Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to keep bottom clean

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to keep bottom clean
    Posted: July-16-2009 at 7:33pm
Seems like a dumb question, but how does everyone keep the bottom of their boats from getting all growth and brown stains on them? I have been able to scrub the waterline every weekend or so, but can't get to the bottom. I can see brown staining on the underside when the boat powers down to pick me up after a ski. How do you clean it when it comes out of the water if it is on the trailer? What products do you use? Thanks, Dave
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 8:35pm
I use an effective product called a BROWN BOAT.
Sorry, I know, not much help.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 8:42pm
Slimy Grimy for the bottom, FSR for the scumline stain. Follow the directions on the container.

Much more costly but very effective way is a boatlift.
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 9:23pm
1:1 mix of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide (yea, the stuff you sterilize cuts with).
Our boat sits in a lake all summer and has a nasty scum line. That mix takes it right off. Re-wax after [ toilet bowl cleaner with no chlorine] mix the 2 together it will be somewhat thick just put on with a rag or brush,let it sit and then wash it off.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 10:46am
The Barefoot is kept on a hoist; problem solved. Our little Larson ski boat at home used to sit in the water, until we got a hoist for it. After it sat in the water for a summer, we cleaned it with a product called "The Works". Made it look new every fall. Pull the boat out of the water, spray it on, a little car brush action, and presto, white as snow.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 1:18pm
If you clean your boat with acid or "the works" you will eventually find that it will destroy your boat trailer!!

A boat lift is the way to go!!

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 3:01pm
Boat Lift.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 4:45pm
Thanks for the replies. Yes, boat lift would be the way to go, but I am in a marina and that is not an option. Next time I pull the boat I will try one of these suggestions. Thanks, again. Dave
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2009 at 8:09pm
I just got a bottle of "The Works". OH MY GOD!!!! That stuff is powerful stuff. I poured it from one bottle to another, and it was smoking or fogging. You know its got some active ingredients, which I assume are acid. I just sprayed it on, and let it work. Within seconds the brown scum was gone and the hull was whiter than new. And, it was like $1.97 at Wal Mart.
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2009 at 8:38pm
Dave use the toilet bowl cleaner with (no chloine)
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2009 at 9:07pm
Brian....I just checked the bottle, and it was the toilet bowl cleaner. Whatever that stuff is....I am sold! Can't beat the price either. I thought I was going to have to spend $300 to get the boat acid washed at the marina.
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2009 at 9:25pm
Dave
      that stuff works great can't beat the price
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 10:56am
I have a brush attached to a 3 foot handle. That 'Works' will burn you quick, esp. your eyes. I'd stay away from spraying it. It 'works' very good - will stain your brass fins, so wash it off right away.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

If you clean your boat with acid or "the works" you will eventually find that it will destroy your boat trailer!!

You guys must have missed this. Wish I had taken a pic after I took my bunks off.

pallmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 3:30pm
The Works comes in two strengths, Blue and Green. Blue is the stronger version meant for toilet bowls and rust stains and you really need gloves using it. The green is milder but still does a really good job on cleaning and rust stains. You can find both at the dollar store (Dollar General) for a buck.
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 7:26pm
What do you think the EPA would say about that going in the lake?

Clew In
Clew In
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Clew In Clew In wrote:

What do you think the EPA would say about that going in the lake?

As we used to say in my former gov't job:

Dilution is the Solution to Pollution.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 10:46pm
Run it hard and often.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 6:48pm

You guys must have missed this. Wish I had taken a pic after I took my bunks off.

Tim is right on the money. the acid stuff will make quick work out of cleaning the bottom of the boat but will destroy your trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic