Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More on alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on alignment
    Posted: July-20-2009 at 11:17pm
After running the boat for 3 seasons without checking the alignment, I decided it was time. I removed the bolts and determined the plates to be stuck, perhaps rusted, together. I spun the shaft from inside the boat. The small amount of resistence was symetrical and consistent. I tapped a small screwdriver into the seam and gently tapped the plates with a hammer, but I could not get the plates to separate. I did not want to do any damage trying to force them apart. Nothing suggested that the shaft was out of alignment. I never had a chance to use my gap wrench. Am I good to assume that my boat is in aligment?      
Jim
gcll View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:27am
Mine were rusted together also, I used a chisel and hammer to get them apart- then used a file to clean up the chisel marks and a drimel with wire brush to remove the rust, no harm done- my alignment was way off, now my boat runs alot smoother.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

Am I good to assume that my boat is in aligment?      

You know where that word leads.

From what I've seen with my own boats and a few others I've turned a wrench on, I'd say your odds of having good alignment are less than 50/50. I've even seen a couple that were visually out! Split the coupler and take a look. Remember to start at the strut if you need to reset it.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:46pm
i see they borrowed the shaft alignment thread on maliboobcrew.com, I thought i copyrighted it lol, at least it will generate traffic to CCF
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:48pm
man im i going threw the hoops today, a guy paid to replace his stringers in a skier and they set the engine about 2 inches forward, to accomadate the increase they pushed the shaft halfway out of the coupling and the prop was riding on the strut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:51pm
Eric, thanks for keeping us 'straight'.    

I had no idea how important alignment was with my '79. Part of why I sold it was it didn't run smoothly...bet I could have fixed it.    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

man im i going threw the hoops today, a guy paid to replace his stringers in a skier and they set the engine about 2 inches forward, to accomadate the increase they pushed the shaft halfway out of the coupling and the prop was riding on the strut

Yikes!
1988 BFN-sold

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 1:01pm
I need to look at mine again, I did it on the trailer over the winter after replacing the bushing but ive still got a growl at the lake. Vacation next week at the lake I may take my tools up and straighten it out...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 8:35pm
75 - My alignment changed by .003 or .004 between checking it on the trailer vs. floating.     pretty sure my stringers are OK, so apparently the hull flexes that much.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 11:11pm
Is a hammer and chisel the way to separate the plates?
Jim
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 11:45pm
Hammer & chisel is what these guys have mentioned before, but I have never had to resort to that level of force. Have you tried soaking it in PB Blaster or similar?

I once had a brake rotor that was rusted on - tried everything, including a puller, to remove it. The shop guy hit it for 2 seconds with an air hammer & it fell off. Not recommending this for your boat, but I wonder if it would work. Eric?.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 12:27am
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

Is a hammer and chisel the way to separate the plates?

This comes up over and over. I didn't ever have to break mine loose, but I do think it's fair to say that it will need adjustment if it's rusted shut.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 10:29am
snob, air hammer and torches are my favorites. my favorite use for the air hammer is u-joints, knocks them right out....once in a while to knock off a prop (with pressure applied), knocking out bearings, it has many uses
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:14pm
Hello,

I used a metal putty knife to get mine apart.

I hope this helps,

Donald
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic