Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributer roll pin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributer roll pin
    Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:48pm
I've got a Mallory Breakerless Ignition. I've sheared the roll pin in the gear at the bottom twice in two weeks. Anyone have an idea as to why this may be happening?
Tate
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 4:35pm
I've heared it very common on the cleveland engines, but not the windsors.
One theory is when the umbrella valve seals deteriorate and chucks drain to the pan, they can lock up the pump and shear the pin.
However if your engine is under 25 years old, the inlet pickup screen should be too fine to permit this from happening.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 4:37pm
Do you have a HO oil pump?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 6:56pm
Gotta SKi. A local mechanic told me the same thing. Brainard, If I was to have an HO oil pump, what might that mean?
Tate
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 8:55pm
Gottaski, can you explain better? I just had my heads rebuild and we skipped the valve steam seals for lubrication purposes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 10:11pm
Tate,
A HO oil pump needs more power to run and would put more load on the pin. Many will put the after market HO pumps on there engines feeling it's better for the engine. The HO pumps performance/benefits is debatable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 12:08pm
If that's the case then do you think that it's adviseable to put a stiffer roll pin in the distributer?
Tate
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 6:30pm
Tate,
If you did break a "roll pin" or some call it a "spring pin" then there isn't a haeder/tougher version available.

I would suggest putting a dowel pin in its place. The hole however must be precisely reamed so the dowel pin fits properly. (ream about .0002" under the ground OD of the dowel pin.)

You had better pull the oil pump to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You had better pull the oil pump to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

yeah, I'm sitting here thinking when did oil get stronger than steel? I can't imagine enough friction/resistance even in a HO oil pump to break the pin so I'd think something is binding somewhere or the pump is bad. Gotta skis theory holds some water with me to, I've seen plenty of stem seal chunks in a pan before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic