NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 12>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 7:24am
Yes, I see your point on possible weakness around the cradle any extra supports will help...the original would have used the foam as the support cut back to form the shape, and then glassed over with the rest of the floor...some have done the same on their rebuilds and others have added supports it’s up to you...myself I made a simple mould and laid up a pair of stop ended Z section that sat over the top of the stringer and up onto the glass floor, yours will be more of a pain with the dip for engine mount bolts.
The big thing you have over the factory is time ,ceps ,epoxy, so it will outlast most of us.   

Link to the CCF 81
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 9:07pm
Finished tabbing in the primaries and secondaries this week 2/4/8. Waiting on the biaxial to cap them, which will arrive from US Composites on Tuesday. In the meantime I have started cutting all the ribs. Hoping to finish them within a few days and CPES them along with the bulkheads so that I can be in bedding and tabbing them in as well.

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 12:12pm
Make sure you leave a little gap to make up for the biax that you will put down on the stringers or you will have to recut and re CPES those support ribs!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 10:32am

thanks, HatterBee. Yes, I did do so.

Cut most of the Ribs, bulkheads, transom plates, battery box collar ring, and doghouse stringers. I put several coats of CPES on everything I have cut so far. I am traveling this week so I probably will not get much done until the weekend.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 12:49pm
Close to wrapping up the rear part of the stringer/rib installation. I still have some touch-up and detail work to do but will try to do that while I concentrate mostly on the bow area. I have also decided to pull the scags off the hull and pull the drive shaft, so I can finish grinding the gel-coat out of the center of the hull, something I was not going to do originally. I was planning on leaving the rudder support plate as well since it appeared to be okay; there were no visible breaches in the gel-coat, but then I decided to probe it to investigate; it was soaking wet!, even though the boat has been out of the water and in the garage for several years! I ground that out and glassed in a new plate. When I removed it the nuts on the mounting bolts were loose and I was able to spin them with only by fingers! I am going to fair the bilge area out nicely since next summer is a long way off. My fairing supplies arrive today from Jamestown.

I have also ordered an engine stand from Amazon and intend on breaking the Velvet drive loose and mounting the engine to the stand this weekend so that I can begin taking off all the exterior components to clean and repaint or powder-coat, which has always been my plan. I expect to replace all the exterior seals and gaskets and repaint all. I am thinking about using the Por-15 system. Has anyone used it in the past? Time to start ordering new seals, gaskets, packing, impellers, bilge pumps, blowers, etc.

Did I mention that I hate grinding gel-coat: and that using heavy biaxial glass separates the men from the boys?

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 1:51pm
I am using 3" PVC waste pipe for the bilge ventilation conduits, and 4" PVC waste pipe for the steering cable/control cables/bilge pump pipe/wiring conduit.

Here are a couple of pictures of the original water pipe CC used during the original construction for the conduit to carry the steering cable, etc. It was simply a pipe of low cost ABS type water pipe that they slit longways and probably snapped over the cable(s). Where the conduit turned up toward the helm they simply cut it and overlapped it and secured the joint with masking tape! I cant imagine they would have though this was a good method to build a top-quality tow boat. I feel like this construction method led, along with the failure of the battery box drain hose breach and the dryer-vent hose used for ventilation breaches, to the introduction of water into the foamed areas and resulted in the failure of the stringers and floor. Probably back in 1981, a little over $50-$100 worth of additional supplies and labor would have prevented water introduction into the stringers and floor of this particular boat.

And for good measure they dumped some Gel-coat into the water pipe from above.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 11:24am
I made some progress this past weekend. Got the conduits cut to length, but not glued yet; a couple of the pieces will need to be heat-formed for a better fit.

I also pulled the motor out of my storage place and got it mounted on my engine stand so that I could begin removing all the bolt-on components that I plan on cleaning up and repainting. Next weekend I will drain the engine and pull the oil pan and replace the oil pump and install new seals and gaskets.

I only broke 4 of the 8 bolts that connect the risers to the manifolds.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 12:46pm
I was able to do some work on the SN this weekend; wish it would have been more.

I got all the PVC glued together and installed. Really happy about that. I also made patterns for the front flooring which I am fabricating out of 3/4 marine plywood. I am doing some additional work on the battery box to strengthen it before I am ready to place it and connect it to the respective drain and battery cable conduits. it was simply stapled into the existing 3/4 floor boards from the factory and the joint was only thickly gel-coated; no fiberglass mat of any flavor that I could tell. A huge water entry point into the foam below with no exit point.

I have cut a 3/4 marine plywood donut that I am glassing around the box to strengthen it and to help hold its shape. As I look at other rebuilds on this site I see that CC improved their boxes in subsequent years.

One of the problems with my existing box is that the battery box lid/cover is a different shape/size than the actual box. I would like to change it to make it the actual size of the box, but the bright metal (non-stainless) t-trim that is screwed to the existing lid is no longer available so I will need to reuse it, forcing me to make it the original size. I know that some have pointed folks to a supplier that offers a similar trim, but it is not the actual product dimensions and I have decided to try to reuse the existing part. I considered purchasing a new waterproof hatch cover from a supplier,which would be really nice, but when reviewing the pictures I took during the demolition stage on my boat I realized the observer seat support legs actually rest on the lid of the battery box cover when it is folded back into the resting position. I don't think the hatch cover I looked at could support that much concentrated weight.

Here is a picture of the floor section. It still needs the battery box access cut out and the cutout of the area where the pylon/cradle go. I am re-welding the cradle and strengthening it. It had some broken welds and I have also cleaned it up, removing all the crud from the last 33 years.

I am applying biaxial to both sides before installation.

I also got my new cutlass strut bearing and installed it.

And I have been systamatically been cleaning and repainting the bolt on components. I am going with metallic blue for the engine block, bell housing and Velvet Drive, and black on most of the bolt on components. I also removed the fins and drain port, since I already had the strut and rudder off. I am cleaning those items up as well and look forward to sealing them well during reinstallation.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 4:22pm
Here is a picture from before I started taking it apart. You can see the impression in the carpet where the observers seat supports actually crossed over the battery box. You can also see the trim around the lid that captured the lip of the floor and also contained the carpet on the lid. I was hoping for a good alternative such as a nice hatch cover, but most of the ones I have researched are pretty weak compared to the plywood that was original, even when it was deteriorated.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 1:00pm
When I pulled my engine out of storage a few weeks back I mounted it on an engine stand, thus freeing up the cradle. At that time I noticed several of the welds were broken on the cradle. I assume they may have been broken before I removed it from the boat and just didn't notice. There have been many times when we would pull up 3 barefooters from the deep-water start position with this Nautique and I wanted to make sure the integrity of the cradle/pylon are strong going forward.

I ground out the bad welds and while doing so decided to cut the entire cradle apart and strengthen it with the addition of the 1/2 end plates where the channel was welded to the angle.

When I placed it and the pylon in the boat for a trial it it was a tight fit between the stringers, but no beating or prying was required, and the pylon was really a close tolerance but I finally got it in without any grinding or heavy manipulation. I will clean it up one more time, clear coat it and lay it aside now that I know it is good to go. It is obviously a good feeling when you have spent a lot of time and money on a project like this and the moment of truth happens (placing the cradle back in)and it goes well!!

Looking forward to making the final cuts on the flooring so that I can begin foaming the forward areas.

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 7:19pm
Wow wish my welding could be that clean nice work!!
'82 Ski Tique
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 2:55pm
Thanks, gR@HaM. I was out of town all of last week and did not get anything accomplished on the SN. I plan on beginning the foaming process this week as time allows. I am using US Composites 2lb for the area under the bow and seating front area and 4lb for the starboard and port sections along the engine toward the rear. Hoping that 6 gallons total will do it.

In the meantime I am going to pull out the plywood section shown in the picture so that I can wrap the exterior edges and the battery box penetration edges with fiberglass cloth or mat before I install it permanently with thickened epoxy. Still debating on the need to screw it to the stringers but leaning toward doing so. It already has one layer of bi-axial on each side.

I still need to fabricate a piece of flooring to cover the pylon mount; thinking about Starboard for that and the battery box lid so that I will not need to spend the effort protecting the edges. I think it will work since those pieces are removable - not glassed in. I am also going to glass in additional blocking under the areas where the seating mounts attach to the floor for additional strength and mass; I have those areas marked with a Sharpie in the picture below.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 4:56pm
Wait, so after all the trouble you went through to add the ribs, you're still going with foam? Seems one or the other are both fine approaches (though I am an anti-foam guy myself, generally speaking)... Not sure why you'd use both?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 5:12pm
Indeed for the love of god foam, or ribs and a plywood floor, not both!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 6:19pm
Yeah, the foam debate is always going to be with us. So, since you have questioned my intent, I will respond with my thoughts. I am not convinced that the remaining foam under the front and rear top decks is sufficient to meet the USCG floatation requirements alone, although I don't know of anyone actually doing an official test. I admit I don't know for sure. If anyone can point me toward that data, please do so. Without the data, ones opinion is just that.

Yes, the effort and cost to install ribs is significant, I was obviously willing to make the investment. I see the ribs mostly as strengthening the hull, but they also will be a great aid when refoaming. I was also not interested in raising the height of the floor, and thus raising the height of the engine cover and the height of the rear seat. Raising the engine cover means the ski rope is closer to the cover unless another adjustment is made in the pylon. The rear seat also sits higher and means another adjustment when reupholstering. Those height adjustments may seem
insignificant, but they are real and also require further efforts.

I am really happy with my decision, thanks for sharing your opinion.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 6:35pm
It' s not really a question of the foam debate so much - I'll claim credit/disgrace for being the original guy to throw ribs into a correct craft - when I designed/engineered it I was specifically trying to not use foam. I had seen (bought) a cc with an epoxy coated floor installed and then refoamed it was terrible to say the least. Foam next to wood is bad, sometimes a necessary evil but it is bad. If you must foam that boat do yourself a favor and don't put a plywood floor anywhere you don't need it to screw a seat into - either you or a future owner will likely regret it, and with 4 lb foam you don't need it.

Edit... upon reexamination it sounds like you are not going to use a plywood floor in the back just refoam and glass.. well that's better anyway. For future concerns of documenting best practices.. those ribs in the back will do nothing positive for the structure of a foamed boat. Under normal loading they will not add any strength to the system and under extreme loading (beaching,log, etc) they will be an unwanted stress concentration that will likely result in a hull tear. But that is unlikely, so likely they are no more than waste of time and money. Doing the floor under the seating area in plywood that will have foam under it is about worst case scenario. If I was going to foam and use wood the 1x6 ish douglas fir or something similar will always last longer than plywood where the water tends to wick up the layers. Be very careful to cpes and seal all the screw holes you make. -not trying to bust your balls here, you are doing spectacular quality work and will have a boat many times better than factory. But some things aren't a debate, they are facts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2014 at 10:56pm
I was traveling all week, so today was the first day I worked on the SN. Got the foam poured in most of the cavities, just some touch up and fairing and I will be able to start glassing. Got the air box shaped up as well.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 7:17pm
Fairing surface imperfections. I really like the Total Fair from Jamestown.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 12:42am
Holy Crap!!!!

June 2009 until October 2014.

But looks like you are just doing an awesome job. You sure are gonna enjoy this.

Semi thread jack...going to Haiti in Novenber for my 1st 'outa the country' mission trip. Scared & excited all at the same time. Been a busy few years for you!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:12am
Hi John,
I have been to Haiti dozens of times; you too will enjoy your time they and come back with a new perspective on just about everything. Immediately after the Haiti quake I moved there for the first 100 days to set up operations. The PAP airport was closed so we flew into The DR and crossed the border into Haiti in the middle of the night, scary for even me. I have responded to 5 major events there, but also go for non-disaster related ministry. Part of the reason that this SN rebuild got off to a slow start is because of Haiti and Sandy, both all consuming. Just remember that your purpose there is people, not projects, and you will do just fine.

Every day in Haiti is a hard day, but it's hard for the Haitians too. Sometimes we get sick when we go there, but Haitians get sick too. I got dengue fever during the quake response; that was hard to shake. So hard to believe that PAP is just 1.5 hours from Florida and the country is still about 1 level above Stone Age.

Fortunately we have not seen a major hurricane this year, therefore I have been able to spend more time on the boat, although we are still active at 8 locations in 6 states at the moment. I hope to finish the glass work within the next few weeks and move on to the engine.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2014 at 10:54pm
I was out of town most of the week and did not work much on the SN. I did manage to get 3 layers of glass on most all of the floor areas. Still a lot of detail to do, although. A major accomplishment is making good progress on the air box under the bow. It will be a good day when I crawl out from under the front deck for the last time. This boat had removable 3/4" boards, covered in carpet, screwed to the side and front foot-rest of the air box. Although it looked nice, the screws penetrated the fiberglass skin of the air box. I could not say for sure that water entered the interior though the penetrations, but I am thinking about simply applying carpet directly to the air box without the 3/4" boards. Any opinions?

I am thinking about using Jamestown TotalBilge epoxy paint to cover the under-bow glass work as well as the bilge and battery box. I ordered a quart to experiment with.

I also cut the removable rear floor section this afternoon and applied 1 layer of biaxial on it. I am thinking that it is going to sit a tad low in relation to the rest of the rear floor and I will need to either add more glass to the tops of the primaries or additional glass on the bottom of the removable section.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2014 at 11:09pm
Arklie,
Nice work. You're almost there. Keep going!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 12:33am
Another semi-productive day Got delayed this morning when I offered to replace the battery in my mother's Dodge Stratus. Didn't realize I needed to jack the car up and remove the drivers side front tire and inner-fender to get to the battery. By the time I finished all of that and cleaned my gutters out, raked the leaves and mowed the grass it was already 3:00.

I did get the supports cut out and fitted for the ski storage tray. I will pull them out tomorrow afternoon and CPES them and start covering them with glass before reinstalling them with thickened epoxy.

I also subjected myself to the torture of cleaning the inside and outside of the fuel cell with muriatic acid. Wow, don't ever want to do that again. Clean as a whistle now! I replaced the sending unit with a new one and cleaned the elbow and check-valve. Should be ready to reinstall when the time comes.

I also got a piece of composite Trex and ripped it into to narrower pieces to mount the fuel cell on. I think it is going to work well, although a little thick. I may need to slot it out where it fastens to the primary stringers. As it is now it is a little tight on the suspended bilge blower. I am planning on tossing the existing blower anyway and mounting my 2 new blowers under the tank.

I still plan on putting one more layer of biaxial on the removable rear floor section, a total of 3 on top and 1 on the underside. Then it's on to fairing the bilge.
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 4:59pm
[QUOTE=Watauga] I was out of town most of the week and did not work much on the SN. I did manage to get 3 layers of glass on most all of the floor areas. Still a lot of detail to do, although. A major accomplishment is making good progress on the air box under the bow. It will be a good day when I crawl out from under the front deck for the last time. This boat had removable 3/4" boards, covered in carpet, screwed to the side and front foot-rest of the air box. Although it looked nice, the screws penetrated the fiberglass skin of the air box. I could not say for sure that water entered the interior though the penetrations, but I am thinking about simply applying carpet directly to the air box without the 3/4" boards. Any opinions?

I epoxied some pieces of fibreglass to the air box to screw the wood pieces too - I didn't want any screws anywhere as that seems to be where water got in......

1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2000/2001 Glen-L 'Squirt'

2006 Malibu LSV
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 1:11pm
Thanks, Chuck. That picture is very helpful. I see the tabs on top of the air-box, but what did you do to secure the bottom? I like that as an option, but I am still not sure of the benefit over just adhering carpet directly to the air-box. The reduction of the weight, although minimal, would also be a benefit.

I had not seen your rebuild thread before, have you made more progress since your last post? The picture of your air-box looks very similar to mine. It is a happy day when one gets out from under to bow! not as significant as the day one finishes the arduous task of grinding, but still a good day.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 1:20pm
I have been making some progress. I dug out my mufflers, just trying to stay ahead on the rebuild.

They were wrapped in three strips of the original floor carpet, held on with zip-ties. I have removed all of that and sanded them down so they could be repainted. Does anyone have a recommendation on priming and painting them? I was simply thinking of Rustoleum primer and paint. Will that work okay, or do they need gel-coat?

While inspecting them I realized that there was a large hole in the neck of one of them. I drilled it out and will fill it with thickened epoxy and one or two wraps of cloth. Does anyone have better advice?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 2:32pm
When mine rotted out and started leaking I was in a hurry, trying to pack and get away for a long waterski weekend, a muffler shop sold me 3" stainless pipe, it was louder for sure but worked.
Very nice work by the way, you are committed. I hope it hits the water again this year.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

When mine rotted out and started leaking I was in a hurry, a muffler shop sold me 3" stainless pipe, it was louder for sure but worked.

Many have replaced their mufflers with straight pipe. It's certainly a good option. If you go this route, be aware that muffler shops typically use 400 series stainless. It's not a good choice for material. It will rust with time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 6:49pm
I did read that copper was the material I needed but at the time Stainless was available and we had a weekend to salvage. We sold the boat 500 hours and 4 years later, it was still working. I agree the muffler shop version was not ideal or the best fix.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 7:04pm
If you add cloth or a mat wrap you may just then have trouble getting the hose on. I would just countersink the hole and fill with thickened resin and sand smooth. When the exhaust hose goes back on just make sure it extends back over the hole covering it,the clamp will take care of the rest. Pete likes to modify boats changing them completely from what Correct Craft intended,I personally would keep the exhaust original.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 12>
  Share Topic