Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
southwind83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission
    Posted: July-08-2009 at 12:55am
I was cruising across the lake about 40 mph and lost everything all at once. I had tranny fluid in the bilge. Pulled the tranny and had blown the front seal. Changed it and it ran fine. But it happened again this weekend. After reading some posts I see that it is probably the pump. My question is do I have to align the motor if I pull the tranny. If so how do I do this?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 8:30am
yes, and you need to tear apart the trans and get the pump "metal" out of there
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 3:24pm
How far into the transmission do I need to tear? What gaskets will I need? I rebuilt it the summer before last.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by southwind83 southwind83 wrote:

How far into the transmission do I need to tear? What gaskets will I need? I rebuilt it the summer before last.

there you go
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:12pm
I will be sure to let you rebuild mine.........A proper rebuild will require total tear down, check all parts replace any thing suspect. New springs, plates, seals ,O rings on reassembly with the correct clearances and they will live for a 1000 hrs.If you did all the above and it died a short death, something amiss....
Sounds like you need to pull it and send Eric a package........
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:30pm
Jimmy,
The guys are trying to tell you that a trans rebuild can get complicated and has lots of idiosyncrasies requiring a pro at times. What did your "rebuild" consist of two years ago? You've got to understand it should last more that two years. I too recommend sending it to Eric. I wouldn't even do one of mine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 1:27am
I Feel confident in my rebuild. I replaced everything during the rebuild except the pump. Eric according to one of your previous posts the pump is why I keep losing my front seal. In your comment on my post you said I need to tear apart the transmission and get the metal out. Do you mean that it needs to be rebuilt again or just split apart and clean the case out? It was operating very smooth but it blew the seal when it was running at 40 mph for an extended period. I replaced the seal and it operated great again until it blew the seal under the same circumstances. If I don't need to replace everything what do I need to replace besides the pump during the tear down?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 9:36am
usually the metal will go into the reverse piston cavity and will go into the forward cylinder and be slung to the seal area from the force. its a closed system, it needs to be completey dis-assembled and cleaned, then decide what you need....remember, there is a heat exchanger (cooler) in the closed system too and the metal will also gather in the cooler too. it really is fine metal and acts like a valve lapping coumpond inside the trans, it causes early failures. you may want to consider re-aligning your damper plate also just to be safe, if the front needle bearing is pushed against the inner pump gear it is a good indication of input shaft side load, allowing the bearing to walk and pre-load the pump gear.
there are alot of cavities in these tranny's that hide metal, I have a re-circ tank, like big dishwasher...in fact I knew a good ole boy a few years back that actually rebuilt tranny's in his kitchen and did use his dishwasher to clean parts, true story,
but key here that often gets overlooked is cleanliness. Doctors scrubb up for a reason, point made I guess, is that registered Doc? transmission Doc. lol good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 9:39am
BTW, you also can experience input shaft side load from a mis-aligned back end too, it cocks the planet and transmits it to the input shaft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 9:44am
Jimmy,
Being blunt here, I have too say confidence in your rebuild isn't the greatest since it only lasted two years. So, asking again, what did your rebuild consist of?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic