Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chevy 350 Counter Rotation Conversion Tech

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy 350 Counter Rotation Conversion Tech
    Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:11am
Hey guys! I'm new to CCfan.

I am hunting for Counter Rotation Conversion Tech

Broken engine / waiting on my replacment / studing what I will need to do to convert.

My boat is not a nautique       But a few of the Nautiques have many similar features (PCM Chevy powered / counter rotation / Velvet drive). The guys here at CCfan are a great bunch. I hope yall don't mind me hanging around asking a few questions and picking up on the learnings of other fellow Ski boat owners. Here are a few pics of my boat.

My boat is a 1984 299 Dixie Super Skier

(Sky blue metal flake with some teal and silve sparkles / off white cap / Matching fiberglass metal flake swim platform ) I bought it on a deal ($1200) with the original (Dixie) Sportsman Trailer.

I am now working to replace the motor. ~ Counter Rotation Chevrolet 350 and was not propery winterized (previous owner).      

Originaly I thought I could pull it, nickle rod weld it, and be good to go, but nothing is ever as simple as it seems. When we welded it the block cracked internally and is now ruined.

So I'm looking to install a new marine gasket set and use my original timing gears / cam / lifters / distributor and convert an automotive engine over to counter rotation marine in an effort to salvage what is left of this summer.

My transplant canidate is a 1989 350 from a Chevy Suburban.

First point of interest:

I am getting conflicting information on the crank assembly. Some say I will need to change the crank due to the oil wick lines which are machined into the crank. Everything I find says the crank is smooth and that the crank oil wick lines are cast into the front and rear main seals ~ Thus the reason why you install the corect counter rotation seals. I have these on order from SkiDim.

Second point of interest:

A few sorces are listing the rear most exhaust manifold hole as being offset on the 1986 and up automotive engines, thus my new PCM manifolds may not fit. I can swap to my original 1984 heads or drill and tap a new rear hole. Others say they are a direct fit and their is no issue. ???   

I am aiming to pick up this suburban engine next week obviously this will answer many of my questions but mean while all I can do is study, research and plan.       

Please correct me if I'm posting in the wrong spot or overlooking the obvious. I've done some searching with little / no results.

Yes ideially I should just buy / build a new engine, but I'm trying to keep cost down while the economy / job situation is sketchy.   

PS: The 89 Suburban is EFI ~ I considered an EFI conversion too, but that didn't seem like anything quick or easy. Installing an O2 sensor in the stock exhaust manifold has me stumped.     

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:34am
Looks like I may have stumbled across somthing...

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

inboard engine guide
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 4:49am
Get an estimative on the cost of doing such convertion...
I'd switch over to a PCM 1.23:1 transmission to keep propeller rotation a put the engine as is. You'd need a new prop anyway.

Another option is to put the engine as is, and turn the oil pump on the Velvet drive and switch to a LH prop and go. The RH rotation hardcores wont like this option, but you might consider it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I'd switch over to a PCM 1.23:1 transmission to keep propeller rotation a put the engine as is. You'd need a new prop anyway.

Another option is to put the engine as is, and turn the oil pump on the Velvet drive and switch to a LH prop and go. The RH rotation hardcores wont like this option, but you might consider it.

Either of those options will cost some money- he has all the parts to stay with a RH engine, why not help the guy out?

#1, I say pull the crank on the original engine and see what youve got! If it has wick lines, use it in the new engine. If not, make sure you get the proper RR seal on the new engine.

#2, Im no Chevy guy, but I doubt you'll have issues with exhaust manifolds. SkiDIM doesnt list different Chevy manifolds- so I think the 305/350 pieces will fit all years (there are lots of modern 350's used in ski boats).
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 2:41pm
what about the heads? are his current and 1989 heads the same? bores? piston cleareances?

whitfield, do you have any experience wrenching this engines?
I believe there are more than the crank issues and oil whick lines to consider, such as pistons, bearings, machining etc etc. It not only depends on your budget but in the amount of time you're willing to spend on it. You dont know how much it will cost neither the time it will take.

PCM tranny and prop around U$D1800. plus you have the 1:1 and prop for sale. Time involved a week???

reversing the oil pump and switching prop cost U$D350, time involved 2 days?

it's up to your willing.

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:22pm
Thanks for the response guys.    

Sounds like I will aim to keep it counter roatation unless it requires me to change out the crank. If crank change / then fip pump and change wheel / run standard rotation and Build new counter rotation engine this winter.   

I've got 20 years of auto mechanics and grew up at a (cough) Bayliner dealership in the 80's.     (I've got just enough information to be dangerous)

I hope to get some pictures to share along the way.

Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 2:15am

I've missed this summer, but I'm in no hurry. Now I'll get time to work on the interior too.   

Lots of time cleaning sandblasting and detailing. Parts are coated with Sherwin Willams Sherkem industrial heavy equipment paint (good stuff and under $50 per gal here). I've got the engine converted over to counter rotation using my existing parts. My old engine looked new inside. No wear, no sludge, no rust. Pulled my cam and marked my lifters, reinstalled with no issues. I did take it to a machine shop and have new cam bearings installed (just for piece of mind). Only one shop would tackle this with the crank and rods still assembled ($80). New counter rotation main seals installed. New 1-piece oil pan gasket (Fel-Pro brand very nice stuff). It took a little work to adapt my Edelbrock performer intake (that was on my old motor) to the 89 EFI motor. On the 89 model EFI 350 (4) center most intake bolts are drilled at a different angle then the older modles. With some creative engineering that is now overcome too.

So far I'm just under $500 not including the new manifolds /risers and gaskets.   

Looking to install it next week and hope to get in a few late season sessions.

Michael ....    

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 7:28am
Whitfield welcome to the site did some research when deciding on my Chevy set up I was told on a RH crank not only the oil seals/wick line but the oil ways on the crank set differently too, and also from memory check the pistons are in the right way round ( think they are opposite to a LH engine others here will know for sure )
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 3:57pm
Roger(UK) is right about the pistons. Many have a slight offset as I'm sure you know and will knock and slap if you don't turn them around. I knew this in advance, forgot about it when I put the engine together, and found myself with yet another bilge cleaning opportunity.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 9:33pm
I'm trying to convince myself it will live ~ this may be futile...

If I pull the 125k pistons I'm gonna rebuild it, If I'm gonna rebuild it then I'm gonna scrap this and run the 98 Vortec engine... So my thoughts today are run it as is and see how bad the rattle is. Roll the dice and build the Vortec engine over the winter as a back up.   

That Mastercraft prop and standard rotation set up are looking like the simpler way to go.

John Lingenfelter: Modifying Small Block Chevy Engines

p. 44-45

Cast pistons are often built with what is called Piston Pin Offset. A typical offset would be .060 inch, where the pin is closer to one side of the piston then the other. This is used to ensure quiet operation, especially during cold start up when the clearances are the greatest. Some Hot Rodders using cast pistons will reverse the piston pin offset which will be worth a small amount of power. As you can imagine the pistons will slap around a little when the engine is cold.

Still doesn't give me much. Sounds like I might get some start up clatter if they are offset but they can run and live either way.
Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 12:33am
Of course I'm covering my eyes and plugging my ears knowing this is not the right way to go...

Can the piston pin offset of just less then the width of a penny make it rattle and possibly self destruct. I guess that is one of those things I'm gonna have to smoke over and make a decision on.

Michael ....    

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 1:05am
If it dies an early death I don't think it will be from piston pin off set.We used to build motors that way.It will slightly increase piston dwell at TDC which is worth a tiny bit of power across the whole power band.I think she might run like a champ,or may scatter the first time you really hammer on it.Such is the nature of used parts.If looks are counted should need a break in period.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 2:10am
I had a quick look at my 02 350 vortec and the difference looked about 1/4 inch from one side to the other, so around 1/8 offset will check again later today.

If the old RH block and the new one are still standard bore/same there are adapter plate that convert 1 piece oil seal blocks to old 2 part seal,which will let you run all the old RH assembly with a light hone and new rings good to go,think it lets you use the newer sump.

The other thing you may need to check is the CR as the old will be flat top and may push it up a bit from what you have,but more Hp but not too high for the gas we now have.

Which moves on to the flywheel,If you run your old RH parts no problems,the newer type flywheel (I'm told by SkiDim) when used on top mount housing need the ring gear to be flipped round to mesh right.I have the same housing as you I picked up on US Ebay for my set up but still need the starter,would be great help if you can post a pic of your one showing the nose and dog gear and how many teeth it has.

All the best with the build.   

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 3:56am
This is what we have over here may be of some help

Moroso Rear Seal Adapter
This adapter converts the one-piece rear main seal on 1986 and newer
small blocks to the old style, two-piece rear seal. For use when installing the old style crankshaft in newer blocks. Retains the new style sump.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 6:00am
I dont want to be annoying but this is what I meant when I posted earlier.
I wouldnt run that engine like that unless you dont mind ruinning a good block.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 2:31pm
Luchog ~ Not annoying at all...

I look forward to all comments, opinions, and experiences. That is why I am here.

Big Thanks! To all who have responded.

UK1979 ~ I have sourced a spare (bare early 80's block). My old rotating assembly could drop right in with a machine shop ~ dip / check / hone. That was my plan of action before I test drove this $300 runner.    

Munday ~ You are not alone. A few Dirt track and Hot Rod guys say the same. Run it!

For now I'm still gathering data on what this engine can and can not do. Searching for documented facts when I can find them.       

Thanks,
                      Michael
Michael ....    

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 5:26pm
Checked the piston pin today size shown is from inside wall of pin to outside of piston not the best but much better than my old money guess (looks like I have lost the knack now and become a mm man) hope this helps you on your build, piston still had date stamp 20th Jun 03.

Well its up to you now and go with what's best for you, as for deals we all do them, only needed one dumper did a deal on 2 to make one ended up 2 engine rebuilds and now have 2 dumpers.

There are more Ford guys here than Chevy so they do like to see us suffer a bit before help is given but a great bunch of guys, don't get this Ford vs Chevy thing but makes some good posts each way.

You may end up with a Chevy tow motor for the boat too so all good,keep going and it will all work out,

All the best Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 8:25pm
Thanks uk1979 I am a visual kind of guy.

If my math is correct then the difference is .082" or 82 thousandths.

1/2 of that would be center ~ So .041" or 41 thousandths offset.

Looks like your 2003 pistons have less wrist pin offset then the .060 I listed above.
Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 12:45am
Week (2) with boat cover off...

Week 1 was spent stripping the shaft / log / strut / rudder for refresh / alignment / reseal.   

Taking a break from under side and back to working on enigne.

Working on finishing up the engine install I started last year and cleaning up cobbled repairs / bandaids from previous owners. So far install is going smooth.

After~

Before ~

Looks like I will need to find a suitable replacment marine carb and metal fuel line very soon. I'm also in need of updating my raw water pump hose line and routing. I purchased a new strainer from Ski Dim as mine did not come with one. We put in 1/4 mile down from the fall line / rapids at low tide (shallows) lots of sand and silt if you get out of the ditch. Hopefully the strainer will keep some debris out of the block. As wifey and friends seem to cut corners on occation.   

Hang ups right now are:
      Funky throttle linkage bracket at housing and ball on automotive carb is too small for the marine cable fitting. I'm budgeting for a replacement Marine Holley or Quadra jet but want to hear it run first.

Second hang up is my 3" exhaust hose will need to be replaced soon. This stuff is uber expensive and the cast elbows I have inplace now are unsightly rusty ugly. Is their agood source for reasonably priced 3" mandrel stainless elbows and rubber fittings?       
Michael ....    

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 1:10am
I got these 3" 90's and clamps from Summit and connected them with hose.Not a real detailed pic but you'll get the idea-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 1:27am
Thanks Gary ~ Somehow I missed them on Summit.

I'm thinking (2) 90-deg + (2) 60-deg + (4) 10" - 12" sections of 3" exhaust hose should do the trick and help to clean things up.

Has anyone on here played around with getting the custom exhaust shops to bend a set of S's I know they do not use a Mandrel bender but many now offer stainless for the performance diesel crowd.
Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 2:12am
I am still struggeling to navigate Summits web site ... Guess I need a paper catalogue.

Accel Tube (Amazon.com) has a nice selection of 3" Stainelss mandrel bends at very reasonable prices. $116 for all (4) pieces ~ + Shiping They also list a few sources for reinforced hose.

Michael ....    

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 9:46am
Michael,
Wherever you end up getting the elbows, make sure the stainless is a 300 series and not the 400 series which is the cheaper "muffler" grade.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 1:02pm
Thanks Pete,

I guess exhaust shops use the 400 series ~

Is the 304 what you would call 300 series?
The 3" stuff from acceltube.com specs:

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: FAB-300SS-304-60DEG-1D
Price: $29.00
Shipping Weight: 3.00 pounds

3" Diameter Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent 60 degree elbow with 6" legs. Centerline Radius 3" (super tight radius). 304 Grade / T304 SS, 16 Gauge (.065") corrosion resistent tubing. Easy to cut and use to fab downpipes, exhaust systems, intake systems, and intercooler pipes. Made in USA to the highest quality standards.

Pete what are your thoughts on a set up using Trident Marines Elbows and Bellows? Looks like nice stuff and would make a clean set up ~ but it is pricey...

http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/wetex_elbows.htm

Can you use these for the bends and straight stainles for the other?
Michael ....    

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 1:48pm
Michael,
Yes on the 304.

The Trident parts are nice but pricey. I really don't feel you need to use them. Remember they need to be clamped off to hard pipe so you'd end up with short pipe "couplings". Why not just put the exhaust hose back in like the original?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 2:05pm
I'm not Pete, but yes, 304 SS is good stuff.

This thread is an interesting read. I am a ford guy, so I can't really help with gm related questions, but I will help with anything else I can.
It looks like you are in good hands here.

As far as the elbows, I ended up getting fiberglass ones from a local boating supply shop. It's called kendor and they have almost everything you could want.

The ones I got are like the first one listed, but not 8" LOL I don't see any other size of FG connectors.
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|311|292325&id=314569&start=01&results=10&sort=products
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michael,
Why not just put the exhaust hose back in like the original?

I'm not exactly sure what original was. I think from what I've seen most Nautiques just run flex from the risers to the transom. I might could get away with that ~ What do you think?

Currently I've got (4) rusty cast iron mandrels joined with short sections of wire reinforced 3" exhaust hose.

I feel the current exhaust set up with it's miss matched hoses and random clamps more resembles a kindergarden craft project.

I might try to cean it up sand blast and paint the old cast mandrels and replace with all new hose. I'm looking for somthing to compliment the under hood refresh. Cleaning up the exhaust is one of the last steps under the dog house.

Michael ....    

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

Michael,
Why not just put the exhaust hose back in like the original?

I think from what I've seen most Nautiques just run flex from the risers to the transom. I might could get away with that ~ What do you think?

Yes, the hose from the manifolds directly to the transom is typical (with mufflers in between if so equipped)
Speaking of mufflers, you haven't mentioned them. Lots will remove them and run ether hose all the way back or a straight section of pipe.

One thing to consider, is every hose clamp connection is a potential leak. If you're buying hose anyway, eliminate as many as you can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 8:37pm
Added boat pics to 1st post.

I'll look into the all hose option.

No sign of mufflers on mine or any of the other (4) Dixie 299's I've found yet.
Michael ....    

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 9:37pm

Michael,
Wherever you end up getting the elbows, make sure the stainless is a 300 series and not the 400 series which is the cheaper "muffler" grade.

You know Pete I ran steel ones for 20 years before they rusted out,if he can't or does not want to spend the extra money,I'm sure the 400 will work for a long time.By the way the hoses needed replacing by then also.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic