NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't idle after 45 minutes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't idle after 45 minutes
    Posted: July-06-2009 at 1:19pm
Any ideas on why this may be happening? My BFN runs great for about 30-45 minutes. Then, for whatever reason, she doesn't want to idle and sometimes won't start. I changed the fuel filter/water separater but saw no difference. Temp runs about 150.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 2:59pm
Tull, I had that problem last year and a carb rebuild solved the problem.
Steve

👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
nick85sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 8:57pm
A friend’s 83 had a similar problem and the choke was the culprit. For what it is worth.
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 12:17am
Last year I had the exact same problem. Ran perfect then would not idle after 45 mins. to an hour of skiing. I tried everything, the carb rebuild was the answer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 1:00am
How much should a carb rebuild cost?
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Tull, I had that problem last year and a carb rebuild solved the problem.
Steve

Steve
Do you know what Holley carb is on your engine?
Thanks,
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 2:49pm
Check the choke, thats an easy fix. How are the cap and rotor? Still got points? Could also be the coil heating up and breaking down.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 12:12am
I have been having the same issue with my 77 Tique. I had the carb rebuilt last year, replaced the cap and rotor, points, and fuel filter. The problem went away and the boat ran great teh remainder of the year. The problem just sarted again over the weekend, I am thinking about replacing the carb. Do you guys agree with this? It is the original carb, and it is gummed up pretty bad. Also, where is the best place to get a Holley replacement? I took the tag off of the carb, Motorcraft D4JL F 6K28.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic