NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3M 5200

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3M 5200
    Posted: April-12-2005 at 7:17pm
Man. I sealed my exhaust ports with 3M 5200 today. The last time I had an expereince like that was when I made sweet rolls. By the time I was finished I had dough hanging from the ceiling and all of the kitchen cabinets. This stuff is the same way. I am now seeing signs of it appear on my keyboard. Did you know acetone will melt the handles on your nice Excelite screwdrivers? Vinegar was a good solvent for the GE RTV but don't even try it on this stuff. I have no idea what can clean 3M 5200. It's all over my hands, my cloths, and it's beginning to show up on my furniture too. I am reminded of the movie "The Blob". Any ideas?   
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 7:27pm
lacquer thinner!
anytime i want to seal water out i use 3m 800 industrial sealer.used on commercial laundry equipment.
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 7:55pm
I will remember to use lacquer thinner next time. Thanks.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 8:06pm
What you need to remember is not to make a mess and apply it smothly and neatly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 10:11pm
Right. Good idea. Why didn't I think of that?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 12:40pm
Jim:

Having fun yet?   I use Boatlife Boat caulk, but it is also messy and I use MEK or acetone for cleanup on the boat since the solvent does not attack metal or gelcoat. I also wear latex gloves to keep the stuff off my hands.

You could try "Goo Gone", but may not work.

The important thing is whether or not the exhausts are now sealed...the stuff will wear off your hands eventually
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 1:31pm
Good point David. Before I got my two CCs I spent my "off" time working on computers. Even when things don't go perfectly while working on a boat ; it's still light years ahead of tinkering with computers.

Yep, I'm having fun. In my case, working on the boat is at least half the fun of owning one. (It gets me out of my office and into the outdoors.)

The 3M 5200 should be set up by this afternoon and I am heading to the river.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 6:13pm
This stuff sounds as bad as rhino-liner. I heard this story about a guy putting rhino-liner on his truck, had it all over his hands and had to stop and step out of his garage to relieve himself and stuck his hand to his privates.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic