NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leeking Oil, bell housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MorganB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeking Oil, bell housing
    Posted: June-30-2009 at 9:32pm
Hi again guys, my boat has sprung a leek this time out of the engine though, i fully cleaned the bilge and waited for it to drip again and it seams to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing (lowest point between what i would call the backing plate and the housing) now had a chat to a mate and he seams to think its would be coming through the crank shaft seal??? sound correct??
so to me it looks like i would have a pull the engine out bell housing and gear box off to get to it, i think i am capable of doing this myself but how to get the new seal in and old one out is where im a little worried, has anyone done this?? have any photos of the seal of the engine without the box,
i just want to see some photos and hear some ideas to get my confidence up to rip onto it.
i own a 2001 SN FYI
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:00am
It sounds like its definately your rear main seal. I just rebuilt my engine over the winter, and put a new seal in. In my opinion, I don't think you will be able to do it with the engine in the boat. I will have to hunt through some pictures of the rear main seal tomorrow to post. I should have a couple.

Is your boat an older Ski Nautique 2001, or is it a model year 2001?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 11:13am
Depending on what type of fluid you have in your transmission, you can check by color with a white paper towel. I mention this because it could also be the tranny input seal and that can be removed without pulling the engine.

Don't use any 'stop leak' type stuff.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:20pm
i had an oil drip at that location and it was originating from the valve cover and dripping all the way down to the bottom of the bell housing. your's still sounds like a RR main...but...anyway...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MorganB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:30pm
cool thanks, the engine is clean all over and the bilge so i can see where its dripping from so i am 99% shore its coming from where i explained rather than anywhere else, also the fluid is rather black not red? i take it the trans would be more a of a red colour?? i was looking through the engine service manual on here it was talking about taking the sump off and accessing it that way?? it thought it would just be seated into the end of the engine??

sorry to clarify its a 1983 2001 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:14am
Last summer I thought I had a leak,turned out the drain hose had come loose,so check the easy things first.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MorganB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 2:32am
haha thats what i 1st suspected but no!!! the bilge is perfectly clean and the boat hasn't moved since i cleaned it so there's a prefect drip spot and flow of oil towards the drain plug! not a huge amount like 2 table spoons
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 1:14pm
We just got fooled doing a RMS for nothing, turned out to be the pan gasket. Something to consider. Have the parts ready when you take it out.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 6:49pm
Hi I just replaced the rear seal at the crankshaft on a 351W. I had the engine out, tranny of, oilpan of, loosened the bolts for the crankshaft only the 4 on the rear removed the rear overlay. Then I took a small screwdriver to push the upper seal out. Pushed the new seal in and replaced the other half of the seal in the overlay. Then I put the hole thing together again. It took around 2 hours to do (2 people and a autoshop)
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 11:36pm
Another place they can leak is where the dipstick goes into the oil pan. The pan has a cut out and there is a cast piece that is riveted to the inside of the pan with a gasket sandwiched between. The gasket dries out/shrinks and there is no way of tightening.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic