Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where’s the ballast resistor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where’s the ballast resistor?
    Posted: April-11-2005 at 7:32pm
I just converted my 83 SN (351 Commander Engine) from points to electronic ignition. The instructions said if there is a resistor wire or ballast resistor to by pass it. In the PCM Service Manaual in the Reference Section, it shows the ballast resistor on a plate at the back of the engine, next to the starter relay and the voltage regulator. All I have there is the relay and what I think is the voltage regulator -- thin rectangular box, about six wires going to it, "Motorola" written on it the box.   Does anyone know where else I should look on the Commander engine? Did they not use an external resistor?
By the way, the boat runs like crap now. It won't idle below 1000 rpms without stalling, especialy under load. I adjusted the timing to 10 BTC (should be 6 - but it dies at less than 10) and it runs a little better. At 3000 rpm, it advances to >30 BTC). I ordered a new coil for electronic ignition and I'm hoping this fixes it.
I replaced the distributor and rotor when I convered to electronic ignition and I'm changing plugs soon. I've got other problems--exhaust leak, carb gasket needs replacing but they were bad before the conversion.   I'm betting it's the wrong coil for the conversion or the tired old thing wasn't as noticable with points. The points were worn down to nothing and there was a lot of orange dust (rust?) in the distrubutor bowl. Any other ideas?
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 2:31am
I've had a Pertronix Ignitor and now have a Unilite distributor in my 78 Nautique and both have a current requirement via the ballast or resistance wire to the coil. One wire to the distributor module ( in both cases the negative terminal ) must not see to much current.

I use a MSD Blaster 2 coil which has .7 ohms internal resistance and I run a .8 ohm ballast resistor to make 1.5 ohms - resistor and coil combined. Points need a ballast or resistance wire or a coil with 2 to 3 ohms resistance in it so the points don't burn to quickly.

The timing sounds about right, 10 BTDC and around 30 degrees at 3000 rpm, I'd be happy with that. Check the directions for the type of electronic ignition you have for the resistance it needs, I can't think of something else from just changing the distributor if the timing is correct - except the carb gasket and if you use a PVC spacer under the carb make sure you get a gasket the covers the whole spacer or here come a vacuum leak, bad idle and maybe running hotter than usual.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 11:30am
The resistor should be somewhere between the coil and the starter relay and voltage regulator. Mine had one that was a ceramic rectangle with a coil wire in the middle. If it runs but doesn't want to idle sounds like a vacuum leak or timing way off. You said you replaced the distributor, when cylinder # 1 is TDC, where is the rotor pointing?
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 1:32pm
Thanks for the feedback. I've traced the wires from the coil to the relay and I can't find a resistor. When you mention vacuum leak, do you mean at the intake mainifold/throtle body? I know I've got a problem there. But, I don't have any vacuum lines coming off the carb. Is this normal?

The boat is at the lake so I won't be able to check rotor position for a couple of days. I re-read my orriginal post. I didn't replace the distributor, only the cap, rotor and ignition module.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 2:13pm
If in doubt just run another wire from the 12 volt source or starter relay to a new ballast resistor( value in ohms plus the coil internal resistance mounted on the plate that holds the starter relay ) to match the requirements of the ignition module, BTW what ignition upgrade did you do,, brand?

The 12 v positive runs from the 12 v side of the ballast and the lower voltage side of the ballast goes to the + side of the coil and all that is so the - neg side of the coil connection to the ignition module is reduced.

On my Unilite the connection wires to the Dist. are I have a ballast to the + side of the coil, a green wire from the - neg side of the coil, a red wire directly to 12 volts ( starter relay ) and a brown wire to engine ground ( the plate that holds the starter relay ).
If you can make sense of this rambling message you have half the battle won.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 3:24pm
Jimbo:

I once tried combining a GM HEI ignition module with a Ford magnetic pick-up distributor. I read about this conversion on high performance Ford autos. Well, short of the story is that the engine ran like crap...just like you are describing. Idle quality was non-existant and just overall bad results. I messed around with it for the better part of a full day and finally junked the whole thing and put my old distributor (points) back in and the engine ran perfect.

I also bypassed ballast resistor, change coils all to no avail. I would love to have figured out what the problem was, but just got frustrated and quit. So, I am anxious for you to figure it out. Next time I may go Pertronix, but my experience makes me a bit nervous. I know I was trying a bastardize setup, but strange never-the-less. Sorry that this post is no help at all, just another persons similiar experience.

Oh, one last thing. I played with the timing until I was blue in the face. I must have pull the distributor 10 times to make absolutely sure I had it correct...even installed with rotor in a position that I was sure was not correct to confirm. ARGH!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 4:38pm
Hey David I just ordered a Pertronix HEI for my 88'w/ford 351 yesterday. I'll keep you posted on how it goes when it gets here.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 6:15pm
What I meant by vacuum leak is the intake gasket letting the engine suck in air. Not a vacuum line.
Tim D
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 9:29pm
oooh, a new Pertronix HEI complete all brand new, sounds extra nice. Are you sure a HEI is going to fit, the thermostat housing and exhaust manifold cooling hose looks tight, hope it works.

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 12:13am
jimbo, my '78 COMMANDER doesn't run a ballast resistor, but rather, a resistor WIRE (like some automotive applications). So... if you need to run without resistance, you will HAVE to run a new wire (at the full 12 volts). You should be able to identify whether you have a resistor wire in a few different ways: it will probably be WAY too long (and coiled back-and-forth in your harness); it may be labeled on the insulation; if all else fails, check it with a volt meter (if it doesn't have full voltage then it is a resistor wire).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 12:18pm
i beleave that resister wire is called a "fuselink"
the ballast resister is a fixed resistance in the ignition primary circuit.during low speed operation when the primary circuit current flow is high the ballast resistor temperature rises increasing resistance,this reduces the current flow prolonging ignition point life.when the current flow is low the ballast resistance cools off allowing more current flow.it just protects the points.you dont need resistance to an electronic setup.
please correct me if im wrong.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 12:54pm
Kenny:

Apparantly, some (or one) of the Pertronix retrofit modules needs the resistor. I made the same statement as you and was soon admonished (nameless person) rather than corrected. So, I will politely (I hope) correct you and suggest that people read the manual that comes with the electronic ignition kit to determine if the resistor is required or not.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 3:11pm
I installed a Prestolite kit. The instructions said to bypass the resistor or resistor wire. My new coil sould be here soon. I'll install it and try to find and bypass the resistor wire (thanks jameski). Hopefully that will get it running well enough for me to be comfortable replacing the leaky throtle body gasket and maybe intake mainifold gasket. I don't want to tear too many thinks apart at once. It makes it difficult to figure out what I did or didn't do right. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 6:08pm
Which coil did you order? I got the one Accel makes for high vibration and heat since it sits on the intake. This coil has a gel inside instead of oil.
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 6:09pm
I ordered the one Skidim sales.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 6:17pm
How was the engine running before the ignition conversion? If it was running OK, I don't think the coil is the problem. Check the voltage on the wire feeding the coil. If it is less than 12 volts, then you are getting some resistance from somewhere - probably from a "resistor wire". My conversion kit allows the resistance to remain, so I only have about 9 volts feeding my coil, but if you need 12 and you only have 9, it will run like crap - just like you described in your original post; it will have a very weak spark.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2005 at 3:50am
All of you are missing the reson for a resistor. If you have less than 12 V.D.C., Nothing functions properly, because it is a 12 volt system.A resistor limits the voltage coming in. I.E., if your alternator @ 4500 R.P.M.'s is putting out 13.7 V.D.C. the resistor will not let more than 12 volts enter the primary winding of the coil. When you switch from breaker point ignition, to electronic ign., your advance curve is comprimised. you are switching from mechanical, or GOD forbid vaccum, to well... electronic... I'm sorry, I'm a dinosaur, I definately prefer breaker point ignition, make it a double... dual point that is.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2005 at 2:51am
No takers?

I don't know 66polyhead, I can't agree with your post, how does your advance curve change with a electronic conversion?, that's a weight, spring and RPM controlled function.

My opinion is electronic ignition is far better than points. We all have our preference.

gordon watson View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2005 at 8:06pm
f
gordon watson View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2005 at 8:24pm
Allright, I'm verry well versed w/ this info because I have converted my 351 commander to a mallory mbi ignition. I have the mallory distributer ylm5544cv and a balist resister. All ignitions have or should have a loom risisted ignition wire or a ballist resistor between the ignition switch and the positive side of the coil. The perpose is to drop the voltage from the switch prior to the power getting to the positive of the coil. The jumper wire from the starter relay goes straight to the positive side of the coil. No resistance. This gives the ignition system additional power druing starting only and yes you need it. The module in the distributer gets a full 12-14.4 volts at least on a mallory. The coils voltage gets reduced because it ahs the power to store energy which is expelled when the negitive side is triggered by the mbi the green wire from the distributer. Test the power at the switch, then test the power at the inlet to resister and after. It should drop unless damaged. So I hope that explains it. Clean up your grounds also. Oh and to the post up top! The regulator is what limits the voltage over 14.4. The balist resister drops the voltage to between 8-9 volts to the coil. The rectifier (motorolla box) on the back of engine) converts the ac power to dc and then cleans it up for even flow. Good luck.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2005 at 12:09am
Ok, I was replacing the coil and I twisted off one of the studs on the new coil. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a 12V electronic ignition coil. I put that one on and didn't tighten the bolts too tight. I found a long wire that was wrapped around it's self 4-5 times that went from the (+) side of the coil to a plug in connection that went to the ignition, I guess. I cut about 5 feet out of that wire and spliced it back together. The wires were silver-colored; I guess they are aluminium.
Anyway, the motor was still hard to start but I think that's related to my electric choke problem. When I got it started it was running much better. It chokes out when I idle it for a while but does fine when I open the hood. I'm sure that's due to the exhaust leak. The idle was a little rough and it surged some at high speed but I think that's due to the leak at the intake manifold.
I think we'll play tomorrow, then I'll work on the intake and exhaust leaks. Thanks everbody for your help.
gordon w View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 7:12pm
sound like your getting there. Be sure to check all the voltage to the system. the wire your talking about that has the extra length? I'm not sure what that is. That sounds like it could be a loom resistance wire. Test the voltage at the switch and then at the end of the wire where it would attach to the positive side of coil. It should be at 8-9 volts and no less. If its more the you'll ned the balist resister block. The problem is rarley the coil. It you have given to coil a full 12-14 volts in the past this will damage the module. So be sure your not chasing your own tail. Check the voltage! The check it with the module unpluged. I damaged my module by jumpstarting my boat with a battery charger. All the voltage was great with the module unpluged but when the module was pluged in everything droped to below 3.75 volts. This caused weak spark and a rough idle. Solve one issue at a time. Also check the power valve in the carb. If the motor backfires through the carb the power valve is gone. this cause gas to be dumped in the intake at idle when is should only open up at full power. Is the primary bowl draining while it sits? Good luck.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 2:42am
Hey Jimbo, now that you know you got leaks you just have to fix 'em.

After that, disconnect your choke. If you leave the choke adjustment screws slightly loose you can turn the plastic cap to "manually operate" your choke while you tackle your ignition problem. Once your ignition problem is solved then attack the choke problem.

By-the-way, my Pertronix Ignitor electronic conversion instructions warn: "Do not use a coil intended for use on an electronic ignition with this conversion! The coil will damage the conversion module." Are you using a Pertronix electronic conversion?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 2:56am
Do I need the resistance if I converted to electronic ignition? Somewhere I got the Idea that if I convered to electronic ignition I should get rid of the resistance and send as much voltage to the coil and thus to the spark plugs as possible. I thought the resistor was to keep the points from wearing as much. Any ideas on this?
I can't check the voltage until this weekend. I do suspect there could be a problem with a weak spark. I used one of those screwdriver looking spark testers and it wasn't very bright.   I just thought the plug wires might be too insulated to get a bright flash or the light was bad. I never checked the spark indicator on my truck. I can do that before next weekend.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:11am
Hey Jim--I got the one SKIDIM sales for pre 87 models. It was either Prestolite or PMC. I read the instructions throughly and their wasn't anything about not using an electronic ignition coil. In fact I think it said using a coil not intended for electronic ignition could degrade preformance. I'll see if I still have the instructions and check to be sure. This wouldn't be the first time I've been mistaken lately. It sucks getting old!
I'm planning to fix the intakeand exhaust leaks soon, but I need to pull the boat out of the water. It's at a friend's house now but if everything goes right, in May I'll drive it up the river to my new house!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 4:18am
Don't give up on it. You gotta a good boat. I realize you would like to get the boat running and drive it but I strongly advise you fix the manifold leaks before you go any farther. This means pulling off the manifolds, cleaning the machine fits, re-gasketing, and torquing with a torque wrench in proper bolt sequence. The machine fits can be cleaned with a soft wire wheel on a hand drill or with medium grit emery cloth and elbow grease. All of the machine fits must be clean enough to eat off of. A "bottom" tap with a drop of light oil should be ran down each bolt hole to clean the bolt holes and prepare them for new or cleaned bolts. Be sure to use new bolts or wire buff and oil all of the existing bolts to a new spotlessly clean condition.

Bolt kits can be purchased on-line for a fairly low price from people like Summit Racing. This will save you the time of cleaning bolts.

After the leaks are repaired go to work on the ignition.

The people at skdim are helpful. Ask them which coil you need for the conversion kit you bought.

The instructions for my Pertronix Ignitor electronic conversion module state: "Never use a HEI type coil with the Ignitor".

Conventional point type ignitons must have the voltage reduced to the points. This was traditionally done by adding a (ballast) resistor in series with the primary wire (the hot wire) to the coil. The resistor was usually rectangular white porcelyn about 2" long and had a value typically 1.5 to 3.0 Ohms of resistance. The resistance in the circuit would result in lower than 12 volts applied to the points. Coil manufacturers came out with coils that had built-in resistors (resistance actually) that would reduce the voltage without the need of a seperate (external) ballast resistor. So, your system may have had the resistor removed if a coil with a built-in resistor was used. The resistor could have been disconnected and left mounted in place - or it may have been removed, or it may never have been installed if your system came with a coil with a built-in resistor.

High Energy Ignition systems (HEI) use coils that output a much higher voltage to the spark plugs. This is a totally different issue from the resistance required in the primary circuit of older point type ignition systems.

I am not saying you are installing the incorrect coil because I do not know which electronic conversion system you bought.

Check with support at skdim. Tell them you need a coil that will work with the conversion kit you bought. If they recommend a conventional type coil for use with a points type (sometimes called a breaker type) distributor get a coil that DOES NOT require an external resistor. You may hook your 12 volt primary wire (the hot wire) directly to the + terminal on that type of coil.

Keep us posted.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 11:06am
Anybody?? I finally got my pertronix kit in the mail and started the conversion. When installing the rotor over the spacer there is a interference problem between the two. The rotor is a wee to big both on the shaft portion and on the top. Its a little too wide to fit in the cut out. Its a prestolite distributor and even went to auto zone with the part# but no help there. Any ideas or leads??
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 12:43pm
Mine was a little tight too. I could not install the rotor with the spacer on the distributor. I had to press the spacer on the rotor first and then install the rotor and spacer on the distributor as a single unit.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 12:55pm
Jim did you have to "file " the cap down so that it would fit into the sloted portion of the spacer. It ain't gonna fit that there either.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 1:41pm
No. I did not have to file it down. I did think for a minute that it was not going to fit - it was very tight. I had to force the spacer part of the conversion kit onto the rotor and then install it as a one-piece assembly onto the distributor shaft. Even then I had to press hard while I twisted the assembly onto the distributor shaft. I would not file it - I would return it first and try a different brand of conversion.

Or you may try a different brand of rotor. Can you take the unit to an auto parts store and try different brands of rotors? (Is that what you have already done?)

All that being said, I am very happy with the Pertronix conversion. The engine runs smoother at higher RPMs. I did not gain any RPMs, a subtle engine miss at high RPMs, that most people didn't notice unless I brought their attention to it, was eliminated. Who would have thought the miss was related to points? - not me. I am now an advocate of the conversion and I was very skeptical.

You should probably try a different brand of conversion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic