NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 8:13pm
Gary, if there was a 302 in there, you will run into ex. manifold clearance issues.There is a lot of width added to the 351,the motor will fit but the hood won't close.
A simple search will bring up all the info you need,my floor job is under:
Hi Teks installed
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 9:32pm
This guy and hasbeen cleaned out their hull completly without pancaking issues. This sure would make the refit easier to get straight!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

This guy and hasbeen cleaned out their hull completly without pancaking issues.

In case you didnt realize it, thats Pete Brainard's Tique. The previous owner redid the stringers.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 10:08pm
Wow!! Yup, just noticed the old thread being brought back to life. Tim is correct guys. That is my Tique - now!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 10:12pm
Pete, did you realize that your Tique is still listed in the diaries under the former owner? Might be cool to check out if you havent seen it:

Miss Merie II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 10:23pm
Tim, I did know it was still there. I talked to Mark a couple months after I got the boat and mentioned the listing. He didn't seem to excited about bothering to get in touch with Keith. I'll bet my Tique isn't the only same boat duplicate!
There's lots of boats in the "for sale" section too that people without any common courtesy neglect to tell Keith that the boat is sold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 11:23pm
That's the guy I bought the 1966 brochure from on ebay that I put on the site.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:14am
Oh, it's no big deal Pete. Kind of preserves the history and the stories behind the boats. It's all good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 6:56am
I didn't realize that was now Pete's Tique, but I have seen the picture several times. The thing about that pic that gets my attention is that the floor and strigers seem to be on the same plane. This is not the case with my boat.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The thing about that pic that gets my attention is that the floor and strigers seem to be on the same plane. This is not the case with my boat.

Yep, the BFN and its deep-V hull allow the motor to sit down lower. Most CC's have main stringers at floor height.
68Mustang16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Mustang16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:25pm
I am new and I am replacing my stringers in my 68 mustang16. I am at a loss for how to get back to the current subject that I post in. I have a 350 chevy in mine and i know you guys are purists, so I apologize in advance. Yes I did raise my engine cover and have married at least 6 different marine adaptations in the motor compartment. from the exhaust manifolds to the water pump etc. thank god for google.

I have dug out all rotted wood and kept my fiberglass gunnels for the main spar. I have cut new stringers to fit into the new gunnels. About 5 feet total on both sides. The rest of the stringers were drill tested and dried out for about 4 weeks with a covered hull and heater. I then used cepes to attach to the dried wood. about 4 quarts were poored into the drilled holes until it surfaced and the old stringers were saturated. I now am going to use the same cepes with fine sawdust put into the open gunnels and let it ooz out the top and then cover with resin and glass.

Now that I have seen some of these pics of totally new sub structure, amazing work by the way. should I do that and take all the structure out and replace the whole thing?

I have a plan but not confident when I see you experts in this forum. I want to get some pics so I can use you guys to help me!

can someone e-mail me and tell me how I can return to the same forum for follow up and help without searching for where my post is.

thanks folks.

gary    luckydog2023@gmail.com
Gary
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 6:50pm
ok maybe I'm wrong on this but isn't the gunnel the top portion along the sides of the boat where the tread plates are located and sit on?

did you use the rot doctor stuff?

it sounds like you just cut the top of the stringer off or the fiberglass that covers it. Post some pictures of what you have. It depends on how long you are going to keep the boat and weather or not you want to take on this job so close to spring.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:42pm
Gary, I have always recommended the replacement of all the wood when doing a stringer job. I don't feel it is really that much more work to completely go down to the bare hull. In fact, I feel less to just rip and cut rather than carefully cut, dig, drill and pour. Next, I would not want to chance the bond between the old and new wood. Completely dry? Did you use a moisture meter? You will not seal the bottom side of the old wood against the hull with epoxy. Moisture will get through the old polyester - it is hygroscopic and epoxy isn't. I have seen lots of "rot doctor" patches on wood boats. Looks good for awhile until the wood next to the "rot doctor" rots!

Yes, I too am curious like Chris if you are keeping the boat. Restoration? Post some pictures.

Welcome to CCfan. I hope you find all the info you are looking for and if not, just ask.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Mustang16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:22pm
Yes Gunnel is the wrong word, fiberglass shell that I cut the top off and dug the rotted wood out. I am keeping this boat forever I hope so time and labor are not an issue.

You guys are leaning twords take every piece of wood out and start again? It seams it may be the prudent course. I have a great 67 chrysler lonestar mustang to use this summer. That is a whole different story.

BC yes it is the rot doctor resin.
I will get som pics tonight and have them up on thursday.

thanks guys

gary
Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:39pm
Gary, welcome aboard! FWIW, I haven't found a dry spot in the pumpkin patch. Everything I've opened up has a puddle under it. My point I guess is be suspicious!
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:48am
Don't pull both stringers at the same time if you replace them and be carefull how you support the hull once you do so that, you maintain the hull's shape while the stringer is out. Also this gives you a template to use for the repair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Mustang16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:54am
The hull is without stringers and I have a bulge. I have bitten the head off the chicken so I am in for the long haul. The whole stringer assembly is comming out. the pics are close behind. thanks for the help and I just needed the nudge of doubt to do this the hard way. THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!!

Gary
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic