NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rope trim help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rope trim help!!!!
    Posted: August-22-2009 at 4:25pm
i pulled the old rope trim out and purchased 1/2" nylon rope to replace it ...but i have tried everything and in over 1 hour have only managed to get about 2 ft back in>>> is there an easier way than putty knives and brute force? 78sn
please!!!!
dave
do it right the first time...
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 4:41pm
Go buy a piece of copper tubing, I think I got a 3inch piece at Lowes, put the pipe in the rub rail and feed the rope into the pipe. You will be done in no time. If the pipe doesn't slide to easily spay a little soap and water to make it slide.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 5:22pm
Pull the boat out in the hot August sun so that the rubber will heat up and become a little more pliable. I just replaced mine about 3 weeks ago and it took me longer to clean all the mildew and dirt out of the track than it did to replace the rope itself.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 6:15pm
thanks i will give it a try.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 8:43pm
Rookie,

I also saw where someone has a thread showing that he used a Boxed End Wrench to feed it through. The Cooper Pipe sounds like the ticket. Do a search and you will see the picture of the Boxed End Wrench. Remember that the search function does not go back but a few months. You have to go to the advance search function and set it to search for a year, I think. I wish it would go back even deeper.

Donald
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 11:46pm
thanks Morfoot for getting the ole brain working...went in much more easily! looks fantastic!!
you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rookie
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 1:56am
Hello, I did that post awhile back..... Search for (Rub Rail ROPE Install tool)

1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by rookie rookie wrote:

thanks Morfoot for getting the ole brain working...went in much more easily! looks fantastic!!
you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rookie

No problem David, glad I could help..............

Naw, I ain't da man but just remember one thing:

"You'll only get out of this site what your able to contribute to it!"

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 4:12pm
Is 1/2" the right size rope? I will be putting new rubber and rope on my '85 soon and I thought I saw a tread that said it was 5/8 rope.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 4:30pm
I put 5/8" in my '78 Tique... Brad put the same in his '86 SN. I dont think 1/2" is correct, but Im sure it went in much easier!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic