Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Southwind Top Speed Issues (Is it the foam??)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southwind Top Speed Issues (Is it the foam??)
    Posted: August-08-2009 at 9:12pm
I wanted to take a poll of Southwind, and '86-'89 Martiniques (deep vee) owners regarding top speed. I have a 351 in my SW 18, and last year before motor rebuild....38 mph @ 4500 rpm on gps. This year after budget rebuild (same pistons/new rings).....38 mph @ 4500 rpm on gps. I thought for sure it would pick up a couple of mph, but, not the case.

I am running a 13" x 13" std. prop, and it does have a little ding in it. However, I would not think that would cause it to be 4-6 mph slower. I have a spare that is in good shape, but, have not had time to try it yet. I keep hearing or reading that the Southwinds should go 42-44 mph.

What are you other Southwind, or Martinique, owners with 351's getting for top speed?

For anybody that has replaced your foam, what kind of top end speed did you pick up? What other variables are there to help increase the top end with a standard 351?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 1:55am
David - How clean is your hull? It is alot of work, but buffing the hull & waxing will net you some speed. You will have to pull the trailer from under it. I did this last fall & the hull has stayed pretty clean still. Just a thought - this would be a time,not money, investment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 2:08am
David i have a 74 southwind 20' 351w i checked my top speed with a gps a few day ago and hit 45mph fairly easy but my tach showing 5500 everbody says that motor will not turn that many rpms in that boat also the engine has been changed it's now has a left hand prop and i am running a 13x12
dp1
MUCQB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUCQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 10:15am
David,

I had my Southwind up to 40 MPH, but it took 5300 RPM's on my Chevy 350. It has to be the foam, just like mine. I haven't been in the boat since I heard the sloshing of watr in my hull. I really don't want to pull my floor again but, I have to if I want a solid boat. Polish the hull and pull the floor this winter. We can trade notes and pics on the site so the guys can help us do it right!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 11:02am
Do you have a swim deck? If so, how close to the water does it sit?

Eric has a tool to measure it.    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 11:17am
Regarding checking for wet foam, see if you can pull the trailer/boat to a scale and get the weight. If they won't let you unhook and use the tongue jack stand, put it on the bathroom scale when you get home and add that to the truck scales weight. Add a estimate for the trailer which I would guess at about 750. Subtract the weight of the gas (45.9 lbs/cu, ft.) and the battery then compare that to the dry weight listed in the ref section.

I'd say in a SW 18 or 20 it's easy to have 500 to 600 extra lbs. with wet foam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 11:49am
what did they use that stuff for again? flotation
"the things you own will start to own you"
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 12:18pm
Hey guys....Thanks for the input. I will try to answer a few questions here.

1.) The hull is very clean. It nevers sits in the water overnight, and I buffed the bottom out last season.

2.) Prop Size: 13x12 vs. 13x13. Interesting. I assumed this boat came with a 13x13 from the factory, but, maybe it didn't. However, wouldn't a 13x12 give it a better hole shot than a 13x13??

3.) No swim platform, but, I use the exhaust outlets as my gauge. The water comes up halfway on them. I did take the front bench seat out this year, and that removed about 150 Lbs. of weight, so they sit a little lower than before I took it out. Replaced them with bucket seats on pedestals. Much better for driving with skiers, tubers, etc.

And....I am not sure if I really want to know about Eric's tool for taking those measurements

4.) I do want to get the boat out to a scale so I can weigh it. I think Pete has a good idea to determine if the boat is way over the ~2250 Lbs. the brochure says it should weigh.

5.) I am also thinking its kind of ironic that some people want to add hundreds of pounds of water to their new boats for a better wakeboard wake, and some of us want to eliminate the water in our old boats for top end speed. However, we are starting to get into wakeboarding......Hmmmmmm!!!

I guess I am looking at this as a challenge to see what I can get out of the old gal by using everything stock...ie...clean hull, std. prop, stock engine, etc. All signs are pointing to WET FOAM!! Maybe I better get over to Wal-Mart to stock up on swimming noodles before the end of the season
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 12:18pm
It is a sneaky way to add ballast on top of the max capacity rating!

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

tubers   

Here's the problem!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jd burton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jd burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 11:19pm
We have a 84 southwind with a stock 351w and a 1608 prop.
WOT 4600 rpm-45 mph. This was indicated numbers, original tach and spedo. On the ski ride and foot talk, under prop suggestions are all the rpm and mph numbers we took last week.
I think the credit goes to eric for the fine rebuild on the tranny, the tips on allingment,and a new acme prop.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 10:35pm
I finally had a chance to take the boat to a large scale today at a metal scrapyard in Woodstock, IL. My Mercury Mountaineer, boat and trailer weighed 8500 Lbs. Unhooked the boat, and just weighed the Mountaineer. SUV only was 4900 Lbs.

8500 SUV/Boat/Trailer
-4900 SUV only
=3600 Lbs. Weight of boat and trailer

I have read on this site that a single axle trailer weighs around 750. With a quarter tank of gas, and other gear on the boat, I can round that extra weight to ~250 Lbs.

Boat/Trailer=3600
Minus Trailer, Fuel, Gear=1000
Approximate Boat Weight=2600 Lbs.

The Correct Craft brochure indicates the "approximate" weight of this boat is 2300 Lbs. So, I have an extra ~300 Lbs. over what it should weigh. I am guess that is water in the foam. Do these calculations make sense to you guys.

Now the big question....is it worthwhile cutting the floor out and replacing the foam with the goal being increasing top speed by 4-6 MPH? Assuming there is 300 Lbs. of water in the foam, I am not sure that would increase the speed that much. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:09am
David - You might want to drill a test hole & take a core sample of the foam. If it is that wet, you have stringer rot in your future. You might want to take a core sample of that too!

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:17am
Chris....That is a great idea. I take it the best way to do it is to drill a hole in the floor, and then find a device to auger out a sample of the foam through the hole. Do you know of a device that would do that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 7:48pm
David - I would use a hole saw to cut thru the floor. Maybe 1 inch or even bigger. Then you can grab the foam somehow, which I think is pretty easy to break free. The other guys will surely chime in with ideas, maybe a claw grabber?

If it is soaked, I think you would be able to tell right away.

Guys, what is the most likely spot for the foam to be saturated? Around the engine?

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic