Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PERKO flush kit installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HBnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HBnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PERKO flush kit installation
    Posted: July-07-2009 at 2:38pm
I use my 84 SN primarily in salt water and am going to install the Perko engine flush kit from skidim. Has anyone installed one of these kits with the inlet fitting mounted to the transom? (or mounted somewhere else) Is there any reason why I "wouldn't" want to have the inlet fitting, other than just putting a hole in the boat? It seem to me that fitting makes hooking up the hose very convenient while cleaning the boat, but if there was a "good" reason not to have one I want to know. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated, this site is great and very useful.
Livin' the Life
My 84' 2001
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:00pm
A little off topic, but make sure you plumb it so the transmission cooler gets water. I've seen a previous post where this was not the case and it could have been a costly mistake.
93 Ski Nautique
HBnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HBnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:04pm
Yes, I plan on splicing it in the intake hose, that way its before the filter and gives water the same way when driving the boat in the water.
Livin' the Life
My 84' 2001
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 6:19pm
That was me I got it fixed and placed it before the seperator i do believe I posted pictures. I need new lines anyways hahha.
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 7:48pm
I installed one right on the main intake coming into the boat before the strainer! I wanted it so I could run the engine when doing maintenance. It works pretty well but don't rev the engine over 1500 rpms.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 12:40am
HB,

Just remember to drain the extra line when winterizing.

I love my PERKO Flush, but it does not go thru the hull. I only run in fresh water. I would run the extra line if I was running in Salt Water. JMO.

Donald
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 3:27am
between filter and tranny cooler on mine

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
randy simmons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy simmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2017 at 7:02pm
Anybody got a picture of flush valve installed on a 1980 ski nautique, 351
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2017 at 7:27pm
$8 at Ace Hardeware gets it done. I run sea water only.
Peeps on here call it the Timmy T. Its just some garden hose stuff. The Perko may be worth the $100 simply because you don't have to remember to cap or close the flush hose.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy simmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2017 at 10:38pm
I'm not exactly sure where to put t in my pickup line. Picture of one installed would help a lot. Thank for any help available.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2017 at 11:18pm
Hi Randy. You want to T into the hose that connects the bottom of the boat to the gear cooler.
Other members who can provide links with pictures and more accurate text for your exact application will soon chime in.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 12:12am
Here is mine on a vdrive,it just needs to be before the trans cooler

Here are the parts- I was able to get everything but the T at Home Depot. The T I got at a good Ace hardware.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 8:55am
Randy,
The "Timmy T" is sure the simple way to go and has proven itself with many members who have installed them for running the engine out of the water. .You may notice that there isn't any valve to prevent water from going out the bottom of the hull via the thru hull. Don't worry about it since the RWP will suck what it needs and the engine will get the cooling needed as long as you don't run at high RPM's. One thing to note regarding the Perko, is there are reports of them breaking although it's also reported that Perko did make changes to reinforce them. Go with the simple!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy simmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 2:15pm
Thanks for the help. Will install tonight,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy simmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 5:31pm
Just had someone build one with a plunger that screws onto a water hose. Any good reason not too use this.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by randy simmons randy simmons wrote:

Just had someone build one with a plunger that screws onto a water hose. Any good reason not too use this.

A "Fake-A-Lake"??

Yes there's a reason not to as it may not fit around your thru hull on the hull bottom.

Just go with the Timmy T!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 7:48pm
If you are just running the boat on trailer, there is no need to have the timmy -t installed before tranny cooler (mine isn't). There is no load on tranny when in neutral, so no need to cool it.

I suppose if you are going to run the engine at high RPM for a long period (on trailer), then there is a case for plumbing the T before trans cooler.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 7:51pm
whoops, double post, was trying to edit
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 9:58pm
x2 on the Timmy T. I had the perko flush kit and about all its good for is flushing down the toilet. Timmy T is super reliable, just remember to close the valve!
DW SD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2017 at 12:00am
Hi all-
I posted this on the other N site.
Didn’t know it was already name Timmy Tee !!
Appreciate the help on this site and hope this helps someone else.

Doug

This was my parts list for an all brass solution (except 5’ of high temp heavy duty water hose. Nice thing about this is I can leave the hose in the storage locker and just pull it up, undo the plug and thread in the hose.

Note 2 - All parts are brass, except the thread sealant tape.
Note 3 - The last two items are just to make the male plug for the 5’ hose extension.
Note 4 - in my case, I wanted to be able to thread a garden hose in easier than reaching down in the engine bay. I added a 5' high temp garden hose extension from McMaster and routed that behind the seat in to the starboard rear locker. When I'm ready to flush, I pull that hose up and out and attach the garden hose fresh water feed. That was another $18. This effectively makes the T 5' longer. :-)
Note 5 - there is no need for low pressure regulator, etc. I've had this setup on two boats now and it works great. I like brass vs. plastic. Less likely to crack at an inopportune time and starve the engine of cooling water.
1     70815T44     Brass Garden Hose to Pipe Swivel Fitting, 3/4" GHT Female X 3/4 NPT Female, Packs of 2     1
Pack     1     0     10.28
Per Pack     10.28
2     50785K283     Medium-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 3/4 Pipe Size, Female X Male X Female Tee with Thread Sealant     1
Each     1     0     20.17
Each     20.17
3     5346K69     Brass Barbed Hose Fitting, 1" Hose ID, 3/4 NPTF Male End, Packs of 2     1
Pack     1     0     12.23
Per Pack     12.23
4     6802K11     Military Grade Pipe Thread Sealant Tape, 14 yd L X 1/2" W, .0032" Thick, 0.7 G/CC Density     1
Each     1     0     2.24
Each     2.24
5     73605T93     Brass Garden Hose to Pipe Rigid Fitting, 3/4" GHT Male X 3/4 NPT Female, Packs of 1     1
Pack     1     0     4.46
Per Pack     4.46
6     50785K521     Medium-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 3/4 Pipe Size, Hollow Hex-Head Plug     1
Each     1     0     4.90
Each     4.90
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic