Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

offset alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: offset alignment
    Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:01pm
Ok, so the drive shaft is in and so is the engine. The alignment is pretty close but not close enough as it's slightly offset. Up and down seems pretty straighforward, but side movement doesn't look like it would be as easy. Any tricks you guys care to share or is it easier than I'm expecting?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:27pm
It helps to have a tiny bit of grease on the horizontal pins of the engine mounts. It's definately a place though where more is not better; too much grease and it won't stay where you put it while you bolt it down.

I wrap an old towel around a crow bar to shift the engine left to right.

Did you run your engine mounts through a wire brush? If they're rusty, it'll make your project that much harder.

I would also consider new isolators if you haven't. They're a PITA too but make a big difference.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:34pm
Some blaster on your mounts the night before works well. Then lube them up with never-sieze before moving them.

I don't use a crow bar....a wrench works good, a crow bar makes it bind where you can stick a wrench in and not bind it up. Once you get it close lightly tighten one side and load the other to get it perfect.

Its a good two person job.

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It helps to have a tiny bit of grease on the horizontal pins of the engine mounts. It's definately a place though where more is not better; too much grease and it won't stay where you put it while you bolt it down.

I wrap an old towel around a crow bar to shift the engine left to right.

Did you run your engine mounts through a wire brush? If they're rusty, it'll make your project that much harder.

I would also consider new isolators if you haven't. They're a PITA too but make a big difference.

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you talking about hitting the horizontal pins and the hole they go in with a wire brush? If so, I did not. They don't look too rusty from the outside, but I guess they could be worse on the inside.

What are you prying against with the crow bar?

I hadn't considered new isolators either... wish I would have though now! I might have to hold off until next year on those. They don't look too bad right now, but they are 20 years old and probably could stand to be replaced.

Thanks!
Ryan
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Some blaster on your mounts the night before works well. Then lube them up with never-sieze before moving them.

I don't use a crow bar....a wrench works good, a crow bar makes it bind where you can stick a wrench in and not bind it up. Once you get it close lightly tighten one side and load the other to get it perfect.

Tim,
Blaster sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely give them a shot.

What do you mean about sticking a wrench in? I'm not following how that would work...

Thanks!
Ryan
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:50pm

My wife isn't going to be happy to hear that!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 5:58pm
Ryan-

Take an open end wrench (about 3/4 or so) and put it around the round rods that support the tranny. You can then move them left/right to get the back of the engine to move. I usually just load one side and then lightly tap the opposite with a mallet to get it to move. Its tough to explain.....are you understanding?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:12pm
I have to wonder if PB blaster is good for rubber. Don't be upset with me Tim.

You have the same year boat as I do so I would expect the engine mounts to be the same or similar. The front is all aluminum except for the base and the rears have a steel trundle. I ran mine through a a wire brush on a grinder. Got 'em cleaned up and then repainted.

I use the crow bar against the base of the engine mount as I didn't want to scratch the new bilge...still scratched the brackets a little even with the towel.

I'm no Eric Levine, but I have had to re-align the BFN a few times. <--mostly because of the mistakes I had already made. LOL

On the isolators, do consider it. They don't cost much except that you already have the engine in place. How did you set it? The engine only has to lifted a tiny bit to get the mounts apart.

Speaking of hard rubber, you wouldn't believe what I went through to r&r the old isolators. I had to use a razor knife to cut the old ones out. They were there for 20 years and wanted to stay!

This post is gonna be easy to hack, but I fiddled and futzed until I got it right. I'm standing by my wine glass on the dash statement even though wine has not been on the boat.

1988 BFN-sold

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:13pm

Ryan-

Take an open end wrench (about 3/4 or so) and put it around the round rods that support the tranny. You can then move them left/right to get the back of the engine to move. I usually just load one side and then lightly tap the opposite with a mallet to get it to move. Its tough to explain.....are you understanding?

I think so... so you are prying with the wrench on one side of the tranny and then tapping the support on the other side of the tranny with a mallet to help walk it over?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by ryanowen ryanowen wrote:

What do you mean about sticking a wrench in? I'm not following how that would work

LMAO!!! I know I'm gonna get hammered so...    
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:23pm
Tim is dead on about the mallet. The mounts will tend to 'push'. Tap 'em back. They won't go far, but when we're talking about .003" clearance...
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:26pm

but I have had to re-align the BFN a few times.

Is this because of you pulling the engine to clean the bilge?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:36pm

I have to wonder if PB blaster is good for rubber. Don't be upset with me Tim.

I was talking about the pins the engine slides port/starbord on, not the rubber parts

I just feel like you can work with the wrench easier than the crow bar....

Tim

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:46pm

On the isolators, do consider it. They don't cost much except that you already have the engine in place. How did you set it? The engine only has to lifted a tiny bit to get the mounts apart.

Cherry picker to get the motor in place. I'm getting kind of anxious to get this thing going again, but I'll re-consider the isolators. Where did you get them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That's it Pete, there was this little spot and there isn't a 1/2" under the back of my transmission. And just how would you act if it wasn't quite right?   

I so hate that I couldn't bring my boat to GL...you would've been proud!

I still have to work on the 'top side', but I learned so much here and the Godfather gave me a leg up on getting it back to way it left the factory.     

1988 BFN-sold

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by ryanowen ryanowen wrote:

What do you mean about sticking a wrench in? I'm not following how that would work

LMAO!!! I know I'm gonna get hammered so...    

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 7:04pm
Greg,
Now that I know you repainted your mounts, I'm kind of ashamed to post this! Curious though if the mounts are similar..

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 7:10pm
Having worked with Mr. Steve Meloon (has since past away) and Art Cozier for nearly 20 years. I learned about precise alignment and what impacts miss or mal-aligned couplers can have on performance and longevity of components.
One thing that I have never been able to do is accurately describe the process to someone that has never done it. One of those things that needs to be witnessed before tackling for the first time.

Also would like to try and understand how to use a wrench instead of a prybar.
Always open to new tactics!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 8:22pm
I follow you Jody. I've expended some harsh language and nuckle skin to learn it...with a lot of help from this site! I had Tim laughing about having most of my engine apart on the dock, so give it a run Ryan. After about 3 nasty words you'll have it.

Same set-up.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

One thing that I have never been able to do is accurately describe the process to someone that has never done it. One of those things that needs to be witnessed before tackling for the first time.

Jody,
Have you ever seen Eric's pictorial thread on alignment? I think it's pretty good. Eric's alignment We've directed many a new person to alignment to the thread and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 2:04am
Where the heck is Eric anyway???...

Probably sporting around in my favorite shirt (that he stole from GL!)

saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 4:28am
hey man
I used a car jack on the side of the motor and it moved in tiny as you want incraments.
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 7:09pm

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Jody,
Have you ever seen Eric's pictorial thread on alignment? I think it's pretty good. Eric's alignment We've directed many a new person to alignment to the thread and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Yes very nice pictures and all but like I said most don't really get the idea until they have seen it done.
Have seen and talked to many people that claim they know how to install a prop and then when they call me back and or bring the boat for vibration it usally turns out to be riding on the key!
We do about three full alignments and checks per week. I have had to use a small porta power jack in bigger cruiser type inboards to realign. Walter V-drives also is an art to re-align as one has to think from the other end of the motor to align the coupler.
Now my 10* Casale V-drive is rather fun one as everything is hard-mounted to the stringer and thru bolted. Takes better part of a morning to align and set one up.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 1:41am
Man alive. This thing won't budge sideways for me. I've soaked it with PB. I even tried picking up on it with the cherry picker to take some pressure off the horizontal pins. It was off about 1/4 inch and I've moved it about 1/8 but it won't go any further. Didn't want to have to take it back out, but it looks like I might have to.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 11:58am
Randy, Im saving that shirt for the colder weather

Ryan, did you remove the pinch bolts, yours look pretty clean and i wouldnt think you would have a problem with them
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Where the heck is Eric anyway???...

Probably sporting around in my favorite shirt (that he stole from GL!)

He's got my coozie too!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 1:44pm
And now we get back to crow bars...
1988 BFN-sold

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 2:22pm
Eric,

I didn't remove the pinch bolts completely, but I did loosen them by tapping them back down. Do they need to come completely out?

The only thing I can think to do next is pull the engine out and remove and clean up these pins.

Greg,

The 3 foot crow bar isn't even moving this thing!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 3:21pm
Greg - If you support the engine, I think you can just remove the stubborn mount without fully pulling the engine. Then you can un-bind the mount on your workbench & re-install.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 3:36pm
Ryan,
The pinch bolts don't need to come completely out. They simply squeeze the block around the round pin. Sounds like they are really rusted in there but it's common.

Chris is correct, that you really don't need to pull the engine just tilt one end at a time. However, if you already have it hanging from the engine lift, it may be easier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic