Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 BFN 454 Prop Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AnglersEdgeAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 BFN 454 Prop Question
    Posted: August-06-2009 at 2:30pm
Hey all, newb to the correct craft family as of monday. Finally got the ski boat i have wanted for years. I bought a 1979 BFN with a 454 in it. Had it out a couple of times since i bought it on monday and it handles all the wakeboarding and cruisin we do. I've been a certified evinrude johnson outboard motor tech for a couple of years now so i know my way around outboard boats but inboards are a totally new game for me.
I bought the boat with a 3 blade prop on it and the previous owner told me that the holeshot and pulling boarders out of the hole would be alot better if i got a 4 blade. Im assuming this is probably true if it is the same as outboard props but wanted some feedback as to what prop would be the best option for this boat.
Any and all suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea and i'll get some pics up quick too.
Thanks
AJ
I know its a crappy picture but i took it on my phone on the way home with her. Will get better ones up soon.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 2:51pm
The original prop on that boat would have been a Federal 13x15 3-blade. Im running an Acme 612 (12.5x15.25 3-blade) on our '79 BFN and it performs pretty respectably- it turns about the same RPM's as the original prop. I believe the hot ticket would be one of the 13x14 3-blade Acme's that were designed for the big block boats. There are 2 models with varying cup (1458 has .135 cup, 1598 has .080 cup) that Im hoping to try soon. Bill Weeks from Acme said that the 1598 really wakes up a stock 330hp 454... the 1458 almost robs too many RPM's for a stock motor.

I believe Acme and a few other manufacturers may have some 4-blades in comparable sizes, but my experience has been that the modern 3-blades outperform them in every way. The new CNC 3-blades have a ton of blade surface area so theyre just as quick out of the hole and are more effient up top (read: faster).

Definitely get those pics up- there arent a lot of the older BFN's around! Welcome to the site.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 6:32pm
Welcome to the site! Congrats on the boat! I'd been eyeing that one for quite some time but It wasn't worth a divorce!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 6:49pm
Congrats and welcome! Looks like the one listed in Brighton... was it? Are you in MI?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 7:02pm
Yeah it was the one on craigslist listed in Brighton. I had been watching it for almost two months, and then when i saw it come down to $4000 i saddled up and drove 5 1/2hrs to get it. Im in Rockford Illinois. I have taken it out 4 times already since i bought it on Monday and man i love that thing. Needs a little TLC but what 30 year old boat doesnt.
Theres a couple of other things you guys might be able to help me out with or guide me to some links since i'm a little new to navigating the site. (If this should be posted somewhere else, let me know and ill try to move it)
Any one have one this old that they have put a stereo in? I would love to see pictures to try and get an idea of where i want to install mine.
Any one have any idea what the two threaded & valved pipes are that go to the front of the boat from the front of the engine compartment?
Thanks again guys, glad to be a part of family, and i can tell you after only 3 days of ownership and 4 afternoons of boating in a 30 year old correct craft I WILL be an correct craft owner for life.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 11:32am
I think the answer to one of your questions is that it's the drain from the battery box. Mine is a little newer so I may be a little off base.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new toy; we luv ours!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 11:50am
AJ
Congrats on the boat. I've been watching that boat for months, It was only 20 miles from my office. I chose not to take the drive out and see it in person, because my wife would have killed me when I returned home with a second BFN.
I'm guessing that it runs pretty well, based on your comments.
I had a stereo installed on my '85. It's behind the observer seat (sort of by mistake), but is operated using a remote Ipod connection. Speakers were installed on the sides, in front of the rear seat, utilizing additional carpeted panels. I'll try to get pics this weekend.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 11:53am
Just a suggestion, put a prop gaurd on your trailer. The BFN's hang a bit lower in the rear.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 1:51pm
Pictures of your stereo would be awesome. And yea the trailer has definately seen better days, i was amazed that it made it the 5 1/2 hour interstate trip back home. That will be one of the first winter overhauls. Speaking of that, do you guys know where i can find the bolt on guides that are used on the sides towards the rear of the trailer? Both of them were broken off this trailer and its a beast to get loaded on our river here at night without those bad boys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 3:24pm
Oh yea, and about the two pipes. I haven't had a chance to dig under the battery at all yet but there's 2 pipes and both have valves on them to open and close them. And one has a male pioe thread on it and the other has a female pioe thread. I'm new to these boats but I would think that there would only be one if it was a drain? Ill try to get a picture of it then I'm sure someone will know.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There are 2 models with varying cup (1458 has .135 cup, 1598 has .080 cup) that Im hoping to try soon. Bill Weeks from Acme said that the 1598 really wakes up a stock 330hp 454... the 1458 almost robs too many RPM's for a stock motor.

Tim you're going to have to let me know how this turns out if you do end up trying both props. I would be real interested in the results. How do you think the results would carryover to our 85 SN hull?   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic