Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard pylon
    Posted: August-18-2009 at 10:37pm
I am considering gettig a wakeboard pylon but I am just begining to wakeboard. So my question is are they worth the money? What are the pros and cons? YES I WILL KEEP THE RING AND FINGER!!!!!!!!!

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2009 at 10:58pm
Sam - The extended pylon gets the rope up & out of everyone's way. It helps get the boarder up quickly & supposedly helps them get air, although I wouldn't know anything about that!

They are not supposed to be used for skiing, esp. slalom, as that pulls to the side too much.

I recommend the extended pylon, esp. on a older model as an alternative to a tower.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2009 at 11:20pm
The pylon will be much better for you if you are wakeboarding. I hope you are able to save your ring and finger, I did my best with penetrant, slowly working it out and I still ended up having to cut it off after I bent and gouged it pretty bad when it hung up while I was rotating it with a cheater bar. And I use my pole to pull everything. Although I have rarely pulled a slalom skier.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:22am
I will buy one of the brackets available in the store so I wont damage the ring and finger. Yes I would be using the skylon just for wake boarding. So is it worth the money or should I put it in the tank?
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:26am
Dues it efect the way the boat maneuvers when towing? Will I what will I notice?
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:27am
Definately worth the money. Look for a good used one though. They work just as good and you can get one for half the price. I searched craiglist and got a guy to ship me one for $175. I saw them cheaper, but couldn't get people to ship them.
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:31am
It will not affect the way your boat pulls significantly. There will be a little more side pull when someone goes way outside the wake, but you will notice more of a difference in the upward pull you get out of the water. Makes getting up eaisier, especially on new wakeboarders.
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:32am
they are nice. they get heavy though when you put the board racks on them and if you take the racks off every time you ride it is annoying as well. mine on my 94 is a pain because it is so heavy to lift it up and drop it through the bimini top. i know it is not a popular move, but on my 80 that i am rebuilding i am doing a tower.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:37am
So can you pull and still have the rack up? I wouldn't want to take the rack down every time I pull someone. I can pick up one for 150.00 and its two miles up the road.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

Sam's 73
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:38am
Supposedly it is good for barefooting too (although I have never footed behind one).

Personally, I'm not a fan of them...

Learning how to load the line and pop off of the wake before adding the "crutch" is the way to go.....

coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:42am
yes. the rack stays up all the time while you tow. i will attach a picture of my '94 with the bimini and rack. and i agree with not adding the "crutch" too soon. it is easier to learn to load the line (IMO) and it will encourage riders to learn to ride switch before learning to jump, which is nice because that is what makes the landing easier. you will be more proficient in your riding before you are jumping.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:43am
Benefits in my mind.

1. Gets the rope up and out of the way for riders in the back seat. If you don't have ballast, those riders will help significantly with the size of your wake.

2. Helps with the amount of air you are going to get off of the wake, due to the reduced force on the line. Once you go above the tow point, the rope will pull you back to the water.

3. Easier to get a rider up out of the water due to the upward pull.

4. All though the racks you can get for them are cumbersome, they do get the boards off the floor. Not a big deal if its just you and a buddy, but if you got 2+ boarders in the boat with their own boards, it would be beneficial.

5. Tower is definately the way to go if all you want is functionalality, but most on the board like the original lines of the older boats as do I, and the plylon is a much less expensive way to give you the same riding experience without modifying the classic look of your boat.
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 12:59am
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
bilau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 6:39pm
I'm thinking about getting an extended pylon too. I'm sold on the benefits of it, but my problem is the height. I've got a shorestation boat lift with a canopy and wouldn't be able to get the pylon in under that. Can you slip them on and off easily every time you go out? or is it a more involved process?
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 6:54pm
You can buy two piece and one piece versions. The two piece make the process a little easier, but you would have to unrachet the pylon from the front mounting point everytime you put your boat up and reattach it everytime you went out, not too much of a pain, just another step in getting ready to ride. I have a two piece and I have to take upper section off everytime I put the boat under my carport.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 7:20pm
Sam B-----If you can get one for $150, buy it! and get the CCf approved bracket to save the ring.

While not necessary for a beginner it doesaid getting up by pulling you up.

biau ------- I have a Fly high S.S.two piece that literally takes less than 1 min to put on or off. I release the ratchet and lift off the top section so i fit under the lift canopy. I leave the sling and carabina on and hook to the front lifting ring. When wakeboarding I put the pole on unclip the carabina,and hitch the ratchet to the sling. ready to go. I do have to have my bimini down or off. I plan to have a door cut in during the winter.

Coach ---- What did you do to your bimini to get the pole through?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 8:15pm
I just have a 5' pylon in my boat. Does not need special rigging. Doesn't make the boat handle like crap. Holds the cover up. Fits under the canopy.

coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 2:57am
my Bimini has the hole cut in it with a flap that Velcros over when the pole is not up. i will try and get a picture for you tomorrow.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic