
You could surprise (maybe shock would be a better word?)your dad with a tower on his 64!

Man, I can hardly wait to see that at GL!
Good luck on your search..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:18am
LOL!!! I am not sure who would be more shocked my Dad or "Keep it Original" Peter...    
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:10pm
Alright, I know this is going to seem really fast but I found one last night and now am (FINALLY) a Nautique owner after spending the better part of 2 years looking for the right boat. I found this (don't know how I missed it) and we struck a deal this AM.

I am very happy with the price I got it at too. I am also weighing a couple of tower options, so that will likely be the first addition.

Thanks for all your help! And of course since the Correct Craft I am most familiar with is a 64 Ski Nautique, I am sure there are going to be TONS of questions...

Steve
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:15pm
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:41pm
LOL! Tuna tower, not exactly what I was thinking, but hey why not set up the Sport for Great Lakes Salmon fishing!!!

I know, I am still a skier at heart, but have your tried out the wakeboarding thing, its a blast! Plus, I have an 11, 9 and 6 year old, undoubtedly one of those is going to want to wakeboard and the whole point of the boat is to keep the family together for fun times on the weekend! So rather have the tower on my boat and then all the kids want to go with us - thats my fuzzy logic anyway

Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:43pm
Very nice looking boat.

Apparently Tom doesn't care much for towers. I'm sitll not a fan of the way they look, but for functionality, I will definitely have on on my boats.

Newdimensiontowers.com. Replica of the CC FCT, and I believe the best option out there. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic