Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main on jbear boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbearjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbearjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main on jbear boat
    Posted: August-03-2009 at 2:24am
Earlier in the week dad showed up with his boat. He didn't know the scope of the job. In talk before he got here I told him the job would be no problem. I didn't make clear how large the job would be. He did okay as I pulled the transmission. Got a little nervious as I to chisel one of exhaust manifolds. really started to come apart as we rolled the motor over and started to take the lower end apart. All in all, the job went really well. New rod and main bearings, new oil pump, new rear main seal, new left side exhaust manifold. We didn't even get the boat that dirty. Heared it still took him most of Sun. to clean it when he got home to Fla. Just so everyone knows, he does know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench. Be sure to ask him about his trailer story.
dennis
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 7:35am

Originally posted by jbearjr jbearjr wrote:

Just so everyone knows, he does know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench.

Do you have any photographic evidence of this unbelievable claim?!?!?

eg:
-Adam

1973 Skier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 10:19am
Poor JBear...I can almost see his face; "you're gonna do what?!!?"    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by jbearjr jbearjr wrote:

Earlier in the week dad showed up with his boat. He didn't know the scope of the job. In talk before he got here I told him the job would be no problem. I didn't make clear how large the job would be. He did okay as I pulled the transmission. Got a little nervious as I to chisel one of exhaust manifolds. really started to come apart as we rolled the motor over and started to take the lower end apart. All in all, the job went really well. New rod and main bearings, new oil pump, new rear main seal, new left side exhaust manifold. We didn't even get the boat that dirty. Heared it still took him most of Sun. to clean it when he got home to Fla. Just so everyone knows, he does know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench. Be sure to ask him about his trailer story.

John,
Are you retaining any of the work done by your son? Teaching a old dog new tricks?

Ok, what's up with your trailer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 2:21pm
hey John so good you're having your son work on your boat!!!
We all really wanna know your side of thes story!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 10:56pm
We need Pictures of the work and some of John expressions.
Good to hear all went well and John and Pattie got home ok.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 12:56am
What a joy to have a son that can take apart anything and get it back together again with no parts left over. Must have something to do with those years of Voc Automotives in high school, after school job for his auto class teacher, almost 10 years in the Navy as a MM, working at dealerships and shops after the service and running his own shop for a few years. We all know he didn't learn any of this stuff from me!
We had a great time doing this job. Yes I was surprised at the scope of the job, just figured it was some kind of gasket...wrong. Only took 2 calls to the dr...he did help Dennis talk me into doing (paying for) a little extra work like bearings all around and a new oil pump plus a new damper thing in the tranny.No drip from the valve covers and no water drip from the manifold. Sweet. Plus 2 fun days spent handing my son tools. We do have some pictures I believe. None with me with tools in hand tho.

The trailer. Went fine all the way from Florida to NC onto Ky and then to the frozen north. Left out Sunday morning early (aside; temp gauge in the truck read 41 at 5:30am) rode all the way to beautiful Renfro Valley KY just fine. At our last gas stop before Tennessee I walked back to check the tires and hubs like I do at each stop and went "holycrap" the trailer tires were bald in 1 spot and had tread in the next. Knew something was amiss. Continued on to our place at a reduced speed. Pulled in late Sunday evening after 13.5 hours on the road. The captain and coke plus all my buddies were waiting on the deck.So put the boat in the next morning and the wheels just about fell off. Took the hubs apart (well my friend Mark did) and the bearings just came out in pieces. So $330 later I was all set...new bearings and tires. Made it home just fine.

AdamT..got your message. Need to talk to ya in person.

What a trip! To bad Kristof and Chantal could not be along for the ride.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 11:00am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What a joy to have a son that can take apart anything and get it back together again with no parts left over. john

I've been told that the best mechanic can make something run even if he does have parts left over!!! (I feel it's just one of those "sayings" though!!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 11:02pm
I have heard thru the grape vine that John was even giving out all the fishing hot spots in the Green Lake area! What a guy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2009 at 9:21pm
Here's a picture of Jbear watching someone with a screwdriver :) Of course the someone didn't have a clue to what he was doing either.

Chuck
PS. Dennis, it's cool to see you have the gift . . . hope to meet you some day!
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2009 at 9:32pm
Chuck,
It really doesn't matter. The important thing is the crew found the problem and got it running.

Now, the important lesson of the operation was that you now know how handy a volt/ohm meter is!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2009 at 10:39pm
Yes Pete, the volt meter is now an instrumental part of my garage, and I've actually used it a time or two!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 2:09am
Actually I was admiring the mopar engine.

I just told Eddie today that since helping Dennis that I was noew ready to help him with his rebuild. He did not seem all that excited. He did allow me to ride along to the parts store today.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jbearjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbearjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 7:23pm
The pose in the photo looks familar. I seem to remember it from working on his boat. Tryed to post photos of the tear down but the files were to large and don't know how to shrink them. I wonder if I could talk him into putting the spare 460 in the boat. That would be fun. Bet Boatdr and I could do it if we could only talk dad into it.
dennis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic