Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Cleats Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MarkGerardy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Cleats Wanted
    Posted: July-23-2009 at 4:33am
Hello Everyone,

I am now nearly finished the restoration of my 1963 Correct Craft 17' Classic and I am looking for vintage cleats, preferably a set of four. I have one cleat (of two) that is 4" long (the other cleat had been lost at sea).

Looking for vintage cleats, such as larger vintage/teardrop cleats that are 4 to 5 inches long. I know Perko Marine manufactures 3" and 4" cleats, and while these are great for dangling fenders over the side, they are not sturdy enough (in my opinion) as docking cleats.

So if anyone is parting-out an older 40s, 50s or 60s Correct Craft, I am interested in either a set of two or a set of four cleats.

Thanks in Advance!
Sincerely,

Mark
mgerardy@gmail.com
303-646-2442
Mark
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 12:00pm
I'll dig through my buckets of stuff in a few weeks to see what I have.

Please post pics of your boat. We don't see too many new-to-us Classics.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by MarkGerardy MarkGerardy wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Looking for vintage cleats, such as larger vintage/teardrop cleats that are 4 to 5 inches long. I know Perko Marine manufactures 3" and 4" cleats, and while these are great for dangling fenders over the side, they are not sturdy enough (in my opinion) as docking cleats.

Sincerely,
Mark

Mark,
The teardrop cleats aren't used for mooring. The mooring lines go to the lifting rings and then through line chocks at the edge of the deck (if equipped).

It's my opinion that the 4" to 5" cleats are too large for the Classic. The Perko 0566DP3CHR 3" is perfect for fenders for about a 18' boat.

The Whitecap 01190P4CHR would be the appropriate chock.

Both are available from marine supplies.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:50pm
Mark,
I was curious and took a look in the ref section at the Classic. It does show the mooring line chocks but no cleats for fenders. Quite common after the switch from wood hulls to glass. I guess CC figured the glass was indestructible rubbing against a dock!!

If you still want cleats, give Jim Staib a call at 815 344 7547 eve., 815 344 9663 day or email him at finewoodboats@finewoodboats.com Jim collects, sells and swaps old marine parts in his spare time and even sets up a sales booth at most of the wood boat shows. He may have some of the good teardrop cleats that were made out of bronze before they went cheap with the zinc die casting!! Be prepared for a re chrome!

Careful with the use of "original restoration" - don't worry as cleats were a common dealer installed item!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 11:25am
Not exactly a threadjack, since it relates to the Classic add shown above, but what exactly is Steve Evans (Raindog) wearing there in the back seat? A black and white striped cape?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 12:39pm
I'll let you in on a little secret...Grecian Formula and a striped cape will do wonders. Besides, did you see the rack on her? I'd wear anything...

You should take my advice, Reid. I was well on my way to closing the deal with the stacked blonde. As the driver, you Sir still had a lot of convincing to do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 4:30pm
Thank you everyone for the replies.

My boat is posted at:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4417&sort=&pagenum=1

I have sent an email to Jim at finewoodboats

There will be more pictures of my boat posted as it reaches completion.
Mark
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 10:42pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Docking Cleats

Sorry Marty but not the ones he's looking for - too old!
This is a teardrop cleat:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 1:54am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

I'll let you in on a little secret...Grecian Formula and a striped cape will do wonders. Besides, did you see the rack on her? I'd wear anything...

You should take my advice, Reid. I was well on my way to closing the deal with the stacked blonde. As the driver, you Sir still had a lot of convincing to do.

I wonder if she has held up over the years as well as your boat Steve!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 4:36pm
Mark......CC Hardware on Ebay   not a full set but a few pieces to the puzzle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:56pm
This is exactly what I am looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290335417265&viewitem=&salenotsupported

I have a bid on the above.

I have one surviving 4" cleat that was original to the boat that is identical to the cleats in the above link. Now if I could just find one or two more of the same type of cleats.

While Perko makes the teardrop cleats and they can be had brand-new, but Perko cleats are not the same type of sturdy docking cleats like in the above link. I see the Perko 3" and 4" cleats to hang fenders over the side, but less for docking. While Perko teardrops might work, and while there were two on my boat when bought many years ago, they were supplements to the docking cleats and were mounted by Correct Craft where a fender would normally be placed. I have already replaced both Perko teardrop cleats with fresh brand new chrome ones, also from Perko to be mid-ship, but not at each end (stern and bow) where docking cleats would be mounted.

If anyone has an old Correct Craft that you are parting out, save all of the hardware and let me know if you have any cleats or emblems.

Many Thanks!
Sincerely,
Mark
Mark
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:50am
More Chris Craft Cleats on E-Bay
Cleats??
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 2:07am
Here's some more. Have you seen these yet? They may be perfect for you!Old Boat Cleats
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 2:43pm
Mark,
So as I understand, you do want the cleats for mooring. Nothing to the lifting eyes then or are you just going to use the cleats for spring lines. Are you planning on keeping the boat in the water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 7:04pm
Have you found your cleats yet!!???
More Cleats
66 Skylark
93 SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:40pm
I got two out of four cleats that I need. I won auction at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290335417265&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Still could use two more cleats however.

4" cleats (like those in above action) are the exact stock size that came with the boat as original hardware.

The set of cleats is very tempting and intreqing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-English-Style-Boat-Cleats-Teardrop-Type-4-Bolt-Base_W0QQitemZ140338984208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item20acdaf510&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

But they are so big - 6 1/2 inches long - I think might be too much, even though the retro style is so awesome. Open for ideas (?)
Mark
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2009 at 2:40am
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 2:52pm
Yet again another cleat!
Cleat
66 Skylark
93 SN
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 2:44pm
I've got some of those tear drop cleats from the 50's and 60's, what size do you want?

Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 4:58pm
Looking for 4" cleats - if you can post a picture that would be awesome.
Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:29pm
Mark,
Did you get the classic new from the factory? I'm asking because you keep stating the 4" cleats were original to the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:34pm
I'll be going to the shop in the next couple of days and I'll see what I have in 4in. tear drops. If you want pics, you'll have to send me your email address since I don't know how to post pics on this site.

Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGerardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:48pm
Cleats actually do not have to be teardrop, actually the best are cleats like:

Did not get the Classic new from the factory, it was made five years before I was born. The cleats were original to the boat when I bought it in 1989 (I was 21 years old then). So the cleat might not be original exactly, but cleats that you see on boats in the 1980s and newer look completely different than of the earlier era of boats.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic