NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easier???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
starbucksdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbucksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easier???
    Posted: August-07-2009 at 3:58pm
Any one ever use any thing easier than teak cleaner to clean a platform?That stuff requires a ton of work...Thanks...
starbucksdad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 4:08pm
What else besides teak cleaner are you using? A rag? A brass bristle brush and a lot of water will make short work of the teak. Carefully using a power washer to raise the grain a bit beforehand works too- but go easy on the psi.
starbucksdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbucksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 5:36pm
Been using a very stiff brush (not metal) and a lot of water,crud eventually comes off but there has got to be something that cuts the dirt better....
starbucksdad
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 10:59am
Don't use a pressure washer!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 2:25am
Sorry it's tough. I've used those three step systems on several different platforms and always thought it was easy, not hard. A stiff brush like Tim said is what you need.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
trihartsfield View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trihartsfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:11pm
If the platform is rough should you do any sanding to smooth it before you clean and seal?
Chris
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:41pm
I wet sanded mine this spring with 400,600,800 and 1500 before I sealed it and it looks great.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 2:10pm
DO NOT SAND YOUR PLATFORM!!!

The screws are only 1/8 below the surface. The PO of my boat sanded the platform. After a few more years of use the screw tips started showing.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

DO NOT SAND YOUR PLATFORM!!!

The screws are only 1/8 below the surface.

It would take a LOT of sanding with 400-1500 grit to mill it down 1/8".

Ive sanded my platform pretty aggressively to remove the varnish that was on it. Ive followed up by a few rounds of wetsanding to smooth it out... no screws poking through!
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 2:43pm
Seems like it really depends on the condition of the platform as to what needs to be done. I tried cleaner and a brush on mine first, but it was so far gone that sanding was the only option. I had to go more aggressive than 400 too. The screws on mine were already poking through before I began trying to restore. I just hit them with a grinding wheel on my dremel and then went to work with sandpaper. It came out ok, but it still doesn't look as good as the teak trim in the boat. After 20 years of abuse, the best option for my boat is probably just going to be a new platform. For now though, it's usable and somewhat presentable.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:21pm
My latest project was to restore a platform that was in a boat yard for over 20 years. The top was black, mold stained and burned into the wood by the sun. The bottom still had the remains of a thick marine varnish peeling and extremely adherent in spots......... did I mention the splattering of bottom paint as well?

A stiff metal brush (with the grain) knocked down 80-90% of the physical debris and raised the grain slightly to allow the teak cleaner to get in the teak. Teak is supposed to be an open wood, open grain is good! I think fine sanding is unnecessary.......

Elbow grease, Elbow Grease!! Dry wire brush followed by the teak cleaner with a bristle brush, moderate/heavy grit sand the rough spots and you will be amazed.. sun dry and apply teak oil, with many coats - not EASY but REALLY effective!

I post pics once it's cut to size and finally oiled.............Amazing turn around!!

Steve
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

I think fine sanding is unnecessary

This is absolutely true. This is a new method I tried last year and it makes the platform look like a fine piece of furniture! Nice, but certainly not required.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic