NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Takin' the High Road

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takin' the High Road
    Posted: July-30-2009 at 12:49am
With all the discussion lately concerning Health Care, and arresting professors, I thought I would take the high road. Here's where I was yesterday with my wife, Tina (who is not the guy leaning on the sign), on our not-a-Harley.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:37am
Wow Chuck, that bike looks exactly like the 83 Goldwing I had. That is a nice bike. Only difference I see is that my passenger armrests swung out instead of down like yours. Only reason I upgraded to the Valkyrie Interstate is to pull a trailer across county. Wife could not fit 2 weeks of "stuff" in those bags.
I really miss that bike. Ride safe...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:31am
Chuck,
What the hecks the deal with the empty trailer hitch? Thought you had the SN in tow?    BTW, how many bikes in your "gang"? Dito on what Roger says, Ride Safe!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:50am
Critter: I really like the old stuff; I have about 67K on this and it still is running strong. I do have a trailer for mine that I put together this winter; didn't take it this time because one of the guys with a 1500 is pulling one.

Steve: Three bikes total. I've been looking for a CC in these mountain lakes, so far just fish and stuff.

Chuck

Back to routine on Saturday.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 10:03am
my neihgbor has 104000 thousand on his, he put everyone of them on the bike, thats alot of cruising
"the things you own will start to own you"
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:03pm
My 99 has 91524 as of the ride to work this morning. And all mine.

1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

My 99 has 910524 as of the ride to work this morning. And all mine.

Is there a missing decimal point in there somewhere or an extra digit, or are you seriously about to roll into 1 million miles??? Your a$$ must be a wad of cookie dough with that much time on the saddle.

In regards to the 83' winger up top, that's a nice looking Wing. My dad would love that thing. He had an 83' for several years. Those opposing 4 bangers are super smooth at cruise RPM. I prefer the racetrack but I can appreciate the tourers.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:52pm
Good catch there Craig,
It should be 91524. Not sure how that "0" got in there.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 3:07pm
Hey that's still quite a few miles. Those 1800cc engines, from what I hear, are amazing. Enlighten me though, what's the pro's/con's of the Valk vs. the Wing?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 3:35pm
Craig,
Personal preference really.
My Valkyrie is only 1520cc. The Valkyrie was the option to the wing before the wing upgraded to the 1800. The option to the 1800 wing is the Valkyrie Rune. More of a concept bike. Wife does not like passenger seating on the Rune so we will not go that route. She actually takes naps on the back of our bike. I have seen her sleep back there for an hour on longer rides. When we go out west, she flys out and back and I ride the bike.
Valkyrie vs wing... Valkryie is more open old school bike. More HP with 6 carbs instead of the 3 of the Wing. Both handle really well so it all depends on what the rider wants. The upright ride of the wing did not feel as comfortable to me as the pulled back Valkyrie. When I am with other wing riders, I hear more folks say "that is a big bike" about the Valkyrie. It is well balanced and rides like a dream on the mountian roads and comfortable on the long hauls in the mid-west.
I have ridden across country 5 times now. Last time was from NC to Seattle Wa in 3 days riding. 10 days on the Pacific Coast Highway and then 3 days from LA to NC. I have ridden many 1000 miles days and would do so again tomorrow.
Again, it is what you feel comfortable on. I ride with many other riders on everything from a crotch rocket to Harleys. I just say to be comfortable on whatever you ride so that you are safer when you ride.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 5:30pm
I can totally believe that your wife takes naps. My wife has dozed off on a friends 1500cc Goldwing on a trip down to Tennessee before. They are smooth and comfortable rides for sure. And you're absolutely rights about the way they handle, they're definitely more nimble than what most would think. Very balanced bikes.

I'm one of those crotch rocket riders for now, but like you, I ride with pretty much every kind of bike out there. I've kind of reserved my motorcycle riding to closed circuit road courses this year, it's a blast using the bike as it was intended. Here in a few years I'll be switching to (or adding) a cruiser. I've hit 250 miles in one day on my bike and that's about as far as I could imagine going on it in a day. Definitely need something more comfortable.

Stay safe.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 6:08pm
Chuck, you and that bike are class acts; have a blast!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 1:46am
Thanks Greg,

One more riding day and we are back home. Great time in the mountains . . . incredible, unfathomable beauty . . . very humbling.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic