Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller direction

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
doubleup16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller direction
    Posted: July-20-2009 at 11:19pm
So, after far too long I am changing out my impeller on the old 84.
Now I have seen many people say it is easy to reverse the impeller, so be careful to watch which way it comes out.

Well, this is my question- Is the housing the part that is easy to mix up or is it the actual rubber impeller? I pulled the old one out, not really knowing it would be such a tight fit, and in the meantime I don't know which way the new on is supposed to go:(

Which way should the impeller bend and all that jazz pics help a lot.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:43am
This is the way they should bend when viewed from the back side.

Tim D
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:12pm
so they go against the rotation??
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:58pm
I think the warning refers to re-mounting the pump upside down. This is very easy to do. The best thing is to mark the housing somehow before you remove it. The impeller vanes will just flip it you don't put them in the right diirection so that is not critical at all (at least I used to think so, read on:)

Tim - I see your impeller has ridges on one side. Is that just edge wear or are they molded in? If they are molded in does that make orientation important? I looked at my old one & see a little bit of grooves (basically extruded rubber) just on the edges from wear.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by saffer saffer wrote:

so they go against the rotation??

In Tims picture, the impeller would rotate clockwise. The blades of the impeller trail the rotation of the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2009 at 4:29am
[QUOTE=SNobsessed] I think the warning refers to re-mounting the pump upside down. This is very easy to do. The best thing is to mark the housing somehow before you remove it. The impeller vanes will just flip it you don't put them in the right diirection so that is not critical at all (

DITTO.

I pulled mine off last fall, and spring I was confused. I did a lake test to be sure in the spring. I pulled off the top hose on the thermostat and water was shooting like a cannon. I knew I was right then. The previous owner had scratched a T in the brass housing.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2009 at 12:34pm
It's always confusing to me how many people get in trouble replacing an impellar. The only way you can get in trouble is if you remove the hoses from the pump while replacing the impellar. I have changed impellars in many direct drive inboards and have NEVER had to remove the hoses to do it. Just unbolt the housing from the brackets, remove the bolts so you can split the housing open, R/R the impellar and bolt it all back in. No chance of putting in in backwards.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 1:41pm
Alan I've always wondered the same thing, but never spoke up since our pump is different (BBC). But yeah, if you don't take the hoses off you shouldn't be able to go wrong.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 5:42pm
I don´t know why but in the sherwood rwp for some reason you need to remove the pump to work it out so thats when you get confused..I think removing it makes it easir to work on them..And when I do it I disconnect the hose at the pump entrance and outlet...and mark the position..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 6:19pm
Seb,

I'm sure it's different for all models of boat and pump but just remove one hose if you can.

Ps. I have a sherwood and don't have to remove hoses to change the impellar, it would be easier but not neccesary.

Also a picture is worth a thousand words, snap a pic on your cell phone before taking any thing apart. I do it every time I take a machine apart at work, saves me hours on the phone to tech support fixing my screw ups.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 6:38pm
Sherwood RWP Ski Nautique w/351. It all depends on the ROTATION of your engine. Remember....the 1:1 engines are a reverse rotation engine!

PCM Tranny 1.23:1 Tranny- Drain Screw points IN! (Points towards the crank on the motor)

Borg Warner 1:1 Tranny-   Drain Screw Points OUT! (you can see it if installed correctly)

Tim

82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 6:41pm
Here is the correct position on a ford 351. Notice the small screw on the outside.

I mark mine with up arrow and line on each case side with fingernail polish. This helps me and mine has been out ocer 20 times since I bought the boat
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2009 at 6:42pm
For sherwood pump shown on Gt40 in a previous post...Cam screw in towards mtr for LH/ std Rotation...Cam Screw out towards starboard side of boat for RH/ Rev Rotation. Hose bibs up and down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2009 at 9:43pm
Mounting direction 351 PCM Ford

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Mounting direction 351 PCM Ford

Dennis,
Careful here - don't want to mislead people with LH standard rotation engines. You have pictured the position for a RR engine. No name (seperator) has the proper advice.

Originally posted by Seperator Seperator wrote:

For sherwood pump shown on Gt40 in a previous post...Cam screw in towards mtr for LH/ std Rotation...Cam Screw out towards starboard side of boat for RH/ Rev Rotation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 10:28am
Yes, you are correct. My picture is for a RR (Ford 351 Correct Craft)
1982 year. The cam screw is visable on the outside. Also notice where I painted the arrow up and a cross line to help with reinstalation as it is easy to get mixed up.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 11:14am
I found this information on the Sherwood website.

Which is the Inlet Port and which is the Outlet Port?
One frequently asked question is which port is the inlet and which is the outlet. Most Sherwood rubber impeller pumps are bidirectional, so the rotation of the engine and the orientation of the pump mount will determine which port is which.

In general there is a cam screw between the ports. That screw holds the cam in place; the function of the cam is to squeeze the impeller as it rotates over it. As the impeller moves away from the cam, the impeller blades open up and water is ingested in the pump (pump INLET). As the impeller approaches the cam and becomes compressed, the water is forced out of the pump (pump OUTLET).

Below is link to Sherwood site... Very helpfull - covers many styles of pumps

http://www.sherwoodpumps.com/en-us/Products/Pumps/Technical+Tips/FAQ1/FAQ1.htm
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
pdxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 5:17pm

Wow. I wish I had found this in September. Bought my 93' SNCB, changed the impeller and installed the sherwood pump backwards. 4-hours and $100 later and with help from two dealers I got it sorted.

What a pain.

Cheers!
93' SNCB - My First
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 3:36am

There's a lot of people that wished they'd found CCfan earlier!!! 4 hours and $100 bucks...consider yourself lucky!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 12:57pm
Dopuble up.. Check out this site. It will help you

http://www.sherwoodpumps.com/en-us/Products/Pumps/Technical+Tips/FAQ1/FAQ1.htm

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Kmans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 12:17pm
I am not asking about direction as much as the impeller itself. I went to replace mine just because it had been a while, The old one I took out was much more durable than the new one I purchased to put back in. The pic on this post by Tim has the one I want, I just don't know where to get it. I would put my old one back in in a minute if I could find it. The new one only lasted a year or so. Any ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 12:37pm
SkiDim sells good parts. Talk to Vince.

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:23pm
What boat ? What engine? It makes a difference ........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kmans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:27pm
351 Ford 1992 sport natique. it is more the material the impeller is made from. flimsy rubber vs stiff belt like material.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 1:31pm
just go and get a genuine Sherwood impeller 9959k if I remember right.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 6:10pm
Glad we're not alone

oops

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 12:43pm
You guys aren't really talking about which way the blades go are you? I think my head would explode.
Just pay attention as to which side of the pump the cam screw is on before you take it off.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 1:16pm
No those don't matter,they will flip in the correct posisition on startup. Easy for you southern guys to remember how your pump goes back on you most likely put it back on the day you take it off up north here my pump has been off for 7 months Pete has another month to go before ice out..... Each boat gets a weeks use before its time to put them away. That's how impellers last 40 years
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kmans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 1:51pm
I'm looking for an impeller that does not need replaced every year. I had one that was made of a different material and I saw it in this thread and wondered if anyone knew where I could find it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 3:33pm

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic