Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
Author
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The wheels aren't my taste....

TRBenj, I agree, maybe after I recover from the overall restoration I can find some affordable wheels that show a little better.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 2:10pm
Dub Deuces with spinners?? Curb Feelers??

Everything is looking Great, very nice work!!
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 6:21pm
Cold and rainy day here in the mountains; had a hard time getting started today and ran out of steam early. I did get the marine plywood cut and edge routed to replace the wood in the observers and drivers seats. Got one coat of CPES on both sides and all edges. I was thinking about Starboard instead of the marine ply until I checked the price. I think Starboard is better, but I already had enough plywood here in my way along with the CPES, resin and biaxial. Trying to get all the upholstery prep work done so that I can be ready to order the skins.

If you look closely you can see the 351w mounted on the engine stand waiting patiently for some attention.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 6:54pm
Not sure who you're using for skins, but if you're planning to go original (Christine's did the diamond pleating on my '80 after I asked real nice) then you may want to order sooner than later- there's usually a few month backlog.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 7:29pm
TRBenj,
I have already been in touch with Christines and will probably go with them. Ouch! The local shop that redid this boat about 20 years ago did a good job on it without cutting too many corners, but she went through a nasty divorce and closed shop a long time ago.

I am pretty sure my foam is all reusable except maybe the coaming pad foam, but not because of deterioration. The original coaming pad backer boards never fit perfectly so I remade them without considering the originals as a template.

Christines charges an additional $250 for diamond pleating, or $100 for stripes. That being the case, this boat would cost over $1,700 for the complete interior including the coaming pads.

The water warms enough around here to begin skiing early in May on good days. My goal is to have this boat ready by then, therefore I need to get the skins ordered soon, I agree.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 10:07pm
Turning the corner here and moving to the engine work. I was planning only on replacing the exterior seals and gaskets, and the timing chain and gears, but it looks like i have opened the proverbial can of worms.

I started by draining the oil for 24 hours. When I removed the oil pan there was around 1" of slude in the sump. I removed the oil pickup and pump, then moved to the timing chain cover. Here is a picture of the chain and gears and they are in the shape I expected. I am surprised the chain did not jump off the gears. This engine has 1,200 hours and was running fine.

When I removed the carborator I saw rust inside of the manifold. The boat has been stored inside so I assume the rust was caused by condensation perhaps. I decided to remove the intake to get a better look and happy to see the rust was contained in the intake, the deck, pushrods, lifter, rockers look good. The pistons and bores look good from below, but I haven't removed the heads yet for a better inspection.

I guess I need to go ahead and pull the heads and send everything to the local shop to get inspected, or do you motor heads suggest I totally disassemble it before taking it in for inspection. Do you have a suggestion on a particular Summit rebuild kit?
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 11:29pm
Made a quick trip to my friend's machine shop this evening. He told me to disassemble it and bring it in.

I got a pretty good amount of it disassembled tonight; pretty much everything except the valves. I think it looks pretty good inside overall. I broke one compression ring when I got a little careless. The bearings, crank, cam, lifters, and pistons look amazingly good. I am going to rustle up a valve spring compressor tomorrow evening so I can disassemble the heads, remove some journal plugs and hopefully get the components to the machine shop on Wednesday, if everything goes well. My friend is going to advise me on which rebuild kit to purchase.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2015 at 2:55pm
I did my final cleaning yesterday and dropped everything off at the machine shop early this morning. There wasn't anything nice about removing the rubberized coating on the oil pan. After taking a quick look they advised boring 30 over and a new cam as well. I suspected the new cam requirement but was a little surprised in the boring.

Here are a few questions for the GP motor heads.
Is the Melling 24209 the correct cam for the 351w RR engine? Summit Cam

Is this the correct lifter? Summit Lifter

And finally, I assume I will not be able to determine the correct pushrod length until reassembly?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2015 at 7:34pm
Correct on the pushrods but they might be reusable anyway, they won't be skimming the heads and block that much, but it will be best to check . See if you can get Tom Monroe' s book on rebuilding your small block Ford
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 2:58pm
Arklie,
Very nice build very informative and detailed. Boat is looking good and getting close to being ready for the water. I hope to see you this year on Watauga lake , it's our primary lake.I live close and would be glad to assist or be a go-fer if you need an apprentice. I have picked up several things just from reading this build. I think I will need to do some extra polishing to be the best looking 2001 on the lake this year. I have the name of a local upholster if you need one.(Nice signature)
Watuugasn84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 3:07pm
What do you think!     All original just cleaned and buffed out. Restored trailer, and due to a hail storm I am having new interior installed this winter.
Watuugasn84
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 2:42pm
That's a nice ride, Doug! I always liked that color combo. You can usually find me at Fish Springs Marina, where we keep our boats, or in the Cove Ridge area, where we hang out while out on the water.

My family have always been Watauga lake rats; pretty much grew up on Watauga including working on the lake for almost 10 years. I think that Watauga is going to suffer from more pressure this coming summer because of the issue over at Boone Lake. Unofficially I have heard that Boone will remain at a lower level this year which will result in more folks coming over to Watauga. If that happens I will concentrate on more week-nights and sunrise Saturdays for footin' and skiing on Watauga.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:30pm
Arklie,
Fill me in. What's the issue with the water level on Boone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 3:46pm
We have a trip to Watauga penciled in around the end of June to visit family down there. They have a house on the water by Lakeshore Marina. Beautiful lake and area there, looking forward to it.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 4:28pm
Hey, Pete.
Late last fall the TVA acknowledged they were losing water out of Boone by way of leak with the loss reentering the river downstream from the dam. They have thrown a lot of resources around trying to figure out the cause of the loss. They began drawing the lake down at that time, earlier and lower than a normal winter draw-down. I have been out of town for the last 10 days and haven't checked the news sources since I left, but the last story I saw a couple of weeks ago stated the TVA was making no promises relative to summer levels.

I do know the marinas at Watauga have fielded many requests for slip rentals and they are expected to be completely full this summer.

One cam dpo a quick Google search and find lots of stories about the trouble.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 5:02pm
Arklie,
Hope to see you this year we usually put in at Rat Branch and hang out in the cove near Cove ridge or the cove by Butler campground. I have heard from a good source that Boone will be down this entire year and possibly 2016. TVA is not sure how to fix the sinkhole at area near the dam and still determining best way to fix it. It will definitely be more crowded on Watauga this year.
Watuugasn84
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 4:17pm
Doug,
Just drop in at Fish Springs and ask the folks at the dock if we are around, they will point you over to our slips. Yes, best skiing is Cove Ridge or Cobbs Creek (the area near Butler Campground you mentioned). That is unless you make a run up to the headwaters. A group of my friends and I had a tournament 6-buoy course that we had deployed in Cove Ridge for many years, but adjacent land-owners made a lot of complaints to the TWRA and it became such a hassle that we finally gave up. Contributing factors included fishermen who thought they could tie-up to the buoys and the knuckleheaded PWC drivers who thought it was there for them. The final straw for me was lack of interest in removing it during late fall. Lots of enthusiasm by my group in the early spring getting it deployed, but my best friends suddenly would quit answering their phones and get real interested in SEC football when the blue snow would start to fly and the TWRA / Army Corp of Engineers / TVA required us to take it out at the end of each season.

Hope to see there!
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 4:32pm
One thing about having friends help you on engine machine work is the time it takes for their "help" to actually materialize! I have been promised that I can pick up my block this Thursday, hopefully that is true.

In the meantime I have finished cleaning up my seat brackets after the acid-wash. and preparing the seats for the new upholstery. I pretty much have them ready, all new stainless hardware, cleaning and repainting the slides on the drivers seat, etc.

I also reinstalled the boarding platform. I cleaned it with Starbright and so far have applied 6 coats of Golden Teak oil, top and bottom. I think I may need to apply a few more before it is ready for the lake. I cleaned up the stainless brackets, used new stainless hardware, and used 4200 on the penetrations when I installed it. Me installing it by myself was quite comical.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2015 at 11:20am
I have also been replacing the warning decals on the dash and I ordered new toggle-switch name plate rings. Got these on eBay for $14.00 including shipping. Thy are pretty high-quality bright aluminum and the graphic is reverse screen printed so that the lettering is the bright aluminum and the black is the ink. The reverse side has pressure sensitive adhesive to insure they will not spin after installation.

malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 3:15pm
I have not checked on you in a while. You are making nice progress. The flowers will be blooming soon tho. Keep up the good work.

Clark
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 3:32pm
Nice! I have some originals like that but I wasn't aware those were available on ebay.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 6:56pm
Great progress can't wait to meet you, see ya in spring.
Watuugasn84
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 12:36pm
Picked up my engine block on Friday and got to work on it some over the weekend. Got the pistons, crank, and cam installed in the block. Got the heads assembled and installed. Then temporary attached the v-covers, oil pan and front cover so that I could prime and paint with ceramic paint.

I ran into a problem with the cam gear. I purchased a double-roller gear and chain set from Summit a while back and when I attempted to install them I learned that the cam gear shoulder, i.e., the side that faces the cam, was too short and resulted in the inside face of the gear contacting the cam retainer plate bolts. I compared it to the old gear and the difference is a shade over 20 thousands difference. I am going to contact Summit today and try to figure out the problem. At this point I think it is simply a defect with that particular gear.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 12:51pm
My double roller did that too. I ended up putting a stocker since it isn't hi-po.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 12:57pm
Thanks, Zach. I think I may make a run to the local NAPA store this afternoon and do just that. Still going to call Summit to see what they say.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 8:46pm
I ran into this same problem 30+ years ago on my Sunbeam Tiger's 260 (SBF). I just made a shim to get the sprockets to line up.     Funny that the problem still exists after all this time!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 11:37pm
Here is the solution my machine shop owner friend came up with. I got the set installed tonight and they look to be okay.

Also, I have been looking for a replacement Airguide to replace the original starboard side speedo. The original needed a lot of help, it was pitted and the face was faded. The cost to get it restored was substantial. I found the one below on Ebay last week for $150 or make an offer. I offered $75 and the owner accepted. I really like it. It was original old stock never installed in the original box with all the paperwork. I never liked the chrome original installed next to the Electro Marine Speedo with the black bezel. I first thought the new one was a chrome one that had been molested, but in fact it was black from the factory.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 11:42pm
Great find on that airguide
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 11:35pm
Last night of boat work until next week.

Got the oil pump installed twice - once without the drive shaft and once with it. Also got the timing chain cover and water pump installed, and the intake installed. Been a while, so I had to reacquaint myself with using a clean out tap chucked up in a cordless drill to clean up all the bolt holes. Saved me a lot of time.

The engine had a typical oil drain hose kit that had seen its better days. The hose was cracked, and I considered ordering a new one before dropping by the local hydraulic hose maker. He removed the fittings and fitted them on a new hose. Got new nylon washers for the oil pan fitting at Lowes. The hydraulic hose guy didn't charge me anything and the washers were a couple bucks for a pack of 4. Win! I test fitted the Felpro valve cover and oil pan gaskets before I stopped for the evening.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 10:46am
Progress Progress! I like the black airguide beside the electronic speedo. Speaking of which, could you use any extra electronic speedo parts? We have on on a parts boat I could probably get to you cheaply.

Correlation with the double roller not working? Maybe we were trying to use parts for an 83 and older engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic